follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 03-23-2017, 08:53 PM   #15
zackegle

Drives: 2013 brz limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theadmiral976 View Post
What fuel are you running? Your AFRs are very high - I would flash back to stock mapping until you know what's going on.

Also, I know you said "stock," but I just want to make sure...you haven't changed your intake system at all, have you? Your MAF voltage isn't responding as aggressively as I would expect during your higher RPM runs.
The car actually runs "better" (still lean) on the stage 1 tune compared to stock, where my ratios get even worse.. im thinking the MAF sensor might be damaged as the issue only came up after i had another issue with the throttle body and a small plastic piece got stuck in it.. im going to take apart the intake and see if any gaskets or so broke as thats what the piece of plastic most likely resembled
zackegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:57 PM   #16
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
I'm wondering if that plastic wasn't a piece of the intake and left a big hole after the MAF sensor.
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:59 PM   #17
zackegle

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybo View Post
I found your other thread about this issue. You're throwing lean and direct injector codes. You also had some plastic stuck in your throttle body. I wonder how plastic got in your intake. I'd start by tearing down the entire intake and checking out how that happened. Normally with a fuel issue, you swap injectors from one bank to the other and see if the problem follows. But on this car I don't know how difficult that is
yea im going to tear down the intake system and see if anything looks odd, the black plastic piece i found looks like it could have come from the front parts of the airbox.. i have only gotten the injector code once but constantly getting the lean issue so i dont think its the injector or i hope not as i dont know how to troubleshoot that. Also the cel only seems to pop up during idle(stop lights, starting the car, ect) thats why i dont have any maps of high rpms
Old 03-23-2017, 10:27 PM   #18
zackegle

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybo View Post
I'm wondering if that plastic wasn't a piece of the intake and left a big hole after the MAF sensor.

so i took apart the intake and looked at the maf sensor it looks fine physically, no weird looking issues with the tubing or intake, i did a vacuum test with smoke, no leaks to be found so im guessing its either the injector or the maf sensor i guess im heading back to the dealership again (sigh..)
thanks for ideas though hopefully now that i have some insight on what the issue could be, hopefully the dealer will actually try to do something instead of just clear my codes
Old 03-24-2017, 02:06 PM   #19
jwvand02

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zackegle View Post
so i took apart the intake and looked at the maf sensor it looks fine physically, no weird looking issues with the tubing or intake, i did a vacuum test with smoke, no leaks to be found so im guessing its either the injector or the maf sensor i guess im heading back to the dealership again (sigh..)
thanks for ideas though hopefully now that i have some insight on what the issue could be, hopefully the dealer will actually try to do something instead of just clear my codes
Have you touched the exhaust? I'm still really confused as to how in the world you could possibly have plastic in your TB unless something broke in your intake tract.

Have you ever disassembled the intake tract? I got a DI code once because I forgot to replace the hidden bolt on the bottom side of the DI ECU where it attaches to the head.
jwvand02 is offline   Reply With Quote