follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 09-23-2020, 10:16 AM   #10977
Aztec
Lost in the twisties

Drives: 2014 BRZ Dark Gray Metallic
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
@BlOody_BoOger

Aztec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:55 AM   #10978
BlOody_BoOger

Drives: Hot lava FRS Monogram Charizard
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztec View Post
You and @zc06_kisstherain have the same control boxes mines are different but I have a third one lol which might work. I'll let you guys know today after I get home from work

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk
BlOody_BoOger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BlOody_BoOger For This Useful Post:
zc06_kisstherain (09-23-2020)
Old 09-27-2020, 11:14 AM   #10979
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlOody_BoOger View Post
You and @zc06_kisstherain have the same control boxes mines are different but I have a third one lol which might work. I'll let you guys know today after I get home from work

any update for us?
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 05:47 PM   #10980
geraldjust

Drives: MR2, Sliver BRZ
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zc06_kisstherain View Post
any update for us?
Hey guys! Im a electronic engineer who design actual electronics boards and other things similar to this. I also reversed engineered the canbus systems on these cars and been recently interested in these electric turbos. always thought i could improve and add more features to the electronic box on these things. But the my first step is to try and get a actual unit. So if anyone out there have a broken one (broken controller) please PM me. What im interested in doing is try and support a better range of battery power. Perhaps try and make it compatible with lithium ion batteries to be able to relocate / improve dumping(current). Either add bluetooth to be able to diagnose issues easier and/or add can bus support to be able to read throttle pedal or brake, battery level Boost psi or other things like that. And probably improve better mosfets and better components so that it doesn't break too often lol.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:27 PM   #10981
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldjust View Post
Hey guys! Im a electronic engineer who design actual electronics boards and other things similar to this. I also reversed engineered the canbus systems on these cars and been recently interested in these electric turbos. always thought i could improve and add more features to the electronic box on these things. But the my first step is to try and get a actual unit. So if anyone out there have a broken one (broken controller) please PM me. What im interested in doing is try and support a better range of battery power. Perhaps try and make it compatible with lithium ion batteries to be able to relocate / improve dumping(current). Either add bluetooth to be able to diagnose issues easier and/or add can bus support to be able to read throttle pedal or brake, battery level Boost psi or other things like that. And probably improve better mosfets and better components so that it doesn't break too often lol.
I can let go mine as whole kit if you are interested

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:29 PM   #10982
BlOody_BoOger

Quote:
Originally Posted by zc06_kisstherain View Post
I can let go mine as whole kit if you are interested

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
And I have an extra older unit I took apart sorry I never replied @zc06_kisstherain but I did look at the switch and it is different. I think because the unit I have is actually one of the original units that shiv used on his audi r8 because its so different than the one you have I don't think I can make it work but maybe this guy can.

Old 09-30-2020, 09:58 PM   #10983
geraldjust

Drives: MR2, Sliver BRZ
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
And I have an extra older unit I took apart sorry I never replied @zc06_kisstherain but I did look at the switch and it is different. I think because the unit I have is actually one of the original units that shiv used on his audi r8 because its so different than the one you have I don't think I can make it work but maybe this guy can.

Well to me the way these operate are somewhat simple as their 3 phase AC motors but driven very very fast. So im sure depending on the kit this can change somewhat but should be over all the same. PM me and let me know your price. Ive been just wanting to get a broken one to try and reverse engineer it first then replicate it with better components and add features. etc. so the control box might be in the bin at the end of the day.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:47 AM   #10984
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Yes it is a pretty simple system. Essentially it's just a big electric ducted fan motor (24V 3 phase DC brushless motor) attached to the compressor side of a turbocharger. The charger/controller is a combination ESC (electronic speed controller) and charger.

If you can make a charger/controller that works with lithium ion batteries I'll buy it. I'm building an electric bike but I haven't ordered the batteries yet. On my ESC (electric super charger) I use SLA batteries totalling 27aH@24V and I've never run out of boost.
I'm thinking about getting two 15aH 24V lithium ion batteries. On the e-bike i could use them in series for 15aH@48V and on the ESC use them in parallel for 30aH@24V. I'll rig up some sort of plug-in system so I can plug them into the bike, go for a ride, then plug them back into the car to charge them.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:11 AM   #10985
BlOody_BoOger

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
Yes it is a pretty simple system. Essentially it's just a big electric ducted fan motor (24V 3 phase DC brushless motor) attached to the compressor side of a turbocharger. The charger/controller is a combination ESC (electronic speed controller) and charger.

If you can make a charger/controller that works with lithium ion batteries I'll buy it. I'm building an electric bike but I haven't ordered the batteries yet. On my ESC (electric super charger) I use SLA batteries totalling 27aH@24V and I've never run out of boost.
I'm thinking about getting two 15aH 24V lithium ion batteries. On the e-bike i could use them in series for 15aH@48V and on the ESC use them in parallel for 30aH@24V. I'll rig up some sort of plug-in system so I can plug them into the bike, go for a ride, then plug them back into the car to charge them.
Ilu have different battery set up???

Old 10-01-2020, 10:34 AM   #10986
WNDSRFR

I have the original 1.5 setup. I use two Powersonic 18aH and two Sigma Tek 9aH batteries for the ESC and one Powersonic 18aH for the car battery.
I got into the game very early. I think I got the third one made. The controller on that one burned up and Rob sent me a new improved version. Later I had a complete meltdown. I was sitting a a traffic light and smoke started billowing out from under my hood. I pulled over, opened the hood and the wires from the controller were on fire!
I sent the burned up kit back to Rob for evaluation and Rob sent me the latest and greatest (at the time). It has the two step footswitch and the new battery tray. Rob even offered to buy me new batteries for the new tray.
But I declined because the old batteries were still fine. I gave the new tray to one the forum members.
Oh, by the way, what happened to the kit that burned up? The shaft on the motor broke jamming everything up. And the controller overamped. That's the reason why Rob went with the two stage switch. There was such a shock to the shaft by going from zero to 50,000 RPM in a microsecond. After so many shocks the shaft just gives up.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:34 AM   #10987
jeffchap

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
I think you could make a fortune if you are serious about this. Back when the guy that developed these was still active, there was about a 1.5 year wait list for them. If he had gone full production, I think he could have sold hundreds of them. But I take it he was just doing it as a hobby and didn't really need the money.

If the next gen comes out NA as expected, there will be a whole new surge of demand. I'd certainly buy one.

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk
Old 10-01-2020, 11:35 AM   #10988
BlOody_BoOger

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
I have the original 1.5 setup. I use two Powersonic 18aH and two Sigma Tek 9aH batteries for the ESC and one Powersonic 18aH for the car battery.
I got into the game very early. I think I got the third one made. The controller on that one burned up and Rob sent me a new improved version. Later I had a complete meltdown. I was sitting a a traffic light and smoke started billowing out from under my hood. I pulled over, opened the hood and the wires from the controller were on fire!
I sent the burned up kit back to Rob for evaluation and Rob sent me the latest and greatest (at the time). It has the two step footswitch and the new battery tray. Rob even offered to buy me new batteries for the new tray.
But I declined because the old batteries were still fine. I gave the new tray to one the forum members.
Oh, by the way, what happened to the kit that burned up? The shaft on the motor broke jamming everything up. And the controller overamped. That's the reason why Rob went with the two stage switch. There was such a shock to the shaft by going from zero to 50,000 RPM in a microsecond. After so many shocks the shaft just gives up.
Damn lol I should just keep it how it is then. Makes me wonder how long the shaft on my phantoms will last me

Old 10-01-2020, 11:49 AM   #10989
WNDSRFR

Quote:
I got a great idea!
I'm a retired electronic manufacturing engineer. I forgot. I used to build this sort of thing every day. If you can send me a schematic and a parts list I can build a prototype on a wirewrap board. The parts would probably cost less than fifty bucks.
If it works, we can go into mass production.
And GET RICH.
And not have to pay taxes anymore!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WNDSRFR For This Useful Post:
jeffchap (10-01-2020), pope (10-01-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 11:53 AM   #10990
WNDSRFR

Quote:

My controller is different too. At least the outside is. Mine is silver.

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive