follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 06-14-2012, 01:55 AM   #43
coufal

Drives: black brz limited manual (August)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Congrats on getting your BRZ so fast. Ive really enjoyed this thread. I pre-ordred in houston on March 1st and still am not expecting to get my car until august or later. You have inspired me to start looking at other dealers.
Thanks sir!
coufal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:10 PM   #44
CLTBRZ

Drives: DGM DZE/01
Quote:
Originally Posted by inimitable View Post
Sucks that they mounted that fucking front plate. I tried to advise them against it, but I was too late, it was already on.

Sweet, we can curse in these forums...

Anyway, more pics tomorrow if/when I get a chance.
Mine is from Vermont, so it also had the front plate drilled immediately on arrival. I'm going to have to wait and see if removing the plate and leaving open holes looks better or worse than having the plate on there. I can hopefully find some black plugs to pop into the holes if it is too hideous.
CLTBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:20 PM   #45
Mtechnik

Drives: 99' SM, S54 & S52 M Coupes, 13' BRZ
Congrats man!!! Sorry to hear about the front plate, I am verifying with the dealer I am purchasing from about the front plate. It's all good... SSM FTMFW!!
13 BRZ Limited (delivered July 2nd)
Mtechnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:24 PM   #46
Mtechnik

Drives: 99' SM, S54 & S52 M Coupes, 13' BRZ
Just confirmed with Rafael at Star Subaru, no front plate! They don't install it until the car is picked up, they might have a few others available too, fyi
13 BRZ Limited (delivered July 2nd)
Mtechnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:19 PM   #47
inimitable

Drives: SSM 6-MT limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTBRZ View Post
Mine is from Vermont, so it also had the front plate drilled immediately on arrival. I'm going to have to wait and see if removing the plate and leaving open holes looks better or worse than having the plate on there. I can hopefully find some black plugs to pop into the holes if it is too hideous.
I haven't really given it a look, but I was wondering whether that matte black piece of plastic is removable and replaceable? If so, we might have an option to go that route.
inimitable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #48
inimitable

Drives: SSM 6-MT limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by coufal View Post
Congrats on getting your BRZ so fast. Ive really enjoyed this thread. I pre-ordred in houston on March 1st and still am not expecting to get my car until august or later. You have inspired me to start looking at other dealers.
Thanks sir!
Go for it!

I started looking semi-seriously Sunday, though, I was looking at and calling Toyota dealerships because I thought maybe an FR-S would be easier to find. I found one nearby and was able to test drive it. I thought I was going to take it home till the dealer came back with a price given to him by his finance manager, for $32K+!!!

After that experience, I lost a little bit of hope, but I was still determined to get what I wanted, and I decided that I was going to go for the Subaru (as I originally wanted) after all.

Monday, I got off to a late start, but I started making some calls around NJ, and a couple nearby in PA. I was able to find only one car that was close to what I wanted, at approx. MSRP; it was WRB. Thankfully, I couldn't make it up there before they closed, or I'd have probably taken that one, as well.

By Tuesday, I had a pretty solid technique - use the map from the Subaru, find a dealer link to identify target areas (coastal towns/cities = ports = more likely to have received a delivery, IMO; also, the bigger and more populated, the better). Then, I'd just Google the city/state and get the zip so that I could plug it in to the search and get the [next] 5 nearest dealerships. I'd view their inventory, and call them if it showed they had anything in stock; the BRZ is at the top of every list because they are in alphabetical order. If they had something I might be interested in, I'd call to confirm, and get a price.

Here's a tip: If the salesperson/dealer acts as if they are unsure or tries to be vague about the price, in other words, they try to give you anything other than an exact figure, down to the dollar, then they are probably looking to try and fuck with you. I spoke to a couple that tried to play dumb, but after speaking to those with integrity, the difference is night and day. A couple that I spoke with sounded as if they had never heard of going above MSRP.

Don't settle! Just keep calling, and you'll find what you're looking for. And keep in mind how fun the journey can be, even if you've got to take a plane to pick the car up. It will be so worth it. I'm sure, almost any dealership will pick you up from a nearby airport or train station. Then, you get to get very familiar with your car as you drive it back, and grind some of those 1,000 miles off, so you can really enjoy it.

Anyway, after coming so close on Monday, finding the WRB, I figured, I will sleep on it and I can always go and see it tomorrow. The thing is, I knew that if I drove 1-2 hours all the way up there, I don't care what color it was, I'd want it. I thought it was better to sleep on it, to make up my mind about the color; originally, I wanted to go with SSM; I thought it looked a bit more "luxurious," not to mention that I'm 30 years old; before I saw the BRZ, I was planning to get my first "grown-up car," and by that, I mean, I wanted a 4-door WRX.

So, by Tuesday, I woke up thinking that I definitely wanted to give the SSM a good amount of effort, and if I couldn't come up with one, I'd decide between the DGM (which I also felt had a little more grown-up appeal), or the WRB; don't get me wrong, I love the red and the white, but I think the red would be a major ticket magnet, and my past two cars were white. In any case, I got a hit! I wanted to get down there ASAP to try and scoop it up before I lost it, as it was not only in NJ (albeit, 2 hours North), but the salesman offered to sell it for $200 less than MSRP. I thought, this couldn't last....

Unfortunately, it was a little tough figuring out the logistics of traveling up there, and working out the financials. Things weren't looking too good. I wanted this car so badly, and I'm generally very impatient! Two hours is quite a hassle to have anyone drive, and then drive 2 hours more, immediately after, back. It's also not far enough to fly. As for the train, I'd have to travel almost an hour away to catch a train that would take me there in a reasonable amount of time, otherwise, I'd be looking at a 6+ hour bus/train trip! I went to bed that night ready to give up... it was either that, or I'd have to decide that I was All-in with this car and cause. It wasn't looking good; nothing some Xanax couldn't handle.

The next morning I woke up and decided that nothing was going to get in my way. I resolved the financials myself, looked up the train schedule, and away I went, relying on no one but myself. I'm very thankful and happy after the experience, and I couldn't be happier with the car. It was a lot of fun to drive it back (~100 miles), and I can't wait to see what it's really made of. This was my first time ever buying a new car. As a matter of fact, it's probably the first new car anyone in my entire family has ever bought.

The End
inimitable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:17 PM   #49
dori.
Seņor Member

Drives: white BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
congrats. I was gonna let you know that there was a dealer in NJ near me (I live in NY but am about 10 mins away from north NJ) that also had the SSM L/MT
dori. is offline   Reply With Quote