follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 02-20-2015, 10:43 PM   #1
Manji
Toyotas don't have boxers

Drives: GTV86, ISF, TE27
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Front camber from LCA, hub and tophat

My setup has been fairly straight forward at the front since I've had the car. 1 degree neg camber gained from camber bolt, and 2 degrees from the top hat.

Soon I'll have a new FLCA setup and my intention is to increase the front track so that I can get more angle for drifting. But, just doing that will have me sitting at far too much front camber, so I need to either set the top hat to a more positive camber setting, adjust the hub camber setting or both. I'm not sure what the ideal way to do this is, and whether there is any discernible difference with regards to suspension geometry.

I have MCA suspension now, which have a unique camber adjustment method at the hub. Basically I can set it here to either 0, -1, -2, +1, +2.

Doing some rough measuring, based on the wheel and tyre I'm running, the camber I want to achieve etc I'll be able to go either

1. Set the tophat to about centre, 0 hub setting.
2. Set the tophat slightly positive, -1 hub setting.
3. Set the tophat further postive,-2 hub setting.

It doesn't make any sense to me to go the other way, eg leaving the top hat negative, with making the correction at the hub with a positive setting; because having the top hat at full negative, and the LCA pumped out, puts the shock at quite an angle. Option 3 above would be the opposite of this, keeping the shock as upright as possible.

Thoughts?
Manji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 05:49 AM   #2
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
You're going to want to adjust the top hat to give the least amount of camber from the top as you can live with. By increasing the track width at the bottom, you're already increasing the SAI, so you'll want to go as far positive as possible at the top hat to minimize that change.

Camber changed at the hub/knuckle doesn't affect SAI, so that's where you'll want to go as negative as you can to get the end camber you want.
The Following User Says Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
Manji (02-21-2015)
Old 02-21-2015, 07:20 AM   #3
Manji
Toyotas don't have boxers

Drives: GTV86, ISF, TE27
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
You're going to want to adjust the top hat to give the least amount of camber from the top as you can live with. By increasing the track width at the bottom, you're already increasing the SAI, so you'll want to go as far positive as possible at the top hat to minimize that change.

Camber changed at the hub/knuckle doesn't affect SAI, so that's where you'll want to go as negative as you can to get the end camber you want.
Hmm. Did 10 mins of googling after this. Seems like that my wheel offset (+16) is going to be causing an increase in scrub radius, and that running the shock at more of an angle (more SAI) would compensate for that. It also appears that running more SAI is a generally a good thing.

Which now makes me think the opposite of what I initially thought. Run more SAI to counter my offset change. Use camber adjustment at hub on positive to reduce what would otherwise be too much neg camber.
Manji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:37 PM   #4
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Increased SAI does more than just shift the scrub radius, but if that's all you're after with the low offset, then you'll be in the ballpark.

It's not something you want to mess with too much unless you know what you're doing, and where things are actually going to end up.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:10 PM   #5
sunset_blvd

Drives: Lava 2014 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm just curious which FLCA's you plan on using?
sunset_blvd is offline   Reply With Quote