follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 11-01-2019, 12:05 PM   #1
SamtheKorean
September

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Purchasing OFT or Headers?

Wanting some inputs from all brz/86 owners, I’m planning to purchase either item first. OFT is running $500 and can’t really get it used or i’m thinking purchasing EL Long tube headers from PLM also $500. If you were to purchase one first which would you buy? And anyone know pros for running long tube headers?
to add some more info, i’m running catless front pipe, srs overpipe, stock mid, top speed pro axle back. i love the sound but it’s bit quite, running stock tune and i get pops and crackles on second gear. was hoping that catless header would make my pops louder.
SamtheKorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 12:37 PM   #2
Vital

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamtheKorean View Post
Wanting some inputs from all brz/86 owners, I’m planning to purchase either item first. OFT is running $500 and can’t really get it used or i’m thinking purchasing EL Long tube headers from PLM also $500. If you were to purchase one first which would you buy? And anyone know pros for running long tube headers?
to add some more info, i’m running catless front pipe, srs overpipe, stock mid, top speed pro axle back. i love the sound but it’s bit quite, running stock tune and i get pops and crackles on second gear. was hoping that catless header would make my pops louder.
You should probably just save up and get both at the same time honestly. Having one without the header really doesnt do much.
Vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 12:50 PM   #3
BigTuna

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
OFTs come up used in the classifieds almost daily, usually in the $350 range.

Either way, if you were to install a header, you'd get a CEL for the O2 sensor. So the OFT (in my opinion) should come first.
Old 11-01-2019, 01:01 PM   #4
PulsarBeeerz

Drives: JRSC BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Get both used but don't get the PLM because it will crack.
PulsarBeeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 01:29 PM   #5
chojuan30

Drives: 2015 frs
If you have e85 available, get the OFT and run their e85 tune. That will be the most bang for buck comvo.
chojuan30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 05:39 PM   #6
Tristor

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chojuan30 View Post
If you have e85 available, get the OFT and run their e85 tune. That will be the most bang for buck comvo.

Only do this if you're actually going to test the E85 you get because it's quality varies wildly station to station and sometimes even fuel delivery to fuel delivery. I've seen as low as 40% and as high as 89%. The required fuel map to run it safely is very different for 40% Ethanol vs 89% Ethanol. OFT E85 tune is a single map with an expected average 70%... which may not be correct for your area.

What you instead should do if you want to use E85 is to get a FlexFuel setup, which you /can/ do with OFT, but is better done with EcuTek. Realistically, you should save your dollars and do things correctly for the best experience which means a good header and a good tune on EcuTek.
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:52 PM   #7
g.rz

Drives: '18 Subaru BRZ
I recently had the same predicament, got the headers first and the OFT a few days down the line. I recommend getting the OFT first if you really had to pick, obviously both at the same time is ideal, however if you'd rather hear your exhaust note/sound change and receive little to no performance gains what so ever get your headers first.

Getting headers first from my experience didn't cause any issues, other than getting a CEL after around 30 or so miles until I got my OFT to tune my car. Get the OFT first if you want to see performance gains, although for me the changes didn't feel too huge until I did the Stage 2+ E85 tune.

Going cat less on your headers along with your current setup will definitely make your pops louder, with an OFT you can also adjust timings to get pops throughout all the gears at a certain RPM range by feathering your throttle (from what I've read it's not ideal for your exhaust manifold and the engine in general but I just sent it)

Last edited by g.rz; 11-28-2019 at 11:17 AM.
g.rz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to g.rz For This Useful Post:
SamtheKorean (11-27-2019)