follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-11-2022, 06:24 PM   #1
IsaiahW

Drives: 2013 Subaru brz limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hydraulic release bearing

Please bear with me since this may be a stupid question to some. I just received my Mazworx cd009 kit which I’ve opted into going with the Tilton hydraulic release bearing. I don’t see any vids or forums on this topic so wanted some input on it. Could it work with the factory master cylinder or finesse is required. Mazworx didn’t put out instructions on that option so I figured it was “plug n play”. Also, I notice companies aren’t having those options when using a stock transmission why is that. I know a company tried it a while back but discontinued it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IsaiahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 07:09 PM   #2
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaiahW View Post
Please bear with me since this may be a stupid question to some. I just received my Mazworx cd009 kit which I’ve opted into going with the Tilton hydraulic release bearing. I don’t see any vids or forums on this topic so wanted some input on it. Could it work with the factory master cylinder or finesse is required. Mazworx didn’t put out instructions on that option so I figured it was “plug n play”. Also, I notice companies aren’t having those options when using a stock transmission why is that. I know a company tried it a while back but discontinued it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There was one guy making them and I think they were discontinued due to lack of interest. Can you link me this Tilton release? I'd like to check it out.

To answer your question .... I dunno. It's gonna depend on how much fluid it takes to release the clutch. For LS applications, the MC must be upgraded. I believe @spitsnaugle has a few of his master cylinder kits still available if you were interested

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashikabi For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (05-11-2022)
Old 05-11-2022, 11:21 PM   #3
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
Can you link me this Tilton release? I'd like to check it out.
the cd009 kit is a complete 350z replacement transmission with a favq adapter bell housing to connect to the fa20.

https://www.mazworx.com/mazworx-favq...t-frs/brz.aspx

this is the hydraulic release bearing kit by itself:
https://www.mazworx.com/mazworx-favq...aring-kit.aspx

it's designed specifically for the favq bell housing.

i would reach out to them to try to determine if a different master cylinder is needed.

if you've got the part number for the tilton release bearing component, could also ask tilton:
https://tiltonracing.com/product-cat...ease-bearings/
Old 05-11-2022, 11:35 PM   #4
Ashikabi

500$ isn't terrible for those. Wonder what the wholesale price is. Maybe I should put together an FA20 kit. Iirc that other kit was like 800$. I can see why that would be a hard sale

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashikabi For This Useful Post:
Jdmjunkie (05-12-2022), soundman98 (05-11-2022)
Old 05-11-2022, 11:59 PM   #5
soundman98

Quote:
500$ isn't terrible for those. Wonder what the wholesale price is. Maybe I should put together an FA20 kit. Iirc that other kit was like 800$. I can see why that would be a hard sale

yeah it was a little steep, i also didn't like how everything was all custom-made, so any failure threatened to be terminal to the entire assembly.

the verus fork, pivot ball, and bearing are $240, so about double the cost for a solution with replacement parts availability that removes all the pivot problems?

i'd definitely be game for $500
Old 05-12-2022, 07:13 AM   #6
Ashikabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
yeah it was a little steep, i also didn't like how everything was all custom-made, so any failure threatened to be terminal to the entire assembly.

the verus fork, pivot ball, and bearing are $240, so about double the cost for a solution with replacement parts availability that removes all the pivot problems?

i'd definitely be game for $500
What about 600$? I wouldn't know without checking but it's unlikely the Tilton units could be had cheap enough to put together an FA20 kit for the same price Tilton retails a unit at

Old 05-12-2022, 11:18 PM   #7
soundman98

Quote:
What about 600$? I wouldn't know without checking but it's unlikely the Tilton units could be had cheap enough to put together an FA20 kit for the same price Tilton retails a unit at

i admit a little hesitation, though i do feel a lot more confident being that they appear to be a much more established company, and parts, if ever needed will be more available. i'm seeing that they appear to have been in business since '72.

though i've got no interest in changing master cylinders, so it would need to be able to utilize it, which may kill the whole idea...
Old 05-12-2022, 11:33 PM   #8
Ashikabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
i admit a little hesitation, though i do feel a lot more confident being that they appear to be a much more established company, and parts, if ever needed will be more available. i'm seeing that they appear to have been in business since '72.

though i've got no interest in changing master cylinders, so it would need to be able to utilize it, which may kill the whole idea...
Tilton is a very respectable company. Essentially one of 2 major suppliers of master cylinders (Tilton and Wilwood). Maybe I'll look into it some day. I've got way too much shit on my plate as it is to try to develop a throw out kit

The Following User Says Thank You to Ashikabi For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (05-13-2022)