follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 10-27-2023, 03:01 PM   #1
jvincent

Drives: 2022 WRB BRZ Sport-Tech
Thanked 1,410 Times in 715 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Hyper-flash recall notice

I haven't seen this posted anywhere else, but I just received a recall notice for the hyper-flash issue that many have experienced.

The recall number is WRM-23.

Not sure is this is Canada specific or global.

The recall states that there are currently no parts available to resolve the issue.
jvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jvincent For This Useful Post:
bcj (10-27-2023)
Old 10-30-2023, 09:18 AM   #2
dragoontwo

Drives: 22 BRZ limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I have posted about it with links to the documents on the NHTSA website in the issues section. It's in a stickied post.
dragoontwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 09:30 AM   #3
Desertnate
Spelling Impaired

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited WR Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm waiting on my letter since I've got an Oct '22 build date.

Is that number assigned by Subaru? Wasn't sure if the Canadian vs US recall numbers might be different if they are derived by the government agency directing the recall or from the company who builds the car.
Desertnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 02:42 PM   #4
dragoontwo

The US recall number is the same.
The Following User Says Thank You to dragoontwo For This Useful Post:
Desertnate (10-31-2023)
Old 10-30-2023, 09:27 PM   #5
22 BRZ

Drives: 2022 Subaru BRZ 6MT IR
I just had a random thought that "Hyper-Flash" would be a sweet name for some sort of crazy fluorescent paint colour (sort of like that one that they do on the Corvette and Camaro recently, that highlighter yellow-green). Imagine a special edition BRZ with that as a custom colour with matching interior accents...and that colour name as a bit of a self-deprecating in-joke... Thanks for listening to my stream-of-consciousness, stay tuned for more tangential nonsense...

I've only ever had the hyper-flash when its like deathly cold out (-20s or -30s) and even then it disappears as the car warms up. Is that typical to everyone's experience? I sort of forget its even an issue except for a few weeks in January/February.
Desertnate (10-31-2023)
Old 10-30-2023, 10:19 PM   #6
jvincent

Drives: 2022 WRB BRZ Sport-Tech
Thanked 1,410 Times in 715 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoontwo View Post
I have posted about it with links to the documents on the NHTSA website in the issues section. It's in a stickied post.
Cool, I'm not on the forums much these days.

I'm an EE by degree, and the description of the issue is a typical description of a circuit which has a meta-stability issue.

I guess I'll get to leave my care with the dealer for a day when they eventually have the parts for the repair.
jvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 09:33 AM   #7
Desertnate
Spelling Impaired

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22 BRZ View Post
I've only ever had the hyper-flash when its like deathly cold out (-20s or -30s) and even then it disappears as the car warms up. Is that typical to everyone's experience? I sort of forget its even an issue except for a few weeks in January/February.
When I first bought the car I could the blinkers to hyperflash very easily regardless of temperature and even in the dark; which seems to go against the rational for the recall. However, the longer I've owned the car the less it has done it, and I can't even remember the last time it's happened. Been months since it has happened.

When I was getting the hyperflash, it seemed like I could control it based on how I applied the blinker lever. If I did a really fast jab-like flick, it would hyperflash, but when I slowed down the movement of the level, it would blink normally.

Either way, the dealer swirled up the piano black tops of the lights before I bought the car and I'm looking forward to some fresh new ones.
Old 01-16-2024, 09:02 AM   #8
Desertnate
Spelling Impaired

Has anyone received the second letter from Subaru officially notifying them parts are available and to schedule a service appointment to get the problem fixed?

The first notification letter showed up in early November and stated a follow up notice was expected to be sent in December when parts became available. I still haven't seen a follow up letter, but received an e-mail from my purchasing/servicing dealership stating my car had an outstanding safety recall that must be fixed right away. I found this interesting because I've normally seen the official notification show up from the automaker first and was then contacted by a dealership. Not the other way around.

Something I find interesting too was after the initial recall notice released in December, a VIN lookup at Subaru didn't show any pending recalls, but it did at the NTHSA site. Once the e-mail dropped yesterday, I get reminders in the MySubaru app and it shows up on the Subaru recall site now too. Apparently, they don't care to list it until there are parts available to fix the problem.
Old 01-16-2024, 09:07 AM   #9
dragoontwo

Yes. I got mine the other day.
Old 01-18-2024, 04:50 PM   #10
Flarpswitch

Drives: 2022 BRZ Ltd, 2019 Ascent
I went to the local dealer and they ordered all the parts including fasteners. Each dealership has no idea who will come to them to do the work, so it’s up to the owner to get the ball rolling.
Old 01-18-2024, 05:01 PM   #11
Desertnate
Spelling Impaired

Just another data point: I got my letter last night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flarpswitch View Post
I went to the local dealer and they ordered all the parts including fasteners. Each dealership has no idea who will come to them to do the work, so it’s up to the owner to get the ball rolling.
I have to do that with almost every service visit. My car is the only BRZ they see (I think they've only sold a couple other than mine), so I have to do a lot of hand holding to make sure things are done right.
Old 01-19-2024, 12:27 PM   #12
otter

Drives: 22 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Mildly annoying that this is going to take two dealer visits but similar boat - my dealer never sees BRZs so they don't keep anything on hand. Thankfully I never have to go there outside of recall or warranty work. Took my car there today for the recall "inspection" and the new tail lights will be here in a week. Bit of a waste of my time but oh well.
otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 03:17 PM   #13
foshjowler

Drives: 2022 BRZ; 2014 BRZ
Got mine scheduled for 2/6. They could have done sooner, but my schedule didn't line up, so will have to wait a few weeks. Will be nice to have the hyper-flash fixed.

Autox Videos
foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 10:41 AM   #14
H380

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited WR Blue MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Got my second letter and called the dealer Friday. They wanted to do an inspection before they ordered the replacement parts. I said no way it is a 150 mile round trip. Told the guy to read the recall notice. The tail lights will be replaced no inspection needed. He agreed. Got a call Monday parts were in. Made an appointment for 8am Tuesday. Drove off at 8:20.

The turn signals are different. For the 3 blink to activate I need to move the stick a lot more than before. Also they do flash slower. No big deal.
H380 is offline   Reply With Quote