follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 03-18-2019, 02:16 PM   #29
freestyle00045

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (ultramarine)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Vehicle Mileage:20,010
Vehicle Make: 2013 Scion FR-S
Miles After Recall Performed: 1,000
Other work completed with recall: none

My engine has not blown-up. Yet.

But about 2 weeks after the recall was done, my check engine light came on. I pulled over, plugged in my OBDII, and it gave me a P0455 (large evap leak.) My fuel cap seal was looking a little shabby, so I put on a new OEM cap and cleared the codes. A week later, the light came back on. I popped the hood and saw that a hose was disconnected from the intake manifold. Probably part of the annoying evap system. Light has been off for 2 weeks. If that was all the idiots doing the recall forgot to do, I will be very happy.
Attached Images

freestyle00045 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to freestyle00045 For This Useful Post:
bcj (03-19-2019), caus (03-18-2019), theneptune86 (03-24-2021)
Old 03-20-2019, 11:10 AM   #30
VenomRush
Thee O-ri-gi-na-tor

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseo View Post
You accumulated a lot of miles. Any problems you got on the road beside the valve spring recall? Did you changed radiator fluid
i have actually changed my radiator fluid. I noticed my temp gauge raising randomly around maybe 150k miles, didn't do a complete flush, just drained what was in the radiator which was maybe a little less than a gallon and added almost two jugs of the Toyota blue stuff.
VenomRush is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VenomRush For This Useful Post:
ddevl_86 (03-25-2021)
Old 03-20-2019, 01:03 PM   #31
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomRush View Post
i have actually changed my radiator fluid. I noticed my temp gauge raising randomly around maybe 150k miles, didn't do a complete flush, just drained what was in the radiator which was maybe a little less than a gallon and added almost two jugs of the Toyota blue stuff.

They probably didn’t bleed the air out properly which is kind of sad because it’s damn easy to bleed this car.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
VenomRush (03-26-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 10:25 PM   #32
Enkrow

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Vehicle Mileage: ~69k
Vehicle Make: FRS
Miles After Recall Performed: ~4k miles, 2 trackdays
Other work completed with recall: 2017+ TOB

I've been driving her like I stole it, no issues to report. Changed the oil twice since, everything looked fine. No leaks, etc. Toyota of SLO seems to have done a great job.
Enkrow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enkrow For This Useful Post:
ddevl_86 (03-25-2021)
Old 03-24-2019, 12:15 AM   #33
YBLEGAL

Drives: 2013 BRZ WRB, 2000 Civic Turbo
Vehicle Mileage: 55,000
Vehicle Make: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Miles After Recall Performed: ~4,000
Dealer who performed work: Camelback Subaru Phoenix AZ

Located the car for sale in Phoenix end of Jan. Private sale. Seller mentioned the recall. My plan was to drive it cross-country from Phoenix to Chicagoland. The seller was nice enough to take the car in for the recall prior to any sale being finalized. The dealer took about a week, and postponed delivery a few times, but maintained an acceptable level of communication about the progress and testing. Happy to report the car was done right. After it was finished, the seller put only a handful of miles on it prior to meeting up. I drove it straight to Chicagoland with no issues. I then did a turn-and-burn and drove it straight to Baton Rouge LA. After a week of work, drove back to Chicagoland. Then did an oil change, no debris could be found. More miles since the oil change and continues to be normal. Thank you Camelback Subaru!

I'm generally driving my turbo B16 Civic coupe that I do all wrenching and tuning for. I usually don't trust dealerships so I feel lucky. That being said, if the FA20 is seriously that susceptible to failure by RTV loose in the oil, I would suggest people change the oil right away. Protocol should be assemble the engine, wait a period of time for RTV to cure before filling with oil. After oil is filled, idle the engine till operating temperature. Stop the motor, drain all the oil out, swap the filter, fill it again, and idle up to operating temperature again. If you feel worried still, burn another $25 and swap the oil out again. I haven't seen anyone suggest wasting oil to clean the engine out, but that's going to be your best bet I say.
YBLEGAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 12:55 AM   #34
ybotspawn

Drives: 13 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by YBLEGAL View Post
Vehicle Mileage: 55,000
Miles After Recall Performed: ~4,000
Dealer who performed work: Camelback Subaru Phoenix AZ

Located the car for sale in Phoenix end of Jan. Private sale. Seller mentioned the recall. My plan was to drive it cross-country from Phoenix to Chicagoland. The seller was nice enough to take the car in for the recall prior to any sale being finalized. The dealer took about a week, and postponed delivery a few times, but maintained an acceptable level of communication about the progress and testing. Happy to report the car was done right. After it was finished, the seller put only a handful of miles on it prior to meeting up. I drove it straight to Chicagoland with no issues. I then did a turn-and-burn and drove it straight to Baton Rouge LA. After a week of work, drove back to Chicagoland. Then did an oil change, no debris could be found. More miles since the oil change and continues to be normal. Thank you Camelback Subaru!

I'm generally driving my turbo B16 Civic coupe that I do all wrenching and tuning for. I usually don't trust dealerships so I feel lucky. That being said, if the FA20 is seriously that susceptible to failure by RTV loose in the oil, I would suggest people change the oil right away. Protocol should be assemble the engine, wait a period of time for RTV to cure before filling with oil. After oil is filled, idle the engine till operating temperature. Stop the motor, drain all the oil out, swap the filter, fill it again, and idle up to operating temperature again. If you feel worried still, burn another $25 and swap the oil out again. I haven't seen anyone suggest wasting oil to clean the engine out, but that's going to be your best bet I say.
I'll let someone more knowledgeable than I go into the technical details, but the concern around "just do an oil change after" isn't just particulate left in the oil. Rather the concern seems to be the sealant breaks off and clogs pathways and galleys all over the engine. In the case of the cam bearings, for example, Subaru's actual notice states that the sealant can be captured in the cam carrier. This wouldn't be solved by an oil change alone. The obvious sign is the oil pickup, but it's not the only place the sealant is doing damage

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
ybotspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ybotspawn For This Useful Post:
ddevl_86 (03-25-2021)
Old 03-24-2019, 01:01 AM   #35
YBLEGAL

Drives: 2013 BRZ WRB, 2000 Civic Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybotspawn View Post
I'll let someone more knowledgeable than I go into the technical details, but the concern around "just do an oil change after" isn't just particulate left in the oil. Rather the concern seems to be the sealant breaks off and clogs pathways and galleys all over the engine. In the case of the cam bearings, for example, Subaru's actual notice states that the sealant can be captured in the cam carrier. This wouldn't be solved by an oil change alone. The obvious sign is the oil pickup, but it's not the only place the sealant is doing damage

I gotcha. Since posting I saw some info in another thread.

Now I guess I'm curious to know if the FA20 by design uses RTV to seal any pressurized oil passages. If not, part of the problem could be where techs are applying the RTV.
YBLEGAL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to YBLEGAL For This Useful Post:
ybotspawn (03-24-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 01:04 AM   #36
ybotspawn

Drives: 13 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by YBLEGAL View Post
I gotcha. Since posting I saw some info in another thread.

Now I guess I'm curious to know if the FA20 by design uses RTV to seal any pressurized oil passages. If not, part of the problem could be where techs are applying the RTV.
I think there were a couple cases of people posting pictures of sealant applied in places where Subaru explicitly provided instructions not to apply sealant. Whether these are any of the pressurized oil passages I'm not so sure, but it's not helping the problem regardless.

ybotspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 04:28 PM   #37
Xman17

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Vehicle Mileage: 75,000
Miles After Recall Performed: ~1,000
Other work completed with recall: replaced Clutch, replaced driver side axle with a DriveShaft Shop unit, replaced spark plugs.
Dealer who performed work: Orange Coast Subaru, Santa Ana CA

Special Notes: My car is heavily modified. Running flex fuel E85, Greddy turbo kit, ECUtek, fuel injectors, Greddy oil cooler, and much more. This place was kind enough to take off my turbo and reinstall it for me, though they did charge me some labor.

Car has been flawless since. No issues, no leaks, no funny noises.
Xman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xman17 For This Useful Post:
ddevl_86 (03-25-2021), Tcoat (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 04:34 PM   #38
Exrald

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS & 2022 GR86
Vehicle Mileage: 88,500

Vehicle Make: 2013 Scion FRS

Miles After Recall Performed: 1,408

Other work completed with recall: None

Dealer who performed work: Concord, Toyota; Concord, California

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Exrald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Exrald For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 07:17 PM   #39
congee

Drives: SSM BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
For those who did the recall with a tune / OFT. Did you guys flash it back to stock before dropping it off and then you guys continue to run the stock tune for those 1000+ miles after getting it back?
Old 04-17-2019, 08:45 PM   #40
Exrald

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS & 2022 GR86
Quote:
Originally Posted by congee View Post
For those who did the recall with a tune / OFT. Did you guys flash it back to stock before dropping it off and then you guys continue to run the stock tune for those 1000+ miles after getting it back?
No. I didn't flash mine back to stock, because of my noncatted UEL headers. I dropped it off tuned and informed then about the modification the car have. There was no CEL/codes for O2 sensor, when I picked it up, so they wouldn't have tuned it back either... Just inform them, to make sure.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Exrald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Exrald For This Useful Post:
congee (04-17-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 03:33 PM   #41
blackspike

Drives: Toyota GT86 racing red, Aero
Vehicle Mileage: 44.385
Vehicle Make: 2013 (built in 2012) Toyota GT86
Miles After Recall Performed: 745
Other work completed with recall: Spark plugs exchange (only material costs)

I live in Austria (Europe, not Australia) and the work was done from May 25th to May 27th. My local dealer has already "repaired" 5 other GT86 when i was there.

Since then I have driven 1200 kilometer (745 miles), yesterday 469 kilometer (291 miles) in one day - most of the time between 60 and 90 miles per hour, which is legal here.

I had no trouble since the recall - really nothing!
I have ask the dealer if they have to flash the software and he told me, that they don't have to - so i still use an optimized tune that i have installed with the Open Flash Tablet.

I have automatic transmission with a 4.67 final drive.
blackspike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blackspike For This Useful Post:
slizoth (04-18-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 09:03 PM   #42
FRS_PR

Drives: Scion FR-S Ultramarine
Vehicle Mileage: 47,500

Vehicle Make: 2013 Scion FR-S

Miles After Recall Performed: 1,300

Other work completed with recall: Spark plugs, 2017 TOB, new ACT clutch, Verus Fork

Dealer who performed work: Longo Toyota of Prosper, Texas
FRS_PR is offline   Reply With Quote