follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 01-11-2018, 06:04 PM   #43
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinz View Post
For the FRS, you are comparing two different-diameter wheel/tire combos. You are changing not just the weight, but the length of the "lever".
The length of the "lever" is almost the same (rim+tire). The distribution of the weight is changing mainly. I am just trying to show you that in reality (not in a lab or by using a thought experiment) different unexpected results are happening.

Racecomp Engineering gave you another example on the same dyno. Not different dynos with different calibrations and let's not start the silly discussion about noise. A good dyno on a 200hp car can be reliable up to 1/2 hp.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 06:51 PM   #44
Twinz

Drives: 2016 FR-S MT, 2015 Scion FR-S AT,
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
The length of the "lever" is almost the same (rim+tire). The distribution of the weight is changing mainly. I am just trying to show you that in reality (not in a lab or by using a thought experiment) different unexpected results are happening.

Racecomp Engineering gave you another example on the same dyno. Not different dynos with different calibrations and let's not start the silly discussion about noise. A good dyno on a 200hp car can be reliable up to 1/2 hp.
The difference in gearing is more significant than the difference in weight. When the crank puts out effort to turn the wheel the 2700lb car is where the VAST MAJORITY of the work is coming from.

There are other factors at play too. The fact that the car gets identical 0-60 times is telling too. If I were to ignore the gearing and friction difference between the two tire sizes and compounds, I could point to the time as proof that there is no difference between the two, but there are differences. One has a gearing advantage and the other has a friction advantage.

As for dyno accuracy, my 350Z was on 4 different dynos and no two runs (not even back-to-back runs on the same dynos) were ever within 1/2hp of each other.

If I were to put your car on jack stands, blindfold you and ask you to turn two different weight wheels by hand, you might be able to tell me if one wheel weighed 5lbs more than the other. This is the simplified way most people visualize this question, and it holds true.

However if I do the same thing but put the car on the ground, you would have no idea if one wheel was heavier than the other. The effort required to move the freaking 2700lb car now dwarfs the effort required to move the wheel itself.

A lighter lever is better, yes. And where the weight is located on the lever also matters too, but when the lever is just 0.01% of the weight you are moving, making the lever 0.014% is not that big of a change in the work load.

I think the gyro effect of a spinning wheel and it's resistance to lateral changes (like when you turn the car) are far more noticeable from behind the wheel.

*edit* just checked the article for the track test and they cover the gearing issue vs top speed as well.
Twinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:06 PM   #45
reeves

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammillionaire View Post
Hey guys, I'm going to be in the market for some new wheels in the somewhat near future and I'm wondering how much wheel weight really affects performance. I've been looking between 17's and 18's and I honestly much prefer how the 18's look. I won't be tracking the car at all, but do enjoy some spirited driving through the country side. Some of the sets I've been looking at that are aesthetically pleasing are around 26lbs. Will I be gaining THAT much from going with a set of RPF-1's or something similar instead?
The difference is negligible in feel and performance, and since you're not tracking the car, just get a good quality rim that looks good to you. Don't skimp on the tires either, they could affect performance more than the rims.
reeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:26 PM   #46
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Go lighter if you can. A friend has 16s for winters and they are much lighter than his 18s for summer and the difference is very noticeable.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:36 PM   #47
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinz View Post
This test has two samples with the same outer diameter and the results of those two pulls fall within the "noise" of dyno pulls. My 350Z spent a good amount of time on different dynos and no two back-to-back runs ever matched....even when nothing was changed on the car between pulls.
315/35/20 and 275/40/20 are both 28.7 inches in diameter, so all 3 wheel/tire combos were the same in that regard. I agree that dyno precision is a concern for a test like this, but there is a pretty consistent trend on the back to back to back runs. I do wish they did the test on a car with less power.

But anyway...reducing rotational mass has more of an effect on acceleration than total vehicle mass and that has been both measured and calculated numerous times by a variety of sources. There are some crap experiments out there, but here's a decent one:
http://www.focusst.org/forum/attachm...wheel-test.pdf

The performance differences in that test are much higher than I'd expect honestly, though not unreasonable.

The physics behind reducing rotational mass and unsprung weight also make sense.

Whether a couple of lbs is noticeable to everyone on the way to the grocery store is a different question. My winter wheel/tire set-up is about 5 lbs lighter per corner with a very slight increase in diameter. It is noticeable for me. Everyone's butt dyno is a little different. Overall diameter (gearing), tire compound, wheel strength, and driver skill may have more of a difference when looking at laptimes/feel/driverconfidence.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
Lynxis (01-12-2018), nikitopo (01-12-2018), Subsonic (01-11-2018), Trueweltall (01-12-2018), Twinz (01-12-2018), why? (01-14-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 10:26 AM   #48
Lynxis

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
315/35/20 and 275/40/20 are both 28.7 inches in diameter, so all 3 wheel/tire combos were the same in that regard. I agree that dyno precision is a concern for a test like this, but there is a pretty consistent trend on the back to back to back runs. I do wish they did the test on a car with less power.

But anyway...reducing rotational mass has more of an effect on acceleration than total vehicle mass and that has been both measured and calculated numerous times by a variety of sources. There are some crap experiments out there, but here's a decent one:
http://www.focusst.org/forum/attachm...wheel-test.pdf

The performance differences in that test are much higher than I'd expect honestly, though not unreasonable.

The physics behind reducing rotational mass and unsprung weight also make sense.

Whether a couple of lbs is noticeable to everyone on the way to the grocery store is a different question. My winter wheel/tire set-up is about 5 lbs lighter per corner with a very slight increase in diameter. It is noticeable for me. Everyone's butt dyno is a little different. Overall diameter (gearing), tire compound, wheel strength, and driver skill may have more of a difference when looking at laptimes/feel/driverconfidence.

- Andrew
Rolling resistance of the tires are also a factor, it's how low rolling resistance tires help the car achieve better fuel economy after all. In the end, there is no doubting that lighter wheels affect acceleration. I recall there was a guy racing an 86 on 16 inch wheels when the rest of the field was on 17 inch wheels and other drivers simply couldn't keep up with him on the power centric courses. I recall the rules were changed to define allowable wheel sizes in his series when it was apparent there was an unfair advantage.
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lynxis For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (01-12-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 11:36 AM   #49
Twinz

Drives: 2016 FR-S MT, 2015 Scion FR-S AT,
The few tests I saw from Tire Rack and Grass Roots Motorsports resulted in differences that were unlikley to be felt unless the driver was some sort of car-whisper freak of nature. I can't find the actual tests on line now (they were a while back) but when I search, I find discussions of the test where people discussed the results.
http://classicmotorsports.com/forum/...e/39037/page1/

Maybe the differences in weight were too small and or the speeds too slow. IDK.

The Ford test is by far the biggest difference I have seen in any test....the kind of results that should easily be felt by an average driver.

When I switch from my stock wheels to my 14.8lb Enkei's, I notice a slight difference in the steering but acceleration is a wash. (By the butt-dyno at least) It's 215's vs 225's so the gearing is different too.

I view wheel weight (and weight in general) as a due-diligence thing. I don't want to have wheels that are heavier than they need to be, but I'm not spending $3k on wheels made from unobtainium either.

This was in street class. Now that I'm in a spec class, the lightest allowable wheels are still cheap.
Twinz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Twinz For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (01-12-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 12:28 PM   #50
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,433 Times in 6,148 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
My very rough estimate for an otherwise stock manual FRS/BRZ was that a 6lb loss in wheel weight per corner was equivalent to a total gain of 2.5hp in a second gear pull. Also, a 1lb loss in tire weight is equivalent to gaining 1.5hp in second gear. These are smaller as you go up in gear, and larger in 1st. Additionally, the faster you accelerate (if you have more power to begin with for example), the more difference it makes

Im sure there is a tool online you can use to get a rough estimate as well.

Im working (slowly) on putting together a better spreadsheet tool to mathematically answer the question of how does rotating part X affect acceleration. Why? Because its interesting. Of course accuracy will depend on accuracy of inputs and some assumptions I made regarding geometry (different wheels have different weight distributions). But I'll see if I can get it done in the next few weeks and post it for you.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
gtengr (01-14-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 01:43 PM   #51
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Remember that not only acceleration is affected, but also braking. And suspension work/thus grip, how well/fully engine power is transferred to road. Suspension has easier work to swing lighter wheel to follow road defects.
While resulting lap time gain is slight, it's there. Now multiply it by several rounds. If there is any competitiveness in one, then few secs gained by session is not exactly no-difference at all.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
why? (01-14-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 03:45 PM   #52
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Drives: All the time
Thanked 1,067 Times in 674 Posts
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I went from OEM wheel/tire to 12.5lb wheel and tire weight is still within 1 pound of factory, depending on brand. It's not like it's a different car or anything, but at the same time you'd have to be pretty numb to not notice the improvement EVERYWHERE. I plan on further reducing unsprung weight with the Wilwood 4 pot Dynapro front kit when the time comes for me to replace the factory front rotors. It's less an issue of how much weight is removed, and more about where it's removed.
why? (01-14-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 10:29 PM   #53
Skeneypoo

Drives: 2013 Satin White Pearl BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
+10 lbs on the wheels affects performance more than you eating 20 half pound burgers.
Skeneypoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:34 AM   #54
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by venturaII View Post
I went from OEM wheel/tire to 12.5lb wheel and tire weight is still within 1 pound of factory, depending on brand. It's not like it's a different car or anything, but at the same time you'd have to be pretty numb to not notice the improvement EVERYWHERE. I plan on further reducing unsprung weight with the Wilwood 4 pot Dynapro front kit when the time comes for me to replace the factory front rotors. It's less an issue of how much weight is removed, and more about where it's removed.
Wheel and tire sizes?
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:09 AM   #55
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Remember that not only acceleration is affected, but also braking.
More braking torque will be required to decelerate a wheel/tire with more rotational mass at the same rate, but more braking torque is available simply by mashing the pedal harder. So braking shouldn't be affected, at least on a relatively smooth surface.

Car and Driver tested a golf with 15, 16, 17, 18, and 19" wheels/tires a few years back. Acceleration is affected, braking not so much:
https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...d-tires-tested

Note: 18" and 19" are not directly comparable for grip as they had a lower treadwear-rating higher speed-rated tires (despite being same make/model) vs. the 15 16 17. 15/16/17 results below:

tire sizes: 195/65-15, 205/55-16, 225/45-17
wheel/tire weight: 40, 46, 48 lb.
0-60: 7.6, 7.7, 7.8 sec.
0-100: 22.3, 22.6, 22.7 sec.
1/4-mile: 15.9@88, 16.0@87, 16.0@87mph
60-0: 130 ft, 133 ft, 128 ft
skidpad: 0.83, 0.85, 0.85 g
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (01-13-2018), Spuds (01-14-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 12:40 PM   #56
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
ZDan: yes, to get same torque one can just push pedal a bit more. But i was speaking that just like car needs less power to accelerate, car brakes will heat up less due less energy to bleed off for same speed drop.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
why? (01-14-2018)