follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 06-13-2013, 05:25 PM   #15
knaa

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobzking View Post
This is the same head unit as the premium, its just missing the GPS module. Same part number as the "premium" version shown here. As stated by Moto-P this is currently half off what it will be once its released with the car. The only questions is how much will the GPS module be. $50 or $500? lol.

http://www.scion.com/BeSpoke/
bump, the main reason i wanna switch from the current stock radio is for navi so im also interested in knowing how much the gps module is going to be before purchasing this new one
knaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:40 PM   #16
jacobzking

Drives: White FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
We should know in just a few weeks. I doubt it will be more than $300. But there's no telling. I think it's going to just be the antenna, but could be wrong.
jacobzking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:38 PM   #17
Calavera

Drives: Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
This is clearly on the base unit. My guess would be another module(s) that adds bespoke and gps for another $500-$600.
Attached Images

Calavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:05 PM   #18
applekash

Drives: Series 10 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
This is the same head unit as the premium, its just missing the GPS module. Same part number as the "premium" version shown here. As stated by Moto-P this is currently half off what it will be once its released with the car. The only questions is how much will the GPS module be. $50 or $500? lol.

http://www.scion.com/BeSpoke/

"Once its released with the car"

Does this mean the FRS Series 10 will come with the premium upgrade? On the Scion website there is an ambiguous statement that the premium version will come standard on the Series models. That said, I might just be interpreting this wrong.

Note in the picture I have selected the bespoke image.
Attached Images

applekash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:09 PM   #19
jacobzking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calavera View Post
This is clearly on the base unit. My guess would be another module(s) that adds bespoke and gps for another $500-$600.
I hope not. Charging as much for a little add-on module as the whole touch screen head unit would be a ripoff.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:00 AM   #20
applekash

Some rep. At Scion.com's chat support indicated that the radio would not have nav or bespoke (in the series 10 frs) without the $1,000+ add on for "premium." That said, I'm not sure exactly whether this person knew what they were talking about.

That said it seems like the radio is going as a standard in the cars but you have to pay a premium for any of the good options... Could be wrong...
Old 06-14-2013, 01:03 PM   #21
jacobzking

just the idea of them putting this head unit in every car with a big MAP button that doesnt work seems so wrong. its like, "look, we included NAv!... just kidding, that's extra $$."
Old 06-14-2013, 01:10 PM   #22
Narcoden

Drives: '13 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
just the idea of them putting this head unit in every car with a big MAP button that doesnt work seems so wrong. its like, "look, we included NAv!... just kidding, that's extra $$."
Or a marketing technique to get a bunch of people to finally cave at a later date and pony up extra cash just so it works.
Narcoden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Narcoden For This Useful Post:
wootwoot (06-19-2013)
Old 06-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #23
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Drives: Hot Lava 86
Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,386 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
So, no nav right off the bat. I wonder if it would be worth it to try and get the dealer to swap out the Bespoke upgrade on my lease with this 2014 radio while it's on sale...
Old 06-14-2013, 07:21 PM   #24
jacobzking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermore View Post
So, no nav right off the bat. I wonder if it would be worth it to try and get the dealer to swap out the Bespoke upgrade on my lease with this 2014 radio while it's on sale...
PROBABLY not. unfortunately, there's not much they can really do without just throwing their money away. first off, this isn't an "official mod" that the dealer will recognize; its not suggested or recommended by the dealer. 2nd, they have no use for your old bespoke head unit, they dont sell used parts nor can they just swap them out. another argument on the dealers behalf... your BeSpoke unit is "better." in that it has the BeSpoke system and blah blah blah. This 2014 HU is just a base HU, nothing special.

your best bet is ebay. you may be able to sell the bespoke unit for $500-600 and break even. if that's your plan though, I'd hurry and get one of these head unit before the price goes WAY up on em. I trusted Moto-P to buy one of these $500+ dollar head units blind, and i trust him that the price will be $1100.
The Following User Says Thank You to jacobzking For This Useful Post:
Nevermore (06-14-2013)
Old 06-15-2013, 04:28 AM   #25
applekash

Quote:
Not sure why I haven't paid closer attention to this, but this shows a big piece of the "missing puzzle" to me. So this head unit will be standard on ALL 2014 FRS with radio/cd/usb, bluetooth/phone. But a BeSpoke "extension box" can simply be added on to enable:

Nav
-one shot address entry
-embedded POIs
-voice recognition

AHA
-podcasts, audiobooks, internet radio
-geolocation based services
-facebook and twitter readout
-scion radio station

IOS and Android compatable

This is good news as it will simply be a plug in box to the existing head unit. I'm assuming that this means just plug in a box and a gps antenna and tada! Now the question... how much is said box going to be?
The Scion Series 10 comes with the radio already, however if I want to add the aforementioned "premium" content I need to shell out a little over $1,000... Is that not the price for the bespoke add on box?

Last edited by applekash; 06-15-2013 at 04:29 AM. Reason: Typing Error
Old 06-15-2013, 04:39 AM   #26
applekash

Also, can you take another video with the iPhone connected... I'd like to see how it works
Old 06-15-2013, 04:44 AM   #27
Stephens

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S - MT - Asphalt
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

IOS and Android compatable
So I guess the app will finally come to Android. My car has the current BeSpoke unit and I have never used the BeSpoke. It was the car I wanted and it happened to have BeSpoke. Although I hear it isn't too great.
Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:20 AM   #28
applekash

@jacobzking

This seems to answer our second question. (See link below) It seems to verified from another poster in the Series 10 thread in the general forum. That said, I should get a confirmation myself later today from the dealership when I contact them.

http://club4ag.com/2014-scion-displa...b_source=email