follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Great Lakes

Great Lakes IL, IN, MI, MN, OH, WI

User Tag List

Old 10-07-2015, 03:09 PM   #4061
jdnguyen

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10 and 2010 Camry
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-t_240 View Post
Plus.. I hear Tom and Her have an Ice Cream Bet with Jason and Co-Driver.

Yes. Evo's vs. FRZ and evo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jdnguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 03:47 PM   #4062
clbembry

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Where is the best place near Minneapolis for a newbie driver to really learn to drive his/her car? Asking for a friend of course...
clbembry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 03:53 PM   #4063
TMF

Drives: '14 FRS TT5
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clbembry View Post
Where is the best place near Minneapolis for a newbie driver to really learn to drive his/her car? Asking for a friend of course...
http://www.myautoevents.com/pls/mae/...15642&psmode=3
Old 10-07-2015, 03:57 PM   #4064
TMF

Quote:
Or any of the other various HPDE events at DCTC.

I'd highly recommend going to some sort of instructional event. You can't get nearly to the limits of the car on the street and if you lose control, bad things will probably happen. Even if your plan is not to get into racing, attending some sort of instructional event will teach you a tremendous amount about car control and will help you to learn how to react in emergency situations on the street
Old 10-07-2015, 04:23 PM   #4065
clbembry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMF View Post
Or any of the other various HPDE events at DCTC.

I'd highly recommend going to some sort of instructional event. You can't get nearly to the limits of the car on the street and if you lose control, bad things will probably happen. Even if your plan is not to get into racing, attending some sort of instructional event will teach you a tremendous amount about car control and will help you to learn how to react in emergency situations on the street
Thanks for the link. Doesn't look like there are any more this year nearby, guess I'll have to wait till the spring to become a pro
Old 10-07-2015, 04:35 PM   #4066
TMF

Quote:
Thanks for the link. Doesn't look like there are any more this year nearby, guess I'll have to wait till the spring to become a pro
That event on this Saturday is at Dakota County Technical College (DCTC), which is only about 30 minutes south of Minneapolis...doesn't get much closer than that. There will also be a test and tune (with instructors) at DCTC on 10/25 - let me know if you want more info.

Otherwise for good driving roads in/around Minneapolis, check out the circular road system in this area (take the Bren road exit off of 169 and head west, there are signs for 4 different circles): https://goo.gl/maps/Hq92PsHdvD62

Rumor has it, it was supposed to be a race track, but funding fell through and now it is a business park. Take caution, it is very busy during the work week and police do frequently patrol the area. But if you want a few good turns to get familiar with the car at a safe speed, it's a neat area
KevinK121 (10-08-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 04:40 PM   #4067
clbembry

Quote:
That event on this Saturday is at Dakota County Technical College (DCTC), which is only about 30 minutes south of Minneapolis...doesn't get much closer than that. There will also be a test and tune (with instructors) at DCTC on 10/25 - let me know if you want more info.
I was referring to HPDE events specifically. Is this event on Saturday going to be beginner friendly? I might be interested in attending if the peddle pub I planned on going to falls through or is later on in the day.

I took a quick look at the map and those roads look fun! I'll have to drive on down there sometime when it's calmer.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:48 PM   #4068
TMF

Quote:
I was referring to HPDE events specifically. Is this event on Saturday going to be beginner friendly? I might be interested in attending if the peddle pub I planned on going to falls through or is later on in the day.
Oh right, I hear ya. This Saturday I believe there will be open lapping in the morning before the timed runs later in the day. That is a good time to get some seat time, but I'm not sure that they will have instructors available. So this Saturday might not be the best for a beginner.

For a first-timer, the event on 10/25 might be a better bet. There will be instructors available (I'll be there working the event and I'm glad to provide some insight. No, I'm not Sebastian Vettel, but I've been doing this for a while and can at least help a beginner!) and you will have plenty of seat time at that event. More info here: https://www.facebook.com/events/1007123039306338/
Old 10-07-2015, 04:51 PM   #4069
TMF

Sorry, one more I forgot to mention is the autox this Sunday. This event will be a little bit cheaper, but there will definitely be a host of good instructors available. These are also very well organized and well run events. The only downside is you will probably only get about 6 runs for the day, but it is still a fun event. There is a special theme for the last autox event of the year, so don't be alarmed if you see some goof balls. LOL
https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...4#.VhWF1PlVhBc

And now I'll stop dominating this thread
Old 10-07-2015, 04:59 PM   #4070
clbembry

Quote:
Sorry, one more I forgot to mention is the autox this Sunday. This event will be a little bit cheaper, but there will definitely be a host of good instructors available. These are also very well organized and well run events. The only downside is you will probably only get about 6 runs for the day, but it is still a fun event. There is a special theme for the last autox event of the year, so don't be alarmed if you see some goof balls. LOL
https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...4#.VhWF1PlVhBc

And now I'll stop dominating this thread
Awesome thank you so much! I'm going to go through all end of the earth to make it to that event on the 25th.
The Following User Says Thank You to clbembry For This Useful Post:
KevinK121 (10-08-2015)
Old 10-08-2015, 08:07 AM   #4071
KevinK121
Miata traitor

Drives: 2002 Miata SE
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Didn't know about the test and tune. What's the reg for that one?

Ahh nvm the NF one. I wonder if they'd accept a half day admission. I don't need to beat up my car for 12 hours lolol.
KevinK121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:41 AM   #4072
TMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinK121 View Post

Ahh nvm the NF one. I wonder if they'd accept a half day admission. I don't need to beat up my car for 12 hours lolol.
Well this Saturday, the event goes from 7am to 5pm, so that is almost 12 hours too lol. I don't think they are doing half day registrations, but still, $140 for a track day at DCTC isn't bad, and there will be a variety of instructors available too.

And that's the last event of the that I know of (except rallyx, ice racing), and then the FRS will be going into hibernation soon after
Old 10-08-2015, 09:22 AM   #4073
ka-t_240

Drives: BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinK121 View Post

Yes, you do!
ka-t_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:56 AM   #4074
KevinK121
Miata traitor

Drives: 2002 Miata SE
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Well this Saturday, the event goes from 7am to 5pm, so that is almost 12 hours too lol. I don't think they are doing half day registrations, but still, $140 for a track day at DCTC isn't bad, and there will be a variety of instructors available too.

And that's the last event of the that I know of (except rallyx, ice racing), and then the FRS will be going into hibernation soon after
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-t_240 View Post
Yes, you do!
faaaaaaaaaack if you guys go, my tires are still drivable and I can afford it I'll go.
KevinK121 is offline   Reply With Quote