follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 01-25-2018, 03:41 PM   #1
Ethereal05

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Ethereal05 Series.Blue OEM+ STI Build

Introduction
This thread is to document progress on my 2015 Series.Blue OEM+ STI build. Having been a car fan since my teenage years, I never had the opportunity to really build a car. My parents gifted me with a clean 97’ Mitsubish Eclipse with some mods as a starter car in high school and perhaps this sparked my love for detailing and cherishing my daily driver. In February of 2015, finally having completed college and landing a steady job in Engineering, I paid off my daily driver (07’ Mitsubishi Eclipse, I know, it was a get-me-to-class car) and it was time to search for something I really wanted, ignoring the cost. A gift, as it were, for years of hitting the books. I knew quickly that the BRZ was something I was really interested in after seeing a stock WRB pass me on the freeway on the way to work one day. I went over to my local dealer and test drove one. Instantly was in love. Just the way it felt. Sporty, tight and responsive. Just fun to be behind the wheel. I walked away from the dealer and did my duty of considering several other cars that interested me but I knew I wanted to go with the BRZ. Another dealer employee recommended I get my current car appraised at Carmax, just to have an idea of what it was worth. So I dropped my car off for an appraisal. While waiting, I was asked what I was looking for, as they often do. I told them and they offered to pull up their stock for all BRZs available. Having down a little homework before hand, I was aware of the recently released Series.Blue and it was the dream version of the car. All the STI add-ons already on the car and the striking blue leather interior allured me. I am also a sucker for anything in limited runs but having been several months after its release and I had figured they had all been snatched up. To my surprise, two or three listings in, there was a WRB Series.Blue available in the LA area. I was shocked. With just 8,000 miles, I jumped at it and told the rep to put a hold on it and have it shipped to my local store. Two days later I got to walk up to her and I knew, no matter the cost, I had to have it. So I took it home a few days later and couldn’t be happier for it. I found out later, through some detective work, that the car was likely listed for sale the day I walked in or very near it. It was fate. Finally having a car I truly loved, I got involved. Found a local Subaru group and drove down to a local meet to see what the Subaru car scene was all about. It was there that I laid eyes on DSOmegaX’s tS build in its infancy. I looked in awe at all the other STI parts that were available. I immediately went home, looked them up and generated a wish list. I decided early on that it would be a complete OEM build, utilizing genuine Subaru/STI parts only, with much dismay of my wallet. And here we are today. I have provided a list of current parts below as well as ones I plan to do in the future. Thanks for looking!

Under the Hood
STI Battery Tie-Down
STI Radiator Cap
STI Sport Oil Filter
STI Oil Cap
STI Sound Creator

Suspension
STI Flexible V-Bars
STI Flexible Tower Bar

Wheels/Tires
TRD Performance Brake Pads

Exterior
Diode Dynamics License LED Conversion
Diode Dynamics Backup LED Conversion
Subaru Black STI License Plate Frame
Subaru Black STI Marque Plate
Subaru Black Side Fin
Subaru Rear Diffuser
STI Performance Muffler
STI Gurney Flap
STI Front Ornament
STI Wheel Nut Set (Black)
STI Valve Cap Set
STI LED Dayliner Cover Extensions
STI Door Handle Protectors

Interior
Diode Dynamics Interior LED Conversion
Subaru tS STI Door Cover Sill
STI tS 6MT Shift Knob

Electronics
Stock

Miscellaneous
STI Leather Key Cover

Future Parts
Tire Upgrade

Last edited by Ethereal05; 10-05-2020 at 09:13 PM.
Ethereal05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ethereal05 For This Useful Post:
Conman (05-15-2019), Jordan Silveira (01-28-2018), weederr33 (01-25-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 03:42 PM   #2
Ethereal05

Garage
Reserved for older photos.

First photo

First Shoot

Last edited by Ethereal05; 04-30-2019 at 12:54 AM.
Old 01-26-2018, 03:09 PM   #3
Ethereal05

Garage
I was able to snag these STI cover extensions from a local forum member for a great price! New 3M tape and background vinyl arriving today. Should have these installed this weekend.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ethereal05 For This Useful Post:
ERA (05-30-2018), Jordan Silveira (01-28-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 12:50 AM   #4
Si_Chris

Drives: 2016 ISM BRZ Limited, 2000 Civic SI
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Sweet build! I love the series.blue edition.
Si_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Si_Chris For This Useful Post:
Ethereal05 (01-29-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 08:37 PM   #5
Ethereal05

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Si_Chris View Post
Sweet build! I love the series.blue edition.
Thanks, appreciate it. I adore it! I know this isn't a flashy build but I love the minimalist approach and this car was just begging to have more genuine STI parts added to it.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:36 PM   #6
Ethereal05

Garage
STI Cover Extensions are installed! I had to recreate the 3M tape layout and thickness as the industrial grade 3M tape originally used is hard to come by. It turned out pretty decent after a few hours of cleaning and applying the new tape.

The original part also included vinyl wrap to hide the existing paint from view so I had to apply my own referencing photos here on the forum. Did my best to replicate but this will never be seen so I didn't spend too much time.

The fitment is highly documented on other posts so I won't go into too much detail but fitment is about 95% on the USDM DLR with fog lights. While a little force is needed to get the fins to align properly, once in place it's hard to notice any issues due to the vinyl backing. The finished result adds a bit of aggression to the front end and really complements the other STI aero parts. Still, at the asking price of about $300 shipped, it is hard to recommend these to anyone unless they have the non-fogged DLR's. Considering what I paid though, I am stoked to have another great STI part on the car. I will add better quality photos in the future.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ethereal05 For This Useful Post:
ERA (05-30-2018), monkeybike (04-11-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 08:47 PM   #7
Ethereal05

Garage
Part update! I got a chance to take a close up look at the new USDM tS at a local dealer while I was there for routine maintenance. I immediately fell in love with the STI door sill covers and placed an order for a set. Such a subtle part made a significant difference in interior appeal. Highly recommend these.

Before

After

Close up

Last edited by Ethereal05; 05-29-2018 at 09:12 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ethereal05 For This Useful Post:
ERA (05-30-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 03:16 AM   #8
Elliotw

Drives: '18 BRZ tS, '18 GTI SE, '11 RS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Looking good.
Elliotw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Elliotw For This Useful Post:
Ethereal05 (05-30-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 09:22 PM   #9
Ethereal05

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliotw View Post
Looking good.
Thanks! I was just looking at your tS build thread yesterday. Looking forward to watching the progress.
Old 09-13-2018, 12:56 AM   #10
Ethereal05

Garage

After starting my deep dive into purchasing parts for the build, I have had this ultimate goal of turning her into a bit of a garage queen. I am happy to say that it has been achieved! I am no longer driving it daily as a job change has allowed me to walk to work, leaving my car to enjoy the safety of the garage. As such, I haven't really been working towards any new additions as of late but will jumping back in shortly to knock off a couple of items from the want list. Right now I am keep it in tip top shape for upcoming shows. Perhaps I will see some of you there.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:55 AM   #11
Jordan Silveira

Drives: 2016 Subaru Series.HyperBlue #631
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Haha awesome to see man. This is pretty ironic because this is what's happened to mine as of late. I've recently picked up a second vehicle so I can preserve my BRZ for special driving occasions and my own personal long term goal/vision of it. What shows are you thinking of going to? I'd like to be able to show up to some perhaps. Also, it'd be nice to finally see your car in person!
Old 09-14-2018, 12:08 PM   #12
Ethereal05

Garage
It’s a wonderful thing isn’t? I just registered for Subiefest this year in Pasadena. Me and a buddy will be heading out for the day to be in the car show. Would love to see your car in person as well!
Old 03-03-2019, 06:39 PM   #13
Ethereal05

Garage
It has been a bit since a major update as I have been working towards some professional goals as of late, but I do have a small teaser to share. Recently acquired my favorite STI part for the car. Something my build sorely needed. I will update the thread once I get some free time to install.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ethereal05 For This Useful Post:
JeremyR (03-08-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 12:44 AM   #14
Ethereal05

Garage
So I was lucky enough to get a hold of the genuine STI Performance Muffler all the way from down under! Great used condition and for an amazing price. Arrived in great condition and after a bit of extra elbow grease, it was all cleaned up and sparkling. This thing is truly a testament to the quality of OEM parts. You can really tell love went into making these.

This past weekend I was able to pull away from studying to install it. Surprisingly simple! New gasket and a quick 30 minutes later, it was done. Absolutely love how this fills in the backend with a much needed premium look. Not to mention the fitment! It adheres to the body lines with absolute precision and the subtle STI logo just sells the whole thing. Also, I am happy to report that this is exactly what I was looking for in the way of sound. It complements the FA20 boxer rumble with a clean lower tone that is just loud enough to enjoy in the cabin while not being overwhelming. Just adds that hint of sports car with a touch of class. Again, just another way of saying this thing was tuned specifically for this platform and is about as legit as it gets.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ethereal05 For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (05-03-2019), Elliotw (03-18-2019), J1Avs (03-18-2019), Jordan Silveira (03-19-2019)