follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 04-22-2022, 11:01 AM   #1
Maafeu

Drives: 2020+ Toyota FRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
FRS to BRZ - engine won't crank.

Hey guys,

I decided to take on a fairly large challenge in removing all my harnesses from my base model 2013 FR-S auto transmission and install that of the BRZ limited edition (2013 automatic transmission). And I'm now having an issue with the engine starting. The BRZ donor car suffered a water lodged engine, however that engine harness wasn't used and neither was the engine.

I've done a bit of research with looking at the behaviours the car recognizing my "new" keyfob when entering the car, and it does recognize its presence.

Before I drive into this deeper I'll give you a quick rundown as to what I've done. All harnesses in the car were replaced, all except for the engine harness as that was the same one used for both models. The fusebox harness, both flooring harnesses the trunk harness, both door harnesses and door handles and roof harness were all replaced from the same donor car. The dash harness was from a later model BRZ, however all connections line up. I've also brought over the steering pillar that contains the box for the key fob. I've also brought over the ID CODE BOX from the donor car On top of that I've added all the key sensors (4 of them) from the donor car, I've brought all the computers from the donor car and installed them, I will need to roll back to mine on a few to have my vin number recognized but I'll take care of that later. All the wires have been connected to the new equipment with no ends unconnected.

The outcome is that I've been able to unlock and lock the car with the "new" keyfob, I've been able to put the car into accessory mode from the push button and have the windows go down and up, the trunk opens with the button push and the center console all lights up. Even the instrument panel lights up and the goes through the checks. The green key icon shows up when trying to start the car just that the engine doesnt crank

Two things I've noticed happen, when I enter the car with the fob and close the door, the signal indicators double flash, and there a long beep that follows from the car that eventually goes away (pretty sure that's not normal). The next thing is when I press the start button, the instrument cluster lights up and one icon that doesn't go away is the Power Steering light, not sure If that's just the steering position that eventually will go away after it's recalibrated when I'm driving again.

In reviewing the wire assembly the only piece that was on the FRS that's no longer connected is the fuel pump relay that is located in the passengers side front bumper area, however nowhere on the harness that is meant to be connected again, and there is a new added box in the glove box area that I believe replaces that function.

So this leads me to believe that the issue is either a security resync issue, or a blown fuse. I'm going to set up my techstream tonight and see if the car spits out any codes, but if anybody could shed some light on this in the meantime that would be amazing.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Maafeu; 04-22-2022 at 04:39 PM.
Maafeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 06:16 PM   #2
BlkTrax

Drives: Car
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The steering lock on the column is also coded to the body control , and smart key ecm. If they all dont handshake with matching VIN, it locks out.

• *: When the electrical key transmitter SUB-ASSY is in the vehicle interior, the ID code sent as a result of the communication between the electrical key transmitter SUB-ASSY and the collation ECM (smart key ECM ASSY) and the ID code calculated by the collation ECM (smart key ECM ASSY) are compared. If these ID codes match, the vehicle recognizes that the electrical key transmitter SUB-ASSY is in the vehicle interior.
(a) List of indicator conditions
Indicator
Vehicle status
Off
Any condition is met:
1. The engine is turning.
2. With the engine switch off, the vehicle is in a state where even if the engine switch is pressed, the engine won't start.
Lit up green
All the following conditions are met, the vehicle is in a state where if the engine switch is pressed, the engine will start.
The electrical key transmitter SUB-ASSY is in the vehicle interior, the stop light switch ASSY *1 or the clutch start switch ASSY *2 is on, and the shift lever is in P *1.
Blinking green
(Blinking slowly)
With the engine switch in on (ACC) or on (IG), the vehicle is in a state where even if the engine switch is pressed, the engine won't start.
Blinking green
(Blinking quickly)
If the power is on, or the engine is started, the steering wheel is unlocked (steering lock is stuck).
When the steering wheel is unlocked, the indicator begins blinking.
When 30 seconds have passed since the blinking began, if the power is on, or if the engine was started again, the indicator stops blinking.
Blinking yellow
A defect is found in the steering lock ECM.
If it is determined that there is a defect in the steering lock ECM or in the collation ECM (smart key ECM ASSY), the indicator begins blinking.
If the ECM returns to its normal status, or if 15 seconds have passed since the blinking started, the indicator stops blinking.
*1: With automatic transmission
*2: for manual transmission

Last edited by BlkTrax; 04-22-2022 at 07:57 PM.
BlkTrax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BlkTrax For This Useful Post:
Opie (08-30-2022)
Old 04-22-2022, 10:16 PM   #3
Maafeu

Hey,

Thanks for the information. I can confirmed that all three pieces are from the same car. I was able to even get the original keys that came with it.

I'm just setting up my Techstream as the CEL was showing up as well. So hopefully I get information I can work with.

UPDATE: Well sure enough, I checked with Techstream and I'm getting a B1572 Error Code - Immobilizer Issue. Going through the checks, it seems as it needs to be programmed. Funny enough going back to my original harnesses I received the same issue. It'll need to be programmed either way.

Last edited by Maafeu; 04-24-2022 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-26-2022, 10:49 AM   #4
Maafeu

So the latest info is that I got the car up and running again back on the old harness. I have plans to flip over to the "new" Dash harness and fuse box harness, I just need to go through the immobilization process.

I made an error in snipping 3 wires that played a part in the immobilization process on the old harness. Once I repaired those lines, it was starting up fine. I'll have to revisit the process as the Air-conditioning unit needs to be replaced.
Old 08-20-2022, 11:53 PM   #5
Maafeu

Hey guys,

So I tried the brz flip over challenge again and sure enough I got the same issue with a b1572 immobilization issue. Digging a bit deeper into the issue. It seems as for Canadian cars that I need the steering control module. That is a piece that's included in the security circle.

I'm trying to see if I can get the one that was in the donor car, if not I'll have to grab one off eBay and try to sync it. Anyone know if this can be done with techstream?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-21-2022, 07:53 AM   #6
AussieBRZ

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maafeu View Post
Hey guys,

So I tried the brz flip over challenge again and sure enough I got the same issue with a b1572 immobilization issue. Digging a bit deeper into the issue. It seems as for Canadian cars that I need the steering control module. That is a piece that's included in the security circle.

I'm trying to see if I can get the one that was in the donor car, if not I'll have to grab one off eBay and try to sync it. Anyone know if this can be done with techstream?

Thanks in advance.

AFAIK the steering ecu is not part of the security set

try this resync with techstream

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...6&postcount=23

and also the engine ecu resync here

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...7&postcount=24
AussieBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 08:22 AM   #7
Opie

Drives: '13 BRZ TLM Spec
Thanked 2,310 Times in 996 Posts
Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Garage
Are you using the FRS gauge cluster or the one from the BRZ?

You'll need the BRZ one, also in the security circle.
Old 08-30-2022, 02:47 PM   #8
Maafeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie View Post
Are you using the FRS gauge cluster or the one from the BRZ?

You'll need the BRZ one, also in the security circle.

Hey Opie, I was thinking that, but that doesn't apply to the canadian cars. In my first BRZ attempt, I had the cluster and that still didnt work.

I'm not sure if it's a bad fuse in the front fuse box as there are unlabeled fuses there. However I tried two different fusebox harnesses as well as 2 different dash harnesses and they're both the same outcome.

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is that the Passengers door handle isnt properly installed, it's just facing outside where it's supposed to be installed and I'm thinking of the angle that it's not making the engine start properly. I'm going to triple check my wiring for the ID Code box, the SMT ECU and the ECM, but other than that, I'm running out of ideas.
Old 08-30-2022, 02:48 PM   #9
Maafeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieBRZ View Post
AFAIK the steering ecu is not part of the security set

try this resync with techstream

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...6&postcount=23

and also the engine ecu resync here

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...7&postcount=24
Hey,

Thanks for the info, I'll give that a shot.

I find it weird I have to resync seeing as all the parts are from the same car.
Old 08-31-2022, 01:59 PM   #10
Maafeu

UPDATE:

Alright so I'm yet again rolling back to the FR-S as I wasn't able to resolve the immo issue. I was able to track down another complete set of harnesses and computers from another BRZ and I'm getting the same outcome.

Once thing I accidentally noticed was that My car battery had died. When attempting to start the car, I went into the car with the Keyfob and there was a short been as opposed to the long beep I usually get. Second,when i tried to start the car, being the battery was dead the gauge cluster was dimming in and out, BUT I heard clicking noises at the fuel injector module located in the engine bay attached to the engine, which made me believe that it passed the security...Good sign? Well...once I placed a good battery in, it basically went back to the issues I was having before with the long beep and the immo issue.

So this makes me believe that the devices didnt have enough power to preform it's test, was bypassed, and went in an attempt to start..if that makes any sense.

So if this is a immo issue, one of the devices I have are either not working correctly or the whole set isnt working at all, but it's working well enough to recognize the key fobs to unlock and lock the door...so I'm thinking it might be the ID code box / steering lock...

just a hunch...