follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 06-29-2012, 04:06 PM   #43
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
And a strategy that pro Rota types use is to mis-represent the OEM nature of Rota wheels.

Toyota only uses PAWI wheels in the Philipines. This had to do with their re-entry to that market and was likely a regulatory requirement. Toyota has a single plant in Canada (CAPTIN) that produces three times the wheels of Rota's entire production capacity.
I wasn't aware of that when I made that statement in some other thread, I didn't bring it up in this thread for that reason.

However, it is still true that they produce OEM Toyota wheels, if in an extremely limited and forced fashion just like it's true many of the "Rota suck" pics are extremely misleading.

Some Rotas do in fact just crack/break. So do some OEM wheels (I've experienced that one myself, an Enkei OEM honda wheel). So do some Works. So do some Desmond. So do some Volks.

How in the hell did this thread become about Rota's anyways?

I have always found it interesting that everyone hates Rota yet doesn't hate the multiple other brands that do the same thing (and often are much worse at it). I never understood it which is probably why I defend them more than I actually care to. And before design theft is brought back up, the big boys do it too so it's somewhat a pointless arguement as well.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:10 PM   #44
yoshiharadesign
Banned

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
With any wheel company, Im sure none want to see wheels crack. However, under right conditions, any wheel whether forged or cast can fail. I still remember (im really old btw) when the first te37 came out back in the late 90s, a friend had them on his eclipse for a week and was already harping on why his forged wheels were bent... Failure on wheels can happen to anyone and any brand. Its not saying one brand is better than another or one is superior to another. My suggestion is to clearly figure out what your intended use is and find a design that meets your requirements, and still having an open mind that at any given time, under the perfect storm/right conditions, the wheel can potentially fail... It will happen on aftermarket wheels and will also happen on O.E. Remember potholes and road conditions dont discriminate
yoshiharadesign is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yoshiharadesign For This Useful Post:
Derik210 (05-30-2013), HotLeopardMama (04-08-2013), poormans_LFA (06-29-2012)
Old 06-29-2012, 05:05 PM   #45
RavSpec

Drives: Rx7
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Getting too serious here .... just to chill out the room

RavSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:13 PM   #46
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
I wasn't aware of that when I made that statement in some other thread, I didn't bring it up in this thread for that reason.

However, it is still true that they produce OEM Toyota wheels, if in an extremely limited and forced fashion just like it's true many of the "Rota suck" pics are extremely misleading.

Some Rotas do in fact just crack/break. So do some OEM wheels (I've experienced that one myself, an Enkei OEM honda wheel). So do some Works. So do some Desmond. So do some Volks.

How in the hell did this thread become about Rota's anyways?

I have always found it interesting that everyone hates Rota yet doesn't hate the multiple other brands that do the same thing (and often are much worse at it). I never understood it which is probably why I defend them more than I actually care to. And before design theft is brought back up, the big boys do it too so it's somewhat a pointless arguement as well.
Rota's name will always pop up when cheap wheels are compared to expensive. And Rota supporters don't just try to correct the misreprenstations. They reinforce their own like implying that they are a major supplier of Toyota wheels, which is a massive out of context exageration.

It also seems to be the purpose of certain members to try to flame the living shit out of anyone mentioning Rotas in a negative, even if accurate light. I think Rota has learned from their destroyed rep of 2002 that the internet can work both ways. Go back to the Rota thread and maybe sort out who causrs the Rota threads to spiral out of control.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:21 PM   #47
poormans_LFA
FT86Club.com O.G.

Drives: Gunmetal Gundam Wing Zero Custom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
any wheels that attract the opposite sex do just fine for me....sexy wheels + sexy car to throw em' on = FTW. i'm sure more than a few brands make a wheel that will qualify.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #48
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
It also seems to be the purpose of certain members to try to flame the living shit out of anyone mentioning Rotas in a negative, even if accurate light. I think Rota has learned from their destroyed rep of 2002 that the internet can work both ways. Go back to the Rota thread and maybe sort out who causrs the Rota threads to spiral out of control.
I don't believe I try to do that. I'll defend Rota when I believe people are attacking them on bias and not on recent evidence or just pushing expensive brands "just because".. I had to delete posts today in this thread that caused issues but I'll leave the dead thread.. dead
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:34 PM   #49
TwinscrollGT35R

Drives: 2006 Subaru
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Cool

Quote:

My bad. Im the one that took a shot at rota. Well at a Rota. And well it was all døne for science. I sware.
TwinscrollGT35R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:25 PM   #50
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
I don't believe I try to do that. I'll defend Rota when I believe people are attacking them on bias and not on recent evidence or just pushing expensive brands "just because".. I had to delete posts today in this thread that caused issues but I'll leave the dead thread.. dead
Not you, Dave. Certain blonde cat avatar...

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:55 AM   #51
AbsolutKev86

Drives: Toyota 86 & Ford Expedition EL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey177 View Post
Thank you everyone for their opinions. I did not mean to cause such an uproar. I was just trying to figure out if Drag is acceptable for daily driving. Cause chances are I wont be able to take it on the track in the next decade. And I totally understand the whole deal with big brands and the quality. When I was young I had a Walmart bicycle and bent it pretty bad one day. But after I upgraded to a GT Dyno which cost 3-4 times as much.Rode that thing like crazy and never had an issue again. But I also agree that alot of the money that the consumers spend on big brands goes to marketing (although I do enjoy seeing the girls posing next to the wheels.lol). I mean if all the companies in the world cut half of their marketing budget.I am sure people will still buy their products, and it will end up saving the consumers a whole lot of money. I realize this will never happen, but in a perfect world it could.

and in regards to the weight issue I think they weigh approximately the same. According the the manufacture website http://www.dragwheels.com/product.asp?ID=130 they weigh 22.45pounds per wheel for 18x8 which is similar to what the Work wheels weight.

I love the looks of the Work wheels.But due to my budget and the fact that I still owe Toyota Financial Service 18K or so on the FR-S; I wont be able to afford them. But after serious comparing both of these wheels weigh more than the oem wheels and i wanted to go lighter.So I am saving up for a set of 18x7.5 Enkei PF01 cause they are 17.6 pounds I think.

C what u ve done? It s all your fault!
AbsolutKev86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #52
JDMenrique
DEEEERP

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Garage
I can't rain down hate because my previous car had rota's and i currently have works. Everyone has taste and a budget to keep in mind. I don't, however, appreciate it when some DBag rolls up to a meet in XXR's(or any other replica) and starts yapping about how great he is. This has obviously more to do with the person but it just gets under my skin. That is all.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:11 PM   #53
PRORICAN

My thing with replicas is just that, that they're REPLICAS! If they would just create their own design/look instead of biting off every reputable wheel maker then I believe they'll gain respect. You don't see top wheel makers copying each others design. Just saying...

Also Rota owning Enkei? I need proof!
PRORICAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:37 PM   #54
JDMenrique
DEEEERP

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S 6MT
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRORICAN View Post
My thing with replicas is just that, that they're REPLICAS! If they would just create their own design/look instead of biting off every reputable wheel maker then I believe they'll gain respect. You don't see top wheel makers copying each others design. Just saying...

Also Rota owning Enkei? I need proof!

lol... Sam's getting ROTAS!!
Old 04-06-2013, 01:03 PM   #55
nonicname
Banned

Drives: it has 4 wheels and a motor
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
love knock offs! I get the looks I want for a fair price.
Some of the fancy companies just charge for their fancy name and I have NO interest in paying for that.

people who go to the track with knock-offs are idiots too!
if u wanna play u gotta pay, so if you are serious buy the serious stuff.
nonicname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:03 PM   #56
PRORICAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMenrique View Post
lol... Sam's getting ROTAS!!
PRORICAN is offline   Reply With Quote