follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 12-07-2020, 08:05 PM   #57
therealstoly

Drives: 2020 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unless you have a medical reason that requires you to have an automatic transmission; given the choice, you should get the manual. If for no other reason; every year sees a decrease in cars available with a manual transmission. You owe it to yourself, your children, and the car community as a whole to +1 the number of manual transmissions sold.
therealstoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 08:17 PM   #58
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,936 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
toyota tacoma is available in manual transmission as well. it is possible to be a truck enthusiast...
True, I was just listing the ones from that one article that didn't cover trucks. That was also 2020. The 2021 list is shorter, but does include trucks. (I'm also assuming this is US as well given there are others with standards in other countries)

Aston Martin Vantage Coupe
BMW Series 2
Chevrolet Camaro and Spark
Ford Bronco and Mustang
Genesis G70
Honda Civic
Hyundai Accent, Veloster
Jeep Gladiator and Wrangler
Kia Forte and Soul
Mazda 3
Mini Hardtop, Convertible and Clubman
Porsche Boxster, Cayman and 911
Subaru Crosstrek, Impreza
Toyota Corolla, Tacoma
Volkwagen Golf, Jetta

the Twins are absent because there is no 2021 model.

And of course, you can always get a motorcycle, although technically its not "rowing" on a bike.

2022 will include the Twins and the CT5-V Blackwing CT4-V Blackwing.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 08:20 PM   #59
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,936 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealstoly View Post
You owe it to yourself, your children, and the car community as a whole to +1 the number of manual transmissions sold.
Well, the only way to do that is to order it that way. Otherwise, you're not really adding one to the fleet. Still, I intend my next ICE to have a standard transmission, if its available, but it will not be the deciding factor in which car I buy.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
therealstoly (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 08:51 PM   #60
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Oh god do we really need TWO MT vs AT threads going at once?
Isn't this fun? You know you love it.
Old 12-07-2020, 09:28 PM   #61
NMmatt

Drives: 2017 860 Special Edition
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Isn't this fun? You know you love it.

I have been lurking on this forum for 5 years and I felt compelled to make this my first post. You are an evil genius!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
NMmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NMmatt For This Useful Post:
bcj (12-08-2020), humfrz (12-08-2020), soundman98 (12-07-2020), therealstoly (12-07-2020), Ultramaroon (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 09:58 PM   #62
Turdinator
Señor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
nut up and get the stick
I say this to my better half sometimes but I am starting to think she also prefers an auto....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingnowherefast View Post
Oh wow, sorry I should have put an "Automatic driver trigger warning!" on the top of my last post.

Again, it's cool that people buy automatics for personal reasons with these cars. But at least with the BRZ/86, the data is pretty ironclad that it is the worse transmission option, which is seldom the case these days.
I have owned a manual car for nearly the last 20 years, they haven't always been my daily driver but they have always been my preferred cars to drive. By preference I wouldn't drive a car with a motor under 3.0l without a manual g/box. That out of the way saying "Oh wow, sorry I should have put an "Automatic driver trigger warning!" on the top of my last post." makes you sound like a twat.

The BRZ/FRS/86 with manual g/box is better only when you are talking about stock and near stock performance. The better economy and ease of use are proven benefits of the auto and are a higher priority for many, many people. Here in Melbourne Australia I see just as many middle aged women in sparkling clean, stock 86s cruising around as I see obviously modified 86s. Just because the performance gains of the manual box are important to you and many people on the forum does not, by a long way, mean it is important to everyone, or even the majority of 86/BRZ/FRS owners.
The Following User Says Thank You to Turdinator For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 10:46 PM   #63
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMmatt View Post
I have been lurking on this forum for 5 years and I felt compelled to make this my first post. You are an evil genius!
OMG! Welcome! Come in! Can I get you anything?
Old 12-07-2020, 10:58 PM   #64
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMmatt View Post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
welcome! beer's in the fridge, cigars are over in the corner of the sitting room, and there's space to the left of humfrz. sit down, take a load off!
Goingnowherefast (12-08-2020), humfrz (12-08-2020), therealstoly (12-08-2020), Ultramaroon (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 11:20 PM   #65
Joyride86

Drives: 15 FR-S Firestorm MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
People always go crazy over this topic. Since you've driven a manual before, did you enjoy it? Only you really know that answer. If you did and you want to get better at it, go for the manual. If not and it brought too much anxiety for a myriad of reasons, go auto. Just remember, it's all about having fun. I think you'll get a lot of that regardless if you pick a manual or automatic.
Diode Dynamics Tail as Turn, LEDs, HIDs | Yospeed Custom Plaque and Frame | Suntek Carbon Tint | Spyder Smoked Side Markers | GrimmSpeed License Plate Relocator and Hood Struts | Five:AD Spoiler | JDM Armrest | Beat-Sonic Backup Cam | Moddiction Anvil 2 | Invidia N2 |
Joyride86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 11:37 PM   #66
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdinator View Post
I say this to my better half sometimes but I am starting to think she also prefers an auto....
So many ways to respond. All of them wrong.
Old 12-08-2020, 12:16 AM   #67
JesseG

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
So, for 2021, the enthusiast has these slim pickings, per Motor Trend. Still some decent but limited choices:

Aston Martin Vantage
BMW 2 and 4 Series
Chevrolet Camaro, Spark
Chevrolet C7 Corvette (if you can find a new one)
Dodge Challenger
Fiat 124 Spider
Ford Mustang
Genesis G70
Honda Accord, Civic and Fit
Hyndai Accent, Elantra GT, Veloster
Kia Forte, Forte GT
Lotus Evora
Mazda 3, MX-5
Mitsubishi Mirage
Nissan 370Z, Versa
Subaru Impreza/WRX/STI
Toyota Corolla, Yaris
Volkswagen Golf/Golf GTI, Jetta
Subaru BRZ / Toyota 86
Porsche Boxter, Cayman, 911

And those pickings are unfortunately getting slimmer every year. I applaud the companies who are keeping the manual alive. I can see Honda, Subaru, and Lotus being some of the last companies that will offer a manual. Ford has also been great about always offering a manual with the Mustang, but I’m worried for that in the future. Same with the Camaro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JesseG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JesseG For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (12-08-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 12:27 AM   #68
JesseG

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Manual vs Automatic (Help!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdinator View Post

I have owned a manual car for nearly the last 20 years, they haven't always been my daily driver but they have always been my preferred cars to drive. By preference I wouldn't drive a car with a motor under 3.0l without a manual g/box. That out of the way saying "Oh wow, sorry I should have put an "Automatic driver trigger warning!" on the top of my last post." makes you sound like a twat.

The BRZ/FRS/86 with manual g/box is better only when you are talking about stock and near stock performance. The better economy and ease of use are proven benefits of the auto and are a higher priority for many, many people. Here in Melbourne Australia I see just as many middle aged women in sparkling clean, stock 86s cruising around as I see obviously modified 86s. Just because the performance gains of the manual box are important to you and many people on the forum does not, by a long way, mean it is important to everyone, or even the majority of 86/BRZ/FRS owners.

I don’t know I agree with all of that, and I usually agree with most everything from the land Down Under. You guys and gals are awesome.
I think, just in my opinion, that a car like the FRS/86/BRZ will always be more fun and engaging to drive with a manual over an automatic. Now on something like an Accord Sport for instance, I don’t think it transforms the car. It will always be a large sedan. The connected feeling with my car is amazing, and the auto would ruin that. I 100% understand why people choose the auto option for the twins, or any other car. It sucks to drive a manual in heavy traffic, which is what most people face on the daily commute. But the 86/BRZ are at their best with a manual, and I’m still a little surprised that an auto was ever offered. Subaru has traditionally gone with manual only in the WRX STI, and for many years the WRX also. (It’s a travesty they offer the WRX with a CVT, that is wrong on so many levels)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JesseG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 01:10 AM   #69
Turdinator
Señor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseG View Post
I don’t know I agree with all of that, and I usually agree with most everything from the land Down Under. You guys and gals are awesome.
I think, just in my opinion, that a car like the FRS/86/BRZ will always be more fun and engaging to drive with a manual over an automatic. Now on something like an Accord Sport for instance, I don’t think it transforms the car. It will always be a large sedan. The connected feeling with my car is amazing, and the auto would ruin that. I 100% understand why people choose the auto option for the twins, or any other car. It sucks to drive a manual in heavy traffic, which is what most people face on the daily commute. But the 86/BRZ are at their best with a manual, and I’m still a little surprised that an auto was ever offered. Subaru has traditionally gone with manual only in the WRX STI, and for many years the WRX also. (It’s a travesty they offer the WRX with a CVT, that is wrong on so many levels)
Like every country we have our share of douches don't worry about that!

I personally agree with your points but I haven't driven an auto twin to know for sure. When I was buying mine there was never any doubt I'd be buying the manual. I enjoy the extra connection to the car. I am just saying that different people want different things from a car and what I think is better won't inherently be better to someone else.

I even think CVTs aren't as bad as people say once you are used to them
(I wouldn't want one on a twin tho)
Old 12-08-2020, 01:24 AM   #70
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,183 Times in 3,472 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
would have to confirm with someone from across the pond @JD001, but i believe in the EU, 'standard' is the typical definition for a manual transmission...

i'm under 50 and i know exactly what a 'standard' transmission is...
'Standard' is MT, however the scene is changing with AT becoming a more common offer. Some sports cars now only offered in AT format such as the Alpine..
JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JD001 For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (12-08-2020)

Tags
automatic, manual