follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 05-20-2022, 12:30 PM   #1
Kulebrero1

Drives: Gr86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Harness mounting points

Hello,

I’m shopping around for seats and harnesses for my GR86.

I’ve seen a couple of options for a harness bar. I’ll be removing the back seats entirely and want to make sure I have as much space as possible to carry track tires and my track stuff (tools, jack, helmet, canopies, cooler, chairs, etc.) as well as necessary travel/camping stuff for track day trips out of town.

What are the safest but least intrusive bars/harness mounting options out there?
Kulebrero1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 01:23 PM   #2
M0nk3y

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS / Chevy Colorado
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
None.

It's not a great answer, but I would never trust a Harness Bar. Many sanctioning bodies are not allowing solely harness bars to be used because they are simply not safe.
Kyle H. - #89 STX
M0nk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M0nk3y For This Useful Post:
RedReplicant (05-20-2022), villainous_frx (05-20-2022)
Old 05-20-2022, 01:32 PM   #3
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,253 Times in 7,346 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post
None.

It's not a great answer, but I would never trust a Harness Bar. Many sanctioning bodies are not allowing solely harness bars to be used because they are simply not safe.
I've seen no actual evidence they are not safe. Granted I wouldn't run one.
Old 05-20-2022, 01:39 PM   #4
RedReplicant

Drives: None
Thanked 1,195 Times in 509 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
I've seen no actual evidence they are not safe. Granted I wouldn't run one.
They are meant to be used with a harness in a fixed back seat, if the roof comes in while you're strapped in an immovable position you're going to get shortened by a couple of inches. A roll bar is meant to keep the roofline above your head.

No sane organization is going to allow a harness + fixed back seat in a car without at least a roll bar.
Old 05-20-2022, 01:47 PM   #5
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedReplicant View Post
They are meant to be used with a harness in a fixed back seat, if the roof comes in while you're strapped in an immovable position you're going to get shortened by a couple of inches. A roll bar is meant to keep the roofline above your head.

No sane organization is going to allow a harness + fixed back seat in a car without at least a roll bar.
A lot of them do, SCCA being one. Believe me, I am not a fan of it, but I have never actually seen evidence that running one is bad. Reports of an accident, ect. Enough people do it, and as long as the internet has been around I figured I could find something, at least a second, third, or 4th hand account, but nothing. I hunted for a long time when deciding what to do, I chose a 4pt weld in. A lot of info has been perpetuated, but no actual evidence. It is like all those that say OE seats are designed to fold back in an accident, 100% myth.
CrowsFeast (05-20-2022)
Old 05-20-2022, 01:50 PM   #6
NoHaveMSG

Garage
You really shouldn't be running a fixed back seat with a harness without a HANS either, but I can probably count on 1 hand how many people have them when I am at a track day. HOD is the only one that mandates a HANS with a harness in my area.
CrowsFeast (05-20-2022), Ohio Enthusiast (05-20-2022)
Old 05-20-2022, 01:54 PM   #7
Kelse92
At the track

Drives: '14 FRS - Former e92 M3
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Safety debate aside, the least intrusive harness bar I've seen is the Brey Krause one, which can be ordered from OG Racing.
Jdmjunkie (05-20-2022)
Old 05-20-2022, 02:07 PM   #8
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I'm no expert, but I came across the same debate in the past. One piece of supposed evidence was the Mustang rollover in Hallett Circuit. Reading the description it had a bolt in cage (not clear if it's only a half cage or a full one. The two photos showing the car in profile don't show an A pillar bar, but it might be hidden) and looks like it had racing seats (presumably fixed).
The cage "legs" broke through the bottom of the car, the roof completely flattened and yet both driver and passenger were not injured.
Not sure which side of this argument this crash actually supports more, but I'll leave it here as food for thought.
Ohio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ohio Enthusiast For This Useful Post:
CrowsFeast (05-20-2022)
Old 05-20-2022, 02:08 PM   #9
CrowsFeast

Drives: 2013 BRZ Sport-Tech
Quote:
A lot of them do, SCCA being one. Believe me, I am not a fan of it, but I have never actually seen evidence that running one is bad. Reports of an accident, ect. Enough people do it, and as long as the internet has been around I figured I could find something, at least a second, third, or 4th hand account, but nothing. I hunted for a long time when deciding what to do, I chose a 4pt weld in. A lot of info has been perpetuated, but no actual evidence. It is like all those that say OE seats are designed to fold back in an accident, 100% myth.
I haven't seen any evidence of it actually occuring either, which you would expect to find at least something.
OP: if you go the roll bar route make sure to do your research about attachment points. I've seen pictures before where the bottom plate was too small and just punched through the floor in a rollover.
CrowsFeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 02:11 PM   #10
CrowsFeast

Drives: 2013 BRZ Sport-Tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Enthusiast View Post
I'm no expert, but I came across the same debate in the past. One piece of supposed evidence was the Mustang rollover in Hallett Circuit. Reading the description it had a bolt in cage (not clear if it's only a half cage or a full one. The two photos showing the car in profile don't show an A pillar bar, but it might be hidden) and looks like it had racing seats (presumably fixed).
The cage "legs" broke through the bottom of the car, the roof completely flattened and yet both driver and passenger were not injured.
Not sure which side of this argument this crash actually supports more, but I'll leave it here as food for thought.
That's the one I was thinking of. As I recall it was a 4 point rollover hoop.

The argument that it supports is doing proper research. Sounds like a lot of bolt in bars for a lot of applications look good but provide little to no actual safety benefit.
CrowsFeast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CrowsFeast For This Useful Post:
Ohio Enthusiast (05-20-2022)
Old 05-20-2022, 02:17 PM   #11
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowsFeast View Post
That's the one I was thinking of. As I recall it was a 4 point rollover hoop.

The argument that it supports is doing proper research. Sounds like a lot of bolt in bars for a lot of applications look good but provide little to no actual safety benefit.
Yup, seen that one before. That can happen in a weld in bar too if you don't have a base plate that distributes enough load over a wide enough area.
CrowsFeast (05-25-2022), Jdmjunkie (05-20-2022)
Old 05-20-2022, 02:42 PM   #12
Kulebrero1

Man o man. Good stuff.

I have a roll bar in my Miata…thought I wouldn’t need one in a car with a hard top. The more you know. I guess it’s time to look for roll bar/cage and for a shop to have welded in.

Any recommendations?
Old 05-20-2022, 02:45 PM   #13
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowsFeast View Post
For sure, but that doesn't help with the actual question of whether a roll bar is really required with a harness and a fixed back seat (or it actually implies that it doesn't matter as the driver and passenger suffered no serious injury).

I think the main problem is that the racing aftermarket isn't big enough for serious research into safety and most of it is done by a mix of instinct, limited testing (probably FEA and some small scale destructive testing) and real world experience of crashes. On top of that, I'm sure motorsport related accidents are a drop in the sea vs. street accidents, so it's hard to gather solid statistics about the effectiveness of various safety equipment (vs. what is available to the NHTSA and IIHS, for example).

My personal take is mostly a black and white approach - for my light duty HPDE I won't go above a helmet (and planning on a Hybrid S 3 point compatible HANS). Then it goes to racing seat + harness + half cage + HANS + no street driving and towing to the track with no middle ground (which I probably will never do). But each person has a different set of risk/reward calculations.
Ohio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ohio Enthusiast For This Useful Post:
CrowsFeast (05-25-2022)
Old 05-20-2022, 02:46 PM   #14
Kulebrero1

Quote:
You really shouldn't be running a fixed back seat with a harness without a HANS either, but I can probably count on 1 hand how many people have them when I am at a track day. HOD is the only one that mandates a HANS with a harness in my area.
Interesting. I see a lot of people with hans and simpson’s hybrid hans at my track days. I have a simpson’s hybrid…would not dare wear a harness without it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kulebrero1 For This Useful Post:
Ohio Enthusiast (05-20-2022)