follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-13-2017, 08:35 PM   #435
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
As long as it's not throwing a code is there anything to be concerned about? I have years\tens of thousands of miles of extended warranty so I'm not worried about pressing the issue with the dealership. I mean, as long as the car's running great, I don't have anything to complain about anyway.
I don't think so. Like I said I put 1.5 years on the car, well over 10k miles without issue. Car feels better with the coilpacks and spark plugs replaced, but I wouldn't sweat it either. Should only reappear if you really push the car closer to it's limits.

strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
3essess (03-01-2018), JoeC (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 09:10 PM   #436
JoeC

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
I had a code pop up on y 4th track day, went 1.5 years without seeing it until I did my 5th track day and the code returned.
The real question is how did you survive going a year and a half between track days? I'd be having major withdrawls.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeC For This Useful Post:
Icecreamtruk (09-14-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 09:54 PM   #437
strat61caster
-

Quote:
The real question is how did you survive going a year and a half between track days? I'd be having major withdrawls.
Got hooked on autox, I'm right at 2 years since the last track day I've been to. I'll probably hit the track once a year or two, hoping to go sometime next year.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Icecreamtruk (09-14-2017), JoeC (09-13-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 09:47 AM   #438
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
As long as it's not throwing a code is there anything to be concerned about? I have years\tens of thousands of miles of extended warranty so I'm not worried about pressing the issue with the dealership. I mean, as long as the car's running great, I don't have anything to complain about anyway.
There is nothing to be concerned. I do full track days with the CEL on because it happens at the beginning of the day and I dont have one on me. I must have close to 7-8 track days with the CEL on, if I havent had an issue, I doubt you will see anything street driving with it off. Even on track, I wouldnt worry about it, you do loose a handful of ponies.

Quote:
Do you have the P/N on hand?
I have tried 2 of these 22433AA652 and one of each of these two SU003-04670 SU003-04713. Its all the same. I also bought a newer one, to check the connecter myself (mainly curiosity, expensive curiosity :P ), and yes the connecter is totally different, a lot more robust (wider, thicker, longer, and bigger lock pin).

Just to satisfy my own curiosity again, I went to the track yesterday night, which was a hot night here(70+) and started lapping with a full tank on a coilpack that has already shown the code. As I expected, the code showed up halfway thru the very first lap of the very first session. So the fullpump thing the dealer said was total BS, completely unrelated problem (if you can call the crickets a problem).
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Icecreamtruk For This Useful Post:
Bonburner (09-26-2017), JoeC (09-14-2017), strat61caster (10-04-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 12:56 PM   #439
hachi roku [86]

Drives: Toyota GT86, Mazda MX-5 NB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just a +1 post. 2014 FR-S, stock engine, 15+ track days on the car.

Getting P0351 repeatedly on track, and lately on street. It used to happen only occasionally, but now almost guaranteed to get it every session. Which is really annoying because the pedal dance is reset and the traction comes on every time CEL is thrown, so it's pretty much dull for the rest of the session.

Going to order a coil pack from Toyota - they are closer and faster where I live. Does anyone know which of these p/n is preferred?
Quote:
Toyota P/N
SU003-00417
SU003-04670
SU003-04713
I also read in this thread some experienced a related(?) issue with injector seals. Does it make sense to check the seals? I do hear somewhat different engine noise and feel some (small) loss of power when the CEL is on. What's the latest wisdom on that?
hachi roku [86] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 04:31 PM   #440
strat61caster
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hachi roku [86] View Post
I also read in this thread some experienced a related(?) issue with injector seals. Does it make sense to check the seals? I do hear somewhat different engine noise and feel some (small) loss of power when the CEL is on. What's the latest wisdom on that?
Just my amateur 2 cents;

If you have the option get the part with the largest number, it seems that's the 'newest' version per Toyota and Subaru's part numbering scheme. But per above that didn't help @Icecreamtruk so it may not do you any good, take what they have for now.

To my knowledge the direct injector seal issues are unrelated, that was a tune problem. You can't 'check the seals' on the direct injectors, if you pull them out you have to replace them along with a few other parts costing a few hundred USD at least, delicate procedure, not easy, not for amateurs unless you're willing to screw something up and suffer the consequences. The common diagnosis is a 'firecracker' sound when revving the engine, easy to notice at idle when it's truly fucked.

Best summary is this video of replacing DI seals:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdeO4rBwuQ4

I certainly wouldn't attempt the repair unless I was certain of an issue.

When the CEL is on, the engine is likely altering it's parameters (pulling timing, fueling change, throttle position, something) as a 'safe mode' not really a limp mode, but yes I notice a loss of power as well when the code pops, it usually returns to normal before the next corner on track. I haven't noticed a sound change before but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen and makes sense with a loss in power the sound changes as well.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:45 PM   #441
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
When the CEL is on, the engine is likely altering it's parameters (pulling timing, fueling change, throttle position, something) as a 'safe mode' not really a limp mode, but yes I notice a loss of power as well when the code pops, it usually returns to normal before the next corner on track. I haven't noticed a sound change before but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen and makes sense with a loss in power the sound changes as well.
I also noticed that the session the code pops, the car feels a bit slower, and my times drop by about 0.5s per minute (so around 1s in a 2min lap). But the next session (so after pitting, turning the car off, and turning on going out) the power seems to be close to normal, or at least close enough that my times are within 1-2 tenths and that could very well be driver error most of the time). You are correct with highest number = newer part, and newer part still is showing the same problem, so whatever, it will keep on coming.

The more you use an already damaged coilpack the easier the code comes on. When it first pops, it will usually take a few sessions in track to come back another day, and never on the street. As you use it more and more, it will pop more frequently, with it being as easy as the moment you leave pit lane on your very first session of the day. I've never had it pop on the streets, I never redline my car on the streets (I drive like a granny when not on track).
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Icecreamtruk For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (10-04-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 11:25 PM   #442
Jamestl

Drives: None
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Was at gingerman last weekend and had a code pop up for cylinder 2. I got the car about four months ago and it was my fifth track day. Car has oil cooler, OFT and a ceramic coated headers. I read that this may be an issue so I bought a spare for track days. Ended up changing it during lunch and it was fine after. But man what a pain if this becomes a regular thing.

Is there a TSB for the FRS as well or it was just BRZs?
Jamestl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 07:31 AM   #443
hachi roku [86]

Quote:
If you have the option get the part with the largest number, it seems that's the 'newest' version per Toyota and Subaru's part numbering scheme
Thanks

Quote:
To my knowledge the direct injector seal issues are unrelated, that was a tune problem. You can't 'check the seals' on the direct injectors, if you pull them out you have to replace them along with a few other parts costing a few hundred USD at least, delicate procedure, not easy, not for amateurs unless you're willing to screw something up and suffer the consequences. The common diagnosis is a 'firecracker' sound when revving the engine, easy to notice at idle when it's truly fucked.
Alright, it does seem like a bigger challenge. Will try replacing the coil and see what happens next track day
Old 07-30-2018, 08:56 AM   #444
n0thing

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
bump

Is SU00305259 the newest version? Or is it for 17-18 86 only? I was getting P0351 for my 2014 BRZ. Should I get SU00304713, or SU00305259?
@strat61caster

edit: SU00304713 is good for 2014, SU00305259 for 2015+ as the connector has changed

Last edited by n0thing; 07-31-2018 at 09:25 AM.
n0thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:30 AM   #445
strat61caster
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0thing View Post
bump

Is SU00305259 the newest version? Or is it for 17-18 86 only? I was getting P0351 for my 2014 BRZ. Should I get SU003-04713, or SU00305259?
@strat61caster
Looks like it's the newer harness connector, won't fit on a '13 but will fit on a later FRS, can't recall at the moment when the changeover happened unfortunately.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:40 AM   #446
MCTeeJ

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0thing View Post
bump

Is SU00305259 the newest version? Or is it for 17-18 86 only? I was getting P0351 for my 2014 BRZ. Should I get SU003-04713, or SU00305259?
@strat61caster
I have replaced my faulty coil with 22433AA652 and it's been fine since. If you're afraid of it overheating again wrap it in DEI tape.

However, I will say that the coil and injector issues are indeed linked somehow if you keep driving the car hard as is. I created a headache for myself by doing so. Once my coil code (cylinder 1) started coming up at 6500 rpm often the car developed a load related misfire in the mid range. Turned out cylinder 1's direct injector was toast. It wasn't the tune either. I've been flex fuel tuned by one of the best tuners for this platform for almost 2 years now.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:27 AM   #447
hachi roku [86]

I replaced mine and did one track day after that. All works fine, no problem with CEL at all.

I made a short video about replacing it, it is indeed rather straightforward:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM0aJzi81YM[/ame]

Thanks ATL BRZ whose simple instructions I followed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post

Only one 10mm bolt holding it in. I just replaced it myself rather easily in about 20 minutes. Removed the three 10mm bolts holding in the ECU on the black fuel rail cover carefully after stuffing some shop towels below to catch any dropped bolts. Zip tied the box out of the way on the strut brace so it doesn't slide into anything. Then I grabbed the coil and pulled it straight out and then up to get the whole thing out. Pressed the connector down and pulled it off and the new one went back in just as easily. Just need patience and dexterity and it's pretty painless. The drivers side coils wouldn't be as easy, though, since there's more stuff in the way.

I put everything back the way it was and secured all the bolts before starting it again. Then I went for a drive and got everything nice and hot before doing a couple WOT pulls to redline and all is well. No more CEL.
[COLOR=inherit !important]

#s3gt_translate_tooltip_mini { display: none !important; }
[/COLOR]
The Following User Says Thank You to hachi roku [86] For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (07-31-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 10:58 AM   #448
celek
Resident Gear Head

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
I didn't bother to read everything, I just had this pop up at 60k miles on a hot day with some spirited driving.
Reset it and it has not come back.
My assumption and information from a friend is that since Cyl 1 is on the front corner by the Header its getting cooked and over heated.