follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-30-2012, 11:56 PM   #1
Wicked Wookiee

Drives: Audi S4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Grassroot Motorsports Review of FR-S

Grassroot Motorsports Review of FR-S

Just in case you missed the article that came out in the latest issue (Aug 12). I subscribe so here are the highlights:

"The Scion FR-S is further proof that we are living in good times. The car gets a willing engine, comfy interior and stunning looks. It's $25,000 price is reasonable, too."

"The factory set a base price just shy of $25,000 for the new 86 cars, so opulence and scorching performance were never guaranteed. Instead, the focus was driver involvement, and these odd bedfellows [Toyota and Subaru] actually delivered."

"The FR-S is a clean-sheet design. 'Built by passion, not by committee' is Scion's tag line for the car,and unlike most marketing slogans, this one rings true. True motorsports enthusiasts were the target demo from day one."

"It manages to look aggressive without being tacky - muscular without slipping into beefcake territory."

"Once set loose on Spring Mountain's circuit, the FR-S was pure magic. This car offers a smooth, communicative steering feel and eager turn-in, even on the less-than-aggressive 215/45-R17 Michelin Primacy HP rubber."

"The FR-S's light weight helps the ventilated disc brakes - 11.65-inch units front, 11.46-inches rear - feel strong. Fade was imperceptible during our day of testing. Scion's VSC stability system, meanwhile, allows an impressive amount of rotation and slip angle before stepping in. This car is nearly foolproof with the nanny turned on; turned off, and you've got a fantastic dancing partner."

"As with the Miata and E30 M3, track enthusiasts will embrace the new 86 cars."

There is more, but those are my highlights.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/
Wicked Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wicked Wookiee For This Useful Post:
Quentin (07-01-2012), Spaceywilly (07-01-2012)
Old 07-01-2012, 01:38 AM   #2
Quentin

Drives: ‘16 4Runner, ‘19 Corolla HB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
After running the FR-S at the Columbus First Drive event, it is pretty clear to me that I'll have to pick up auto-x again once I finally get mine. The car just shines when you're driving as hard as you possibly can.
Quentin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:01 AM   #3
blalor

Drives: WRB BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I just subscribed to GRM; that is the worst "digital" edition I've ever seen!

I wish they went into more detail on what their day of testing involved. It's the first time I've seen that the brakes didn't fade on the track to the point of being a problem.
blalor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
Wicked Wookiee

Drives: Audi S4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
After running the FR-S at the Columbus First Drive event, it is pretty clear to me that I'll have to pick up auto-x again once I finally get mine. The car just shines when you're driving as hard as you possibly can.
Awesome, I'm glad to hear it. I hope an FR-S will be my future track car.
Wicked Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote