follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 06-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #15
BioRage

Drives: ~_~
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtechnik View Post
Thx! Just to clarify, I did not mean a WRX STi wing, meant the BRZ STi version perhaps (if it doesn't look huge & ridiculous).

For wheels, after 2nd glance RAYS might not be all that expensive afterall, the Rays 57 Xtreme defintiely look the part. Might just go to a 16x8 setup for the track, and keep the stockers for the street, although will have to see if that fitment is available.

Edit your op, because I almost .

I imagined a bright WRB STi wing on the small BRZ, haha.

16's seem to small.
BioRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:24 PM   #16
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
considering you haven't picked up the car yet, i'd give the oem suspension a chance before just throwing it away, unless you're just doing it for looks.

you need to figure out what your goals are for this car before you start adding performance parts to it. the car is very well balanced in its stock form. when you start tweaking things, you change that balance and can also make your car worse off.
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:19 AM   #17
Mtechnik

Drives: 99' SM, S54 & S52 M Coupes, 13' BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioRage View Post
Edit your op, because I almost .

I imagined a bright WRB STi wing on the small BRZ, haha.

16's seem to small.
Haha, yeah, an STi wing would be quite ridiculous. A wing isn't really neccessary, although aesthetically will be a nice addtion.

Smaller wheels are lighter in weight, thus reducing rotating mass and unspring weight, therefore quite an advantage in performace. Take a look at Miatas/MX-5's and the Grand-Am MINI's, they run 15" race wheels. The MINI's run a 15x8" race wheel! It looks like a 16X8" wheel will ideal for the BRZ, especially for track use. Although, I agree they look too small on the car.

I will probably leave the stock suspension for a few weeks just to see how the car performs out of the box. Then switch to an adjustable set-up that we can tune to our liking, IE- dial the understeer perhaps.
13 BRZ Limited (delivered July 2nd)

Last edited by Mtechnik; 06-12-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Mtechnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:15 PM   #18
Mtechnik

Changed dealers, since Ramsey Subaru was charging over MSRP, at MSRP with NO dealer fee, can't be happier than that! In addition to that this dealer ended up being closer to our wedding we are attending at the end of the month, only 15 mins away vs. 1hr.

I am persuing a wheel/tire & suspension purchase. Has anyone fitted XXR's in a staggered fitment yet?
Old 06-13-2012, 02:31 AM   #19
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
STI lip and TRD spoiler are going to be the bees knees... me want.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:33 AM   #20
ubersoph

Drives: 2013 BRZ
No need for Michelin Super sports, Dunlop Star Specs or Hankook RS3s are the way to go for waaaay less. Of course my perspective is that of a track rat...

Tire Rack has some lightweight wheels available.

You want a proper suspension, get some KW Variant 3s or Racecomp coilovers.

Can't argue with the rest
ubersoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:50 AM   #21
Mitch
form follows function

Drives: RIP '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubersoph View Post
No need for Michelin Super sports, Dunlop Star Specs or Hankook RS3s are the way to go for waaaay less. Of course my perspective is that of a track rat...

Tire Rack has some lightweight wheels available.

You want a proper suspension, get some KW Variant 3s or Racecomp coilovers.

Can't argue with the rest
Star specs are the best all-around tire I've had the pleasure of driving on. Sticky enough to be competitive on track, but I don't feel like I'm going to die when it rains.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:11 PM   #22
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtechnik View Post
Changed dealers, since Ramsey Subaru was charging over MSRP, at MSRP with NO dealer fee, can't be happier than that! In addition to that this dealer ended up being closer to our wedding we are attending at the end of the month, only 15 mins away vs. 1hr.

I am persuing a wheel/tire & suspension purchase. Has anyone fitted XXR's in a staggered fitment yet?

Wait, first you say you want light wheels then ask about XXR's?? XXR's are heavy as $#!t. The stock wheels are 20lbs so even if you stay 17" you should be able to see some improvement with the right set of wheels. Enkei RPF1 and OZ Alleggerita weigh 15lbs in 17". Enkei PF01 and Fujin weigh 17lbs, as do OZ Ultraleggera.

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:08 PM   #23
Mtechnik

I recently installed a set of Yoko AD08's on our M Coupe. That is the stickiest street rubber I have experienced, although great in the dry, they are not the best in the wet. That's where a tire like the PSS or even DW excells. The others aren't bad, although DW's are the current sweet deal for a max performance street tire.

I didn't realize the XXR's are heavy, as there is very limited information available for those wheels, they do look somewhat bulky though. Yes, RPF1's or OZ's are on the list for a set of track wheels. To clarify, it looks like I am going to have two sets of wheels, one for street & another with Hoosier A6's for TT events. That being said, for a street wheel, weight isn't as important, although I want to try and stay within the factory weight or less. Rota GRID or Fighter might be an opotion for a street wheel. As I really like the look of the concave design, and would like to do a staggered setup although I am concerned on how it will effect handling dynamics.

Tags
mods track prep sti