follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 01-20-2014, 12:34 PM   #1
JHarperFRS

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S "White Out"
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
OFT vs. Ecutek

What are the pros and cons of using these two tuning softwares? I've done a search and could not find a specific thread. I am on the fence between the two software programs. I understand, with Openflash, you can flash as many times as you want and there is no limit. Which software has more maps and which one seems to making more NA power on 93 octane? My car has an Injen itake, Perrin overpipe, Invidia catless front pipe, and Invidia SS catback...I am waiting on the FT86 SPEED FACTORY catted UEL header to come out.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited by JHarperFRS; 01-20-2014 at 12:54 PM.
JHarperFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:01 PM   #2
Malt

Drives: 2015 WRX
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHarperFRS View Post
What are the pros and cons of using these two tuning softwares? I've done a search and could not find a specific thread. I am on the fence between the two software programs. I understand, with Openflash, you can flash as many times as you want and there is no limit. Which software has more maps and which one seems to making more power on 93 octane?

Not sure how you missed the literally dozens of threads on OFT and ecutek if you did a search. It's been discussed Ad Nauseam here but essentially they are both comparable to one another if you don't plan to run a FI kit and ignore the cost of either product. If you just want to run an off the self map OFT is a tad cheaper while also giving you the ability to data log. You can data log with ecutek as well if you buy the cable and have access to a laptop.

If you want a custom tune, find a local tuner that you trust and use what he/she recommends OR you can get etuning with either product.
Malt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:11 PM   #3
1stGenBRZ86

Drives: 2013 BRZ
TBH, this is a good idea, because they are very similar, but I'm sure there are key differences, such as Ecutek supporting custom maps such as Flex-Fuel and Speed Density tuning, which would be pretty important to DIY people who want to piece together a kit and have it tuned locally on a dyno. I'm not sure that OFT supports custom mapping.
1stGenBRZ86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:15 PM   #4
FrsDuke
Fanboy

Drives: 2013 ultramarine frs
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Not yet. Maybe not ever. It's hard to tell. They keep adding features pretty rapidly.

-Duke
FrsDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:27 PM   #5
Shiv@Openflash

Drives: 2013 FRS
Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,494 Posts
Mentioned: 605 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Currently, the OFT does not offer fuel fuel sensor integration or speed density tuning. However, I yet to tune an application where speed density is needed or even desirable. Perhaps it is best left to high boost turbos. Flexfuel sensor compatibility is something that we will eventually work on but it's not a high priority at this time. Right now, we are more focused on adding more diagnostic enhanced functionality to take advantage of the OFT's handheld convenience.

What the OFT does offer is a complete package in terms of functionality. You do not need a laptop to flash your ECU, to read/clear codes, to datalog or to look at datalog graphics. You can keep the OFT plugged into your OBD2 port when you are driving an have access to engine data and digital bar gauges.

The other distinct advantage OFT offers is the ability to be removed and resold, with new-unit functionality, at little or no loss to the original buyer.

We've sold over 800 BRZ/FRS OFTs since launching it a few months back. Part of this has to do with the additional discounts (OFT Dollars) you get on other products when purchasing an OFT.

Cheers,
shiv
Shiv@Openflash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Shiv@Openflash For This Useful Post:
1086 (01-20-2014), eurominican (01-25-2014), horrorbiz (01-23-2014), jc1993 (03-23-2014), Malt (01-20-2014)
Old 01-20-2014, 01:29 PM   #6
Shiv@Openflash

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stGenBRZ86 View Post
TBH, this is a good idea, because they are very similar, but I'm sure there are key differences, such as Ecutek supporting custom maps such as Flex-Fuel and Speed Density tuning, which would be pretty important to DIY people who want to piece together a kit and have it tuned locally on a dyno. I'm not sure that OFT supports custom mapping.
OFT does indeed support custom mapping and our own in-house dyno/e-tuning tuning service
Old 01-20-2014, 01:45 PM   #7
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
If you're having someone else tune your car, talk to them about what software they're most comfortable using.

If you're tuning it yourself, have a look at the software yourself and see what you like.

One benefit to OFT is that there are free off the shelf maps for various setups to get you started, EcuTek doesn't include any maps unless you buy them from a tuner.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:49 PM   #8
jamesm
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Ecutek is infinitely more powerful than the open source solutions (which I'll include openflash in, being that it uses open source software to handle the actual tuning). Whether or not you need that extra power depends on a few things, primarily how much air you plan to move and how much you're into tuning and tweaking things.

For the average user that won't tune themselves and is comfortable with an OTS map, OpenFlash is a great option. For the powerusers, or anyone who wants a custom e-tune, Ecutek is a no-brainer. It has a wide variety of tuners and robust logging capabilities that are necessary to develop a decent etune (if there is a such thing lol).

FWIW i've used every option available for this platform to tune a turbo car, so i'm pretty familiar with the advantages/drawbacks. it took about a day and a half with ecutek to solve problems i spent months hacking around without custom maps. if you'd like more detail on certain areas, pm me.
jamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jamesm For This Useful Post:
Fast_Freddy (01-23-2014), idanvan (01-24-2014)
Old 01-20-2014, 01:53 PM   #9
Malt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
If you're having someone else tune your car, talk to them about what software they're most comfortable using.

If you're tuning it yourself, have a look at the software yourself and see what you like.

One benefit to OFT is that there are free off the shelf maps for various setups to get you started, EcuTek doesn't include any maps unless you buy them from a tuner.
In fairness the newest update from ecutek allows flashing of off the shelf maps but you will need to buy the cable to do so yourself.

If all you need is off the shelf maps then OFT is the cheaper of the two options with the added benefit of data logging through the device without the need of a laptop.

EDIT: not sure why the last poster said that ecutek is a no brainer for custom etunes since that option is also available to OFT users. The only thing that shiv doesn't current do is etunes for forced induction (which will change in the future since he's got at least two FI tunes coming out soon) There is nothing keeping a tuner from using open source tuning and flashing the map with the OFT.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:55 PM   #10
Shiv@Openflash

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesm View Post
Ecutek is infinitely more powerful than the open source solutions (which I'll include openflash in, being that it uses open source software to handle the actual tuning). Whether or not you need that extra power depends on a few things, primarily how much air you plan to move and how much you're into tuning and tweaking things.

For the average user that won't tune themselves and is comfortable with an OTS map, OpenFlash is a great option. For the powerusers, or anyone who wants a custom e-tune, Ecutek is a no-brainer. It has a wide variety of tuners and robust logging capabilities that are necessary to develop a decent etune (if there is a such thing lol).

FWIW i've used every option available for this platform to tune a turbo car, so i'm pretty familiar with the advantages/drawbacks. it took about a day and a half with ecutek to solve problems i spent months hacking around without custom maps. if you'd like more detail on certain areas, pm me.
To be fair James, some of the custom maps you are using now already existed in open source tuning software. Also, to even a power hungry FA20 owner who wants, say 300whp (almost twice stock), do you really believe that one tuning option will make more power or be more drivable than the other? Assuming competent tuning for both of course.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shiv@Openflash For This Useful Post:
86-tundra (01-23-2014), Strife26 (12-05-2017)
Old 01-20-2014, 02:07 PM   #11
jamesm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
To be fair James, some of the custom maps you are using now already existed in open source tuning software. Also, to even a power hungry FA20 owner who wants, say 300whp (almost twice stock), do you really believe that one tuning option will make more power or be more drivable than the other? Assuming competent tuning for both of course.
sure, at that level it can be done with anything, but it's a hell of a lot easier to do directly with custom maps. i'm not arguing that you can't make a excellent driving 300whp 86 with opensource tools (i've done it myself several times), just that it's a hell of a lot easier when you can alter params and set up routines directly with custom maps rather than hacking around the problems associated and trying to work within the parameters of stock routines.

not to mention that anyone with 300whp (presumably boosted) is going to want things like overboost protection, gear-based boost, etc which just can't be done properly without custom maps.

i only speak of what i've found in my own experience using all of the available solutions extensively. i hold no bias whatsoever, and think all of the solutions are great. we're drunk with options lol. it's just that i personally have found custom maps to be invaluable. i'm a huge supporter of (and contributor to) opensource but ecutek has a killer app with custom maps, at least for a small subset of the market.

without custom maps it's a wash, but they're just so damn nice to have that i couldn't go back to not having them.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:08 PM   #12
JHarperFRS

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S "White Out"
Thanks, everyone....I wasn't trying to start a forum argument war, but to merely seek information between the two software programs. I went with OFT. Mainly because of the price and plug and play( no need for a laptop). I'll fun the off the shelf tunes, for a while. If I need a custom tune, I'll give their E-tuning a try.

JHarperFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JHarperFRS For This Useful Post:
86-tundra (01-23-2014), jamesm (01-20-2014), Shiv@Openflash (01-20-2014)
Old 01-20-2014, 02:38 PM   #13
jamesm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHarperFRS View Post
Thanks, everyone....I wasn't trying to start a forum argument war, but to merely seek information between the two software programs. I went with OFT. Mainly because of the price and plug and play( no need for a laptop). I'll fun the off the shelf tunes, for a while. If I need a custom tune, I'll give their E-tuning a try.

Good call, definitely sounds like the right solution for you.

I'd never argue OpenFlash isn't right for 90% of the market, just that Ecutek is way more right for the other 10%. no war here, just happy we have options to argue about
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jamesm For This Useful Post:
FrsDuke (01-20-2014), Malt (01-20-2014), ShadowReaper (09-24-2016)
Old 01-20-2014, 02:40 PM   #14
Malt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesm View Post
Good call, definitely sounds like the right solution for you.

I'd never argue OpenFlash isn't right for 90% of the market, just that Ecutek is way more right for the other 10%. no war here, just happy we have options to argue about
Give it a year and I'll bet another pretty penny that OFT will suit the needs of that other 10% as well.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Malt For This Useful Post:
Cross (01-22-2014), Marusich (01-22-2014), Strife26 (12-05-2017)

Tags
#fanboysthread, oftsupportgroup, unichip ftw