follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 04-30-2016, 04:44 AM   #1
LostSalad

Drives: Toyota 86 - Charcoal Grey
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Camber bolt + suspension bolt torque settings

So I recently (yesterday) fitted Whiteline KCA416 camber bolts. The package came with instructions: Torque 169Nm do not over-tighten. The factory repair manual states that the torque values for the factory bolts is 155Nm. So I got out my torque wrench and all was well.

The problem is - the alignment shop doesn't care. Air guns blazing. The tech bragged to me about how it's "so tight you can't get it loose with a spanner". And about how "even though you (I) torqued it, it came off super easy" (with a freaking air gun).

So if I take the time to re-loosen at re-torque these to spec, will it throw out the alignment? Is it possible to "check" the torque with a torque wrench or doesn't that make sense?

I'm going to be tracking the car, so I don't want some overtight bolt slowly stressing and snapping. The reason for not just going outside and doing it right now is because I don't want to undo the alignment settings. So with the suspension bolts.... how critical is the torque spec?
LostSalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:51 AM   #2
Freedom

Drives: PEARL WHITE GT86 TRD
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Same thing happened to me, although mine was tightened by hand. If you do one bolt at a time you shouldn't lose your camber settings, especially if you jack the front up so there is no load on the tyres.

I have also questioned whether to redo mine, but considering 169nm is not very tight, you definitely don't want that coming loose on track.

Last edited by Freedom; 05-09-2016 at 07:56 AM.
Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:10 AM   #3
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I wouldn't worry about it.

Firstly Subaru says the bolt is 1 time use anyway.

Second what would make you want to loosen it. It is there for camber and tight is fine. Not sure how being "too tight" is a problem (giggity giggity)

Torque spec is great for certain things, but the higher the spec the more margin for error the less likely it really matters.

Even lug nuts, it doesn't matter THAT much, though personally I adhere to the spec because I take them on/off DOZENS of times PER MONTH.

On something you are adjusting maybe once a year MAXIMUM and is, according to the manufacturer, one time use. What is the problem?
Old 05-09-2016, 09:29 AM   #4
irax

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ WRB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Yeah, don't loosen the nuts just to re-tighten them.
The intended use of those bolts aren't to clamp something down but to hold something in position.
If you over tighten you will prevent the arm from moving freely.
Those threads stretch so they are really only good once or twice.
If you really have to question it, buy new bolts, and use green lock tight.

Last edited by irax; 05-09-2016 at 10:17 AM.
irax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to irax For This Useful Post:
JMon85 (05-12-2017)