follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-30-2016, 07:11 PM   #113
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daiheadjai View Post
Most useless/regretted mods:
-Knock-off eBay "TRD" seatbelt pads (the damn things never stayed in place to keep the belt comfortable, and always managed to snag something)
One of my favorite mods:

Emdom GT86 Seat Belt Shoulder Pad Set

They look OEM and function perfectly. I actually don't use the loops to keep them in place. Clipping them to the strap on the seat prevents the seat belt from sliding the way it should, but I realized the pads were long enough that they stay in place anyway.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
daiheadjai (05-30-2016), haimichaeltran (06-05-2016)
Old 05-30-2016, 08:00 PM   #114
PureShield

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
They were unlucky being some of the first to mod this platform. I've had no headaches with my kit. It's just I rushed into everything all at once without enjoying the true nature of the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riftur View Post
Why do you hate that you added a supercharger? I am very curious to know if you found any kind of drawback from it. If I didn't have a wife that's exactly what I would add to my car.
The FA20 is an extremely sensitive engine. Some people have added FI to it and it's fine, others have practically blown up as soon as it was installed.
PureShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 02:12 AM   #115
WryGuy

Drives: 2014 FR-S Argento, 2003 Celica GT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
The USDM sliding arm rest is 100 times more functional. It's higher, so I can actually use it as an arm rest. But it also slides out of the way so I can have coffee and use the cupholders. It's one of the best mods I've done. ...
Excellent suggestion. When my frustration level reaches the boil over point, I'll probably swap for the USDM.
(and burn the other on a pyre of styrofoam coffee cups... I mean recycle it like an earth friendly person)

Do you still use the factory cup holders?
- I understand the locking grooves avoid shifting/spilling. But the stock holder is an oversized plastic brick eating 50% of the space right in the middle of the cavity.

Seems like a cup holder could simply be a 1mm thick ring (or cone) located more forward and not consume so much space.

Meanwhile, I've toyed around with a couple of those cheapo holders available at AutoZone looking for a mount point. So I sympathize with the designers on space limitations.
WryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 01:05 PM   #116
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WryGuy View Post
Do you still use the factory cup holders?
- I understand the locking grooves avoid shifting/spilling. But the stock holder is an oversized plastic brick eating 50% of the space right in the middle of the cavity.

Seems like a cup holder could simply be a 1mm thick ring (or cone) located more forward and not consume so much space.
If you shift it forward, you'll block the utterly useless DC outlet. Forget rethinking that cubby. The whole console needs a redesign from the shifter back.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
JazzleSAURUS (05-31-2016), Tcoat (05-31-2016)
Old 05-31-2016, 01:08 PM   #117
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
If you shift it forward, you'll block the utterly useless DC outlet. Forget rethinking that cubby. The whole console needs a redesign from the shifter back.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:48 PM   #118
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
I use that outlet to charge my phone. The cord coils nicely right below it and my phone sits in the phone slot in the cup holder.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 02:19 PM   #119
fumanchu1

Drives: 2013 Brz C38 (bought not built :P)
Thanked 1,249 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02.ACCORD.DUDE View Post
These valenti headlights that were installed on my car when I bought it are kind of pissing me off...

Just realized that the majority of turn signal lights are out on the driver side tail light and that three lights are out on the passenger side tail light... From reading on here I guess this is not an uncommon issue...

With no warranty, stock lights to replace them with or a surefire way to open and fix them I guess it's time to buy some new lights lol...
at least you don't have a Visconti tune... I'm surprised not one person mentioned it as the mod they regret... oh wait, probably because their cars turned into balls of flame and they are no longer on this forum for thwe most part
fumanchu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 02:31 PM   #120
KDad2

Drives: 2013 Raven
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
One of my favorite mods:

Emdom GT86 Seat Belt Shoulder Pad Set

They look OEM and function perfectly. I actually don't use the loops to keep them in place. Clipping them to the strap on the seat prevents the seat belt from sliding the way it should, but I realized the pads were long enough that they stay in place anyway.
I purchased 2 pairs of the set. One for the shoulder and the other for the lap belts. Then when they came out with the blue stitching, I got another 2 pair set for my wife's Infinity. In fact the webbing very works well with a Benchmade Traiage knife. Amongst other things...
KDad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KDad2 For This Useful Post:
extrashaky (05-31-2016)
Old 05-31-2016, 03:26 PM   #121
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riftur View Post
She actually convinced me to spend the extra money to buy the car I really wanted instead of settling for a different car. I really do have a great wife. Here is a picture of both my girls (car and wife) Wife is the one in the middle.
That's awesome.

I was trying really hard to find a way to be happy with a cheapie economy car, (base impreza, civic, something like that,) and after test driving everything around 20k and below my girlfriend realized how I just had zero interest in any of them and told me she'd be pissed if I didn't get what I wanted.

SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazzleSAURUS For This Useful Post:
Riftur (05-31-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 03:34 PM   #122
FR-S Future Owner
Grand Touring Fan

Drives: 98 2.2L Camry, 87 2.0L Camry Wgn
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brayden_23 View Post
I think the catted header made my setup a little quiter than what I was hoping for. I don't hate it, just a minor thing that I kinda regret.

Original thinking was because I didn't want to deal with a CEL, but I threw one immediately anyway. I have since cleared the code with an OBDII reader so it really wasn't as big of an issue as I thought it would be. I also thought I would be saving myself trouble with emissions, but here in Washington you don't have to get emissions testing if your car is newer than 2008...didn't know that originally
Thanks for your reply! Quieter is good for those who don't wish to any "unwanted" attention - a sleeper that provides a "1st-class ticket to rapid transit". If i may ask, which catted header do you have?
FR-S Future Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:37 PM   #123
Brayden_23

Drives: Asphalt 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S Future Owner View Post
Thanks for your reply! Quieter is good for those who don't wish to any "unwanted" attention - a sleeper that provides a "1st-class ticket to rapid transit". If i may ask, which catted header do you have?
I have the JDL catted UEL header. I have it paired up with a Perrin overpipe and Perrin 2.5" resonated catback (frontpipe is stock...for now). This current setup would probably sound good for most people. Has the subie rumble and is very much an exhaust you feel more than you hear. If you are cruising on the freeway or at steady throttle, you barely hear it. But as soon as you are WOT or accelerating aggressively, she gets fairly loud. Not racecar loud, but people around you will most likely turn to see what kind of car it is.

I am about to get a front pipe without a cat. If I were to do it over again, I think catless is the way to go in the header (more gains) and then stock front pipe or at least one that has a cat.
Brayden_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brayden_23 For This Useful Post:
FR-S Future Owner (06-01-2016), G-awesome (06-03-2016)
Old 06-02-2016, 01:28 AM   #124
FX86
Banned

Drives: on the wrongside of the road
Thanked 2,087 Times in 1,015 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
panoramic rear view mirror and blind spots are the best modification i've done that improved my situational awareness in this car

don't really have a mod that i regret
FX86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:18 AM   #125
choiboie

Drives: 2013 Fr-S UltraMarine
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Starting to regret my lowering springs. Now that flex z are affordable im saving for coilovers

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
choiboie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to choiboie For This Useful Post:
haimichaeltran (06-05-2016)
Old 06-03-2016, 03:51 PM   #126
COO86L

Drives: 2015 86 GTS + Mitsi Lancer GSR
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Mods I love:
Sprintex SPS kit
Oil Cooler
Kartboy S/S
Positive Shift thingo
Eibach Springs
Tomei UEL and SME Overpipe
DW 700CC Injectors

Mods I hate/Regret:
Everything else I did to the exhaust. Catback and straight catpipe
Not buying an OFT from the very beginning
Not getting an EcuTek tune from the beginning
Buying Cusco Coilovers to have them bottom out on small bumps in the road

Mods I love on other cars:
Phat wings
Chassis mount wings
wiiiiiings
RB widebody kits
Everything as long as it makes the owner happy.
COO86L is offline   Reply With Quote