follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-27-2014, 05:09 AM   #29
NickFRS

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by garfull View Post
how did you gut the stock header?
take it off. break apart the cat in the inside. wash it out. then polish it. done! later going to put a pipe in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintavo View Post
True, but given the same pulley size, breathing mods will marginally reduce boost pressure because more gas escapes the combustion chamber.

How does the drone compare to the previous setup?

Thanks for posting your results.
there is actually hardly any drone. only on cold start. there is obv resonance where the gutted cat is. but you only really notice it at idle or cold start. pipe + new collectors coming soon!

NickFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NickFRS For This Useful Post:
clintavo (01-27-2014)
Old 01-27-2014, 08:45 AM   #30
xsnapshot
Fast enough

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ AT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFRS View Post
You fail to see what i'm saying.

boost is dependent on pulley size. Charger ftw.

It is as simple as installing a smaller pulley to create more boost? Maybe I should have been more clear. Science is fact. The smaller the pulley the faster the charger spins = more air being compressed = more boost.

I'm not disagreeing with you. Lol.
Industrial is spot on. If you look at the compressor map for the supercharger impeller, you can find where you are at CFM-wise by using your known RPM and manifold relative pressure.

If you increase the VE, while RPM remains the same, you WILL have less boost. So yes you're right. Science is fact.
xsnapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:36 PM   #31
NickFRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsnapshot View Post
Industrial is spot on. If you look at the compressor map for the supercharger impeller, you can find where you are at CFM-wise by using your known RPM and manifold relative pressure.

If you increase the VE, while RPM remains the same, you WILL have less boost. So yes you're right. Science is fact.
*face palm* indeed he is but he said it isn't as simple as strapping on a new pulley which was my argument to make more boost. That's my argument. I'm well aware behind the flow dynamics of an engine from intake to exhaust. Any basic auto tech student would learn that. i've made flow dynamic models before for engines in school. But saying more boost is not as simple as putting on a smaller pulley is wrong. It's 4 bolts. That's quite simple. Smaller pulley = boost. argument invalid if there ever was an argument behind my statement of putting a smaller pulley would make more boost.

(not to mention this is stock intake/stock header) Stock on both ends. the front pipe is even stock. The exhaust is only non OEM demension from he mid pipe back which doesn't change flow that much. The header/intake act as a bottle neck. The only restriction (if you want to call cats huge restriction) that was removed was the cats and the midpipe/catback. Not even arguing the boost was different from 1 set up to the other. There was no recording done on that end. Same pulley size = same boost every run on charger.

/done talking to trolls about boost on a exhaust/intake section.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:43 AM   #32
industrial
Add lightness!

Drives: 17' WRX
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by industrial View Post
This probably is the case here since you can't easily turn up the boost to compensate for reduced back pressure or increased scavenging from a free flowing exhaust.
Quote:
boost is dependent on pulley size. Charger ftw.
Quote:
Not really that simple. If you unbolted your supercharger from the engine and just ran it into open air it would generate 0 boost. Likewise, changes to engine VE like reducing back pressure or improving scavenging will decrease boost pressure since a non-waste gated supercharge just pushes a fixed cfm.
Quote:
Are you for real? You do understand the innovate supercharger is a intake manifold replacement twinscrew charger right? If you removed the charger the car wouldn't start. The charger is dependent on pulley size for boost. You can't just make it magically generate more or less boost w.o altering the pulley size.

If you put a more free flowing exhaust or intake all you will be doing is changing the AFR's. In which case you can pull more power. Adding an exhaust to a charger doesn't make it generate more boost. Twinscrews work way differently then turbo's.
industrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:44 AM   #33
NickFRS

Quote:
:l aughabove:: popcorn::popco rn::w00t :: burnrubber::bu rnrubber:: threadjacked:
Old 01-28-2014, 07:19 PM   #34
EvilBeaverFace
Not trying to be a ****

Drives: BRZ - 6MT - GBS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
What just happened?
EvilBeaverFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:55 PM   #35
xia

Drives: 1995 Supra TT & 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Lol forget the guys.

Is noise noticeably louder? I have a Berk muffler delete and i dont want to wake up the neighbors. I hope to get my header out and try this, this weekend and see if i can notice a difference in power.
xia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:25 PM   #36
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
How is the gutted stock header holding up, I'm beginning to think this is a smart way to go. You said your turner pulled timing around 3,5k but did he adjust the vvt? Just looking for an update.

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:46 PM   #37
Captain Insano

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler RubiconX
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Interested as well in this information. It does make sense, I think even "high flow cats" get downplayed by most on this forum about how much they can restrict flow. A "high flow" metal substrate cat is nothing more than better flowing compared to a traditional OEM cat. That's not saying much. Empty pipe flows better than a high flow cat.

And I'm not here to debate about the environment so please, please, please don't go there on a soap box. I'm simply stating air flow dynamics and performance.
Captain Insano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:57 PM   #38
OmarGC
My FR-S has 5 gears

Drives: FRS/280z/Tundra
Thanked 1,065 Times in 572 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
You gonna sell your gutted stock parts? If so pm me.

2JZ - 6870 - stock block - 1000whp?

Instagram: 2jzus
OmarGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:20 AM   #39
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
The stock manifold is a quality piece right up to the cat where the collector would be on a header.

Gutting the stock manifold cat should allow the same ability to do the magic vvt and ignition magic tuners are doing to eliminate the torque dip with catless headers.

I would be interested in knowing if the gutted cat developed any exhaust leaks.

Also I think there would be a market for taking the stock manifold and replacing the cat with a quality collector along with a tune. Budget performance that would probably compete with HKS EL's, and you get to the keep flexjoints!

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:34 PM   #40
SDIAZ

Drives: 2004 350Z
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
take it off. break apart the cat in the inside. wash it out. then polish it. done! later going to put a pipe in.

there is actually hardly any drone. only on cold start. there is obv resonance where the gutted cat is. but you only really notice it at idle or cold start. pipe + new collectors coming soon!

Thank you for actually having a comparable dyno. Quick question though, what did you use to break up the cat and polish?
SDIAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:37 AM   #41
NickFRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDIAZ View Post
Thank you for actually having a comparable dyno. Quick question though, what did you use to break up the cat and polish?
used a hammer n chissel to break apart the cat. Then used a dremel to polish it ot.

As for noise it's not that much louder then before. But obv it's loud after 4k RPM's esp since i'm boosted.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:11 AM   #42
R2

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
used a hammer n chissel to break apart the cat. Then used a dremel to polish it ot.

As for noise it's not that much louder then before. But obv it's loud after 4k RPM's esp since i'm boosted.
Did you ever get a photo of the inside of the front pipe resonator?
R2 is offline   Reply With Quote