follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 06:49 PM   #183
Jen

Drives: 2016 WRX, 2016 Corvette Z51 3LT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche View Post
Maybe it's the high pressure fuel pump that you were hearing; it's noisy, and that's normal. In fact, with a little luck, it'll start "chirping" after a few thousand miles. Ticking and chirping.

Some people have their fuel pumps replaced. Repeatedly, even. Some people's cars burn to the ground from sloppy fuel pump replacements.

Not me, not mine. Fuel pump chirping is a FEATURE, not a problem.
I actually mentioned the fuel pump to them. But, I really think it was lifter tick. Here's my scientific evaluation- bent push rod. If I was a betting (wo)man, I would say that someone was riding this car hard, drove it like a race car, and the speed of the depression of the push rod was too much and it's bent.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:22 PM   #184
Porsche

Drives: 2013 BRZ Ltd. MT
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
Here's my scientific evaluation- bent push rod.

Nuuuu... back to the books, girl! LOL! No pushrods in our overhead cam engines.

You're thinking of those big American V8s of yours.

Still ... I hear ya.

Quote:
If I was a betting (wo)man, I would say that someone was riding this car hard, drove it like a race car, and ...
Yeah, well, that's the problem with cars that have been test driven. There's no time to warm them up, generally, and people often tend to get on them hard. After all, how ELSE are they to learn what it's got? It's a lot of money to spend, and who wants to just GUESS what it's got? You gotta get your boot in it, don't you?

It's worrisome.

Perhaps you might want to consider spending the extra money to get a brand new, right off the truck, never driven BRZ Limited in the color of your choice? Granted, that's going to cost a good bit more.

What does your husband think?
Old 04-12-2014, 08:41 PM   #185
Jen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche View Post
Nuuuu... back to the books, girl! LOL! No pushrods in our overhead cam engines.

You're thinking of those big American V8s of yours.

Still ... I hear ya.

Yeah, well, that's the problem with cars that have been test driven. There's no time to warm them up, generally, and people often tend to get on them hard. After all, how ELSE are they to learn what it's got? It's a lot of money to spend, and who wants to just GUESS what it's got? You gotta get your boot in it, don't you?

It's worrisome.

Perhaps you might want to consider spending the extra money to get a brand new, right off the truck, never driven BRZ Limited in the color of your choice? Granted, that's going to cost a good bit more.

What does your husband think?
HA!!! No pushrods. HAHAHAHHAHA oh man. Based on what I know about my cars, that would be the issue for a new engine with lifter tick. If there are no push rods, then...um....yeah. No clue. Is it the fuel pump??!

I started looking at YouTube videos to find a video with the fuel pump issue and that's pretty close to the sound. Why a new car would sound like that is disturbing. He was like, "you really want to get one of those cars?!?"

I am concerned that a car with under 200 miles would have issues like this.

I also think there were ECU issues with the car with the initial idle. The car wasn't idling right. I didn't watch the tach long enough, but it sounded like the revs dropped. This happened with the Challenger and we needed to get a new computer.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:42 PM   #186
Atropine

Drives: 2021 Toyota Supra 2020 4Runner
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Could just be Crickets?
Old 04-12-2014, 08:46 PM   #187
Jen

A new car shouldn't go, "tick, tick, tick, tick" though. Is something that you guys are okay with or would you go to the dealer and replace the fuel pump if the car is still under warranty? That would drive me crazy. It's the sound of lifter tick.

On a positive note, this does look like a car I could actually work on. If the car is older, I can usually follow a Haynes manual and know what to do with it. With the newer cars, I don't touch them except for oil changes.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:53 PM   #188
Chad86
DrivinginDreams...Cloud86

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atropine View Post
Could just be Crickets?
Crickets...Apparently this was corrected for 2014. Fuel pump issue or something.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:58 PM   #189
Jen

So, should I forget about a 2013 and just get a 2014 when the 2015s come out?
Old 04-12-2014, 10:43 PM   #190
Chazbo

Drives: 2020 Blue One
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Jen,
The boxster engine does tick. It's a little strange. My advice, order up one of them puppies, put a deposit down so they hold your car for no one else to drive, so you can relish in the fact that you put a low 2 digit number on the amount of miles on the car. If you get a car shipped to you from another dealership, they are likely going to give you one that has been test driven and assclowned by multiple people prior to your inheritance. Not to mention scratches and other aesthetically displeasing visuals.

To me, having read all of your posts, you seem dead set on an FR-S/BRZ.

My experience with this car so far has been positive. You are going to get the envious people driving Hyundai Genesis Coupes riding your ass wishing they were in your car instead of theirs, while they are still making payments on theirs. I just shrug and laugh internally. I get the envious vibe also from multiple muscle cars guys. I sense it. I witness it when I freaking blow them away in the twisty roads of Austin, as I approach a stoplight coasting in, and watch them limp up about 5 seconds later. That internal pleasure, without showing it to the outside world is what it is all about for me. I love this car. Her name is Veronica.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chazbo For This Useful Post:
Chad86 (04-12-2014)
Old 04-12-2014, 11:46 PM   #191
Jen

I found your cricket thread and watched the videos. That's exactly what the car was doing, so it's a fuel pump issue. I can't agree that's its normal. My husband heard the video and I read him a bunch of the posts. Some guys are on their third fuel pump. He's against it and I can understand why. People with the 2014 are reporting the same issues.

I think the car is awesome, but this could be a deal breaker. It was for me today at least.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:54 PM   #192
Chad86
DrivinginDreams...Cloud86

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I found your cricket thread and watched the videos. That's exactly what the car was doing, so it's a fuel pump issue. I can't agree that's its normal. My husband heard the video and I read him a bunch of the posts. Some guys are on their third fuel pump. He's against it and I can understand why. People with the 2014 are reporting the same issues.

I think the car is awesome, but this could be a deal breaker. It was for me today at least.
Go and drive one without crickets and you may change your mind.

If you aren't driving this car 6 months from now you will regret that you didn't get it sooner when you finally do!

Old 04-12-2014, 11:55 PM   #193
Annahra

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ LTD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
It's a known quirk of the car. No associated performance problems, even with several cars exhibiting it for 30K+ mi.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-2014, 11:56 PM   #194
Boxer486
Banned

Drives: small
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
I drove an automatic BRZ yesterday and didn't like it at all.
I had the same impression the first time I drove an auto 86, hated it. Then I learned it had like 30 permutations of settings or some ridiculous combination of possible known/unknown settings.

Make sure with the car in park, you disable traction control so both lights are off and hit the sport button on the transmission, not VSC sport. Then shift down to M for paddle use. Just to make sure you have an accurate picture before you decide. If you already did all this nvm.

Edit- nvm, saw your answer.

Last edited by Boxer486; 04-13-2014 at 12:08 AM.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:05 AM   #195
Boxer486
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
Plus autos don't last as long as manuals.
I'm going to have to disagree with your generalization there. By the time an auto needs major service most people have burned through a couple of clutches already. Not to mention the stock auto on the 86 is rated at nearly 3x's the power handling capacity of the manual.

I'd likely blame the owner for poor maintenance on a gummed up transmission more than the transmission design itself. No comment on Nissan build quality in general.

Actually I'm pretty sure a decent portion of those 200, 300, 400k Volvos and Toyotas you see have autos in them.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:07 AM   #196
Boxer486
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Sports + Manual is no different than Manual on it's own. Sport + Auto changes how aggressive it is.
Yes it is! Shift speed is noticeably slower and the shift lock out points are different for certain gears. I drove it in Manual w/o Sport the first time on a test drive and pretty much gave up on the car thinking all the auto praise was just BS and hype.

Closed Thread

Tags
camaro vs crickets, pushrodslol, trollmageddon, where's my popcorn