follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 12-04-2015, 09:12 AM   #1
mhughett

Drives: 2015 Crystal White BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Liberty Mutual "Right Track"

Owners of the twins that think their cars are slow obviously haven't talked to the people of Liberty Mutual Insurance. I just insured all of my cars with them a couple of months ago. They offer a program called "right track" whereby they have you plug a device into your OBD port and they track your driving habits. I know, it seems like big government watching over you. However, they give a 5% discount for signing up, the final discount (done for each car independently) can range from 5%-30%, and the best part is that regardless of your driving style, your rates will not be increased as a result of the 90-day test period and once you earn your discount, it stays with you as long as you own the car. The program only measures 4 metrics:

1. Time spent driving between 12am and 4am--I guess they have a lot of claims occurring during those hours (I wonder why)
2. Total miles driven--I guess to determine if you are driving within the mileage you claimed when you signed up
3. "Rapid" acceleration events--measured by the rate of acceleration measures over a period of time as short as 1 second.
4. Hard braking events--rate of deceleration measured over a period of time as short as 1 second.

There is a website you can sign onto that tracks your progress. 15 minutes after you shut the car off you can see your history of trips and events that they have identified. The biggest problem I have having with the BRZ is that the threshold for triggering an event of rapid acceleration is only about 7-7.5mph/second. Nearly all of my events are from start in 1st gear. When you are driving a car with a short 1st gear and low torque, you usually start up pretty quickly. Next time you pull away in 1st gear, watch how quickly you get up to 15 mph. If you did it in 2 seconds or less, you just lost some of your potential discount. The only way I've figured to drive this car without triggering an event is to shift into second after just barely getting started. The combination of shift time and less pull in second gear will take long enough to not trip the program.

The "hard braking" event is also frustrating. If you are driving along at normal speeds at or below the speed limit and the light turns yellow but in time for you to stop, you will get a braking event if you stop for it. Seems counter intuitive as the alternative is to go through an intersection when the light is turning red. This is supposed to measure safe driving habits, right?

I can't wait for the 90-day period to be over. I'm doing a lot better on my other car than on the BRZ because of the rapid acceleration issue above. I will probably end up with about an additional 15% discount as a result of signing up, which is not too shabby. I just wanted to warn anyone thinking about trying this that it can be frustrating.
mhughett is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mhughett For This Useful Post:
bdbx18 (12-08-2015)
Old 12-04-2015, 09:16 AM   #2
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I would end up with a 15% surcharge, given my driving habits.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shiumai For This Useful Post:
meWant (12-06-2015), MisterSheep (12-04-2015), Shedd22 (05-18-2016), soulreapersteve (12-06-2015), Tcoat (12-06-2015)
Old 12-04-2015, 09:33 AM   #3
Scenic Driver

Drives: 13 Subaru BRZ, 02 Audi TTQ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
They would cancel my insurance if had one of those.

It sounds like it's going to turn you into a driver that will piss everyone else off if you really let it dictate the way you drive.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:47 AM   #4
mhughett

Drives: 2015 Crystal White BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scenic Driver View Post
They would cancel my insurance if had one of those.

It sounds like it's going to turn you into a driver that will piss everyone else off if you really let it dictate the way you drive.

You're not far off with this statement. More importantly, you can't control how other people drive. If the person in front of you brakes hard for some reason and you are following at a normal and safe distance, you will have to brake hard to keep from hitting them. This happens more than you think.

there are two takeaways that I've concluded on this program.

1. There is no way anyone that drives around traffic can go though the program without events that cut into the discount. They know this and it seems that they want all of the discounts to end up around 12-17%. My wife has over twice as many events as I do and her discount is only about 3 points below mine.
  2. They won't cancel your policy or raise your rate regardless of the outcome. However, I did wait until after my HPDE before beginning the program. I didn't think starting out with about 500 events the first day was a good idea. Besides, I won't be driving the BRZ much when the snow hits.
mhughett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:21 AM   #5
AzureShadow

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT WRB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhughett View Post
The "hard braking" event is also frustrating. If you are driving along at normal speeds at or below the speed limit and the light turns yellow but in time for you to stop, you will get a braking event if you stop for it. Seems counter intuitive as the alternative is to go through an intersection when the light is turning red. This is supposed to measure safe driving habits, right?
I went through Progressive's similar 'Snapshot' program and the hard braking even was insanely touchy. Like you barely touched the brakes and it would set it off. And like you said, stopping for a yellow light was a sure fire way for it to send 1-4 seperate events for some reason. God that thing hated me. Luckily the way progressive does it is they send you the device, and after your first month they give you an 'initial' discount, then after 6 months they give you your 'permenant' one. The first one they send me was defective and wasn't uploading info to them correctly so I got 30% off for my first 6 months. After the 6 months though I only got 3% off because I apparently didn't run enough yellow/red lights for them.
AzureShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:16 AM   #6
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
I personally wish Liberty Mutual would go out of business and straight to hell so I'd never have to see another shitty moron driver who doesn't understand how insurance works using the Statue of Liberty as a backdrop to accuse me of idiotic things I haven't done. "You wrecked your brand new car." No I didn't. Fuck off.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
Shedd22 (05-18-2016)
Old 12-04-2015, 12:38 PM   #7
carma143

Drives: Toyota Highlander; Subaru BRZ (SWP)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
It probably doesn't help that we have relatively stiff suspensions. I bet, for example, my Highlander under normal braking for a yellow light at 200 ft out will more easily spread the forward kinetic energy with the extra 4" or whatever the suspension lets the chassis move forward. Th twin's suspension probably lets our chassis move forward about 1", a huge difference.
carma143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 02:03 PM   #8
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,480 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhughett View Post
I know, it seems like big government watching over you. However, they give a 5% discount for signing up, the final discount (done for each car independently) can range from 5%-30%, and the best part is that regardless of your driving style, your rates will not be increased as a result of the 90-day test period and once you earn your discount, it stays with you as long as you own the car. The program only measures 4 metrics:
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 02:43 PM   #9
acetothermus

Drives: Flying in a Blue Dream
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I will never let my insurance company stick one of these "minders" in any of my cars. They make it seem like a good idea by offering discounts now...but wait a few years and they will figure out a way to make it mandatory and use it as a way to give people tickets and make more money off their customers.
I know that seems a little tin foil hat-ish...but you have to remember...They are in business to make money. Insurance is basically legalized gambling, only you as the payee ALWAYS loose.

If we really want safe "drivers" then self driving cars need to become a thing on public roads. Take the human driver out of the equation and you'll be amazed at how well traffic will flow...
acetothermus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to acetothermus For This Useful Post:
rookie (05-18-2016), soulreapersteve (12-06-2015), Summerwolf (12-11-2015)
Old 12-04-2015, 03:23 PM   #10
strat61caster
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by acetothermus View Post
I will never let my insurance company stick one of these "minders" in any of my cars. They make it seem like a good idea by offering discounts now...but wait a few years and they will figure out a way to make it mandatory and use it as a way to give people tickets and make more money off their customers.
I know that seems a little tin foil hat-ish...but you have to remember...They are in business to make money. Insurance is basically legalized gambling, only you as the payee ALWAYS loose.

If we really want safe "drivers" then self driving cars need to become a thing on public roads. Take the human driver out of the equation and you'll be amazed at how well traffic will flow...
Not tin foil hat, just have to look at all the scams ISP and phone companies pull. Western business practices are terribly short sighted right now, we will be digging ourselves out of this hole for my entire lifetime, I just hope the vast majority recognizes the hole before I have kids.
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
soulreapersteve (12-06-2015)
Old 12-04-2015, 04:50 PM   #11
acetothermus

Drives: Flying in a Blue Dream
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Not tin foil hat, just have to look at all the scams ISP and phone companies pull. Western business practices are terribly short sighted right now, we will be digging ourselves out of this hole for my entire lifetime, I just hope the vast majority recognizes the hole before I have kids.

I wish I could share that hope. I see people so blindly wrapped up in themselves that they can't be bothered to think about anyone else, let alone five minutes into the future. I know every generation says this...but it's a sad time to be alive. The wilful ignorance that the vast majority of people display is truly frightening.

Anyway, I think we are going to get to a point where self driving cars will be the only way we "drive" and that in theory should negate the need for collision insurance.
acetothermus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to acetothermus For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (12-04-2015)
Old 12-04-2015, 06:06 PM   #12
strat61caster
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by acetothermus View Post
Anyway, I think we are going to get to a point where self driving cars will be the only way we "drive" and that in theory should negate the need for collision insurance.
Self driving cars will be off the road the day horse and buggies are kicked off the road, they were obsolete 100 years ago and truly unnecessary 50+ years ago and yet here's a picture from a horse and buggy crashing into a truck from a few months back:

http://thedailynews.cc/2015/03/26/am...uggy-accident/
Old 12-06-2015, 06:36 AM   #13
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Back to the Liberty Mutual people...

Did you name your car "Brad"?
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (12-06-2015)
Old 12-06-2015, 07:47 AM   #14
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
OP, I actually wanted to put one of these devices in AND THEN go to some track days haha

But I'm waiting for the outcome for several tickets that will surely increase my premiums already so I thought I'd do best not starting trouble

I'm all for a self driving car so I can drink and passenger. As long as they don't outlaw people driving.