follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 07-05-2016, 12:28 PM   #15
Beastronix

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hopefully the traction system data I have so far will help answer some questions...

The track mode does replace sport mode with elevated thresholds that are actually tuned this time around instead of a slapped on "ooooo sport mode" feature.

Think of it like the new Focus RS if you've driven one. The system is tailored to make the driving fun and simplify it. The RS is so easy to sling around in it's various modes due to the tuning of the traction systems that it's more of a help me control. The system is providing fun easily, rather than taking it away like we are used to.

The OFF function remains unchanged. The OFF will be less attractive due to the lack of fun assist in the track mode, but it's still a higher threshold than the sport/track modes.

There won't be factory access to a full off mode without user intervention. Safety regulations are the reason why. Manufacturers have to meet specific regulations and traction systems are a big one now required in the US for any vehicle under 10,000 lbs. They've been proven to save lives on public roads which is why any use of pedal dance should be saved for competition & HPDE environments only.
Beastronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 12:32 PM   #16
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
Interesting read. I would have thought the increased power would be more noticeable.

It seems like a nice revision, but nothing worth trading a current 86 for.
I can imagine that they'll attract a few new buyers and some others that are leasing their cars and don't want to go into another car or brand. Personally I still remain a fan of the platform, but I would never trade the older with the newer version.

At least it is now clear that they'll never go into a higher engine displacement or a small turbo. If they don't manage to find a smart hybrid technology for the 2nd generation, then it'll just have the fate of the s2000. So, we'll be happy owners of a car with its own history and its life-cycle within the automotive industry.

Last edited by nikitopo; 07-05-2016 at 12:44 PM.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
krayzie (07-05-2016)
Old 07-05-2016, 02:14 PM   #17
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
I don't think they 'll make it backward compatible.

I didn't mean necessarily Subaru. With the new model to tune though, perhaps backwards capability could be unlocked by ecutek or something. I mean, it would be cool. lol.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (07-05-2016)
Old 07-08-2016, 11:50 PM   #18
nico_rsx

Drives: BRZ 2017 Pure Red, MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastronix View Post
The OFF function remains unchanged. The OFF will be less attractive due to the lack of fun assist in the track mode, but it's still a higher threshold than the sport/track modes.
From what i've read (I think in the subaru leaked document), is that the OFF mode is changed. The electronic brake force distribution is removed (was still there for the 2013-2016). An Off mode will always be attractive to people doing autocross and lapping/racing. I'd even say essential. I've seen report of people saying in high speed circuit, in off mode (not pedal dance), the nannies were doing some scary things.
nico_rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nico_rsx For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (07-09-2016)