follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 12-31-2016, 06:14 PM   #1
sroby

Drives: 2015 Firestorm 08/05/15
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Oft tunning help in Alanta Ga, metro area

Are their any members in the Atlanta area who can help me with understanding the OFT and tweaking for possible knock. I am more of a hands on and note taker. I am willing to pay for your time, or know of a tuner in our area whose knowledge of the OFT tuning.

I checked with one tuner who is in the Marietta, Ga area. It seems their employees want to talk down the Oft and talk up the Ecutune. I would like to have it dyno'd and tweaked for what the dyno results show. They want to sale you the ecutune because they say its easier to tune. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Steve

Last edited by sroby; 12-31-2016 at 06:17 PM. Reason: miss spelled words
sroby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 08:57 PM   #2
Lantana frs

Drives: 13 frs red
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have oft and am happy with it but ill admit that if I were in driving distance of drift office I would have ecutek. I suggest reading wayno and steve99 posts. They know their shit and are very helpful. There are several tutorials on this site to help u with oft tuning.
Lantana frs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 09:47 PM   #3
sroby

Lantana, thx partner, I even printed the thing out from Steve. She is running fine. I just want to have a dyno done with my mods that I have done. I'm running the Grimmspeed intake, Gruppe uel, Oft stage 2, Q300 cat bac and overpipe, with the Berk catted front pipe.

Coming from motorcycles, I basically had this same set up from my 2002 vrf vtec. The difference was I was running the power commander tuner which in theory is similar to the oft. Once I get on the dyno if there are any tweaks to be done, it would be neat to have somebody there on the roller to open up the tuner and make the adjustments. It might be spot on or even close enough not to touch. Its just that (ocd) in me from working on and around Air Force aircraft nearly my whole life coming out. (ha)

If I were in Cali. or Pa. it just appears from reading here on the forum they are accessible. I am sure here in the Atl area somebody has experience. Just checking. Thanks again partner good to hear from you. I am still in a constant learning curve and value your input that I have gained from you in the past. Thanks so much Steve
Old 12-31-2016, 11:17 PM   #4
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sroby View Post
Are their any members in the Atlanta area who can help me with understanding the OFT and tweaking for possible knock. I am more of a hands on and note taker. I am willing to pay for your time, or know of a tuner in our area whose knowledge of the OFT tuning.

I checked with one tuner who is in the Marietta, Ga area. It seems their employees want to talk down the Oft and talk up the Ecutune. I would like to have it dyno'd and tweaked for what the dyno results show. They want to sale you the ecutune because they say its easier to tune. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Steve

Every tuner likes to use the system they are familiar with.

Most tuners like to lock the ecu so you cannot read or alter thier tune, so many wont tune with opensource systems like oft, tactrix ect.

Ecutek has some advantages with FI cars and theirs some cool features but tuning on na cars is fine with opensource tools like oft

OFT tunes are pretty good if you stick to the mods they were designed for.

As you have changed intake (although the grimspeed is very close to stock maf scaling wise) i would check your fueling make sure your ltft are low and commanded afr and measured afr are close under wot.

once you have that sorted check for knock and smooth the ignition timing in that area, then your prettly well good, unless you wantvto add any utility tweaks like fan temps.

with standard type mods on an NA car their will be little to be gained getting a custom dyno tune.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 08:28 AM   #5
sroby

Steve, thx sir I printed this page off. I am going to study it and the process of doing it on the oft. I will report back my results to you in the upcoming weeks if you don't mind. Again thanks so much and Happy New Year to you and your family. Thanks Steve
Old 01-01-2017, 11:08 AM   #6
Lantana frs

Drives: 13 frs red
I come from bikes also. I believe the power commander is a piggyback signal modifier. With your car you will be using the oft to modify the actual tune so be careful. Lol. I still haven't messed with my ots tune yet.
Lantana frs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 11:50 AM   #7
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,767 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantana frs View Post
I still haven't messed with my ots tune yet.
Me too, still figuiring out how to edit launch control to 3000rpm and jdl uel "patch" tune
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Teseo For This Useful Post:
Lantana frs (01-01-2017)
Old 01-01-2017, 05:09 PM   #8
sroby

Teseo, I hear ya partner, yea she is running perfect right now and don't want to go screwing around with what I am not to familiar with. I just want to put it on the dyno to see what its putting on the rollers. If they saw some little tweak just wanted to be able to make the slight adjustment.

The only thing weird I have noticed before I went to the Gruppe Header and stage 2 was I could have sworn at around 2 to 3000 rpm while accelerating It sounded like to me it was knocking ever so slightly. When I put on the modded catless head pipe and stage 2 flash I havnt heard it anymore. My problem is I am still trying to get use to the boxer motor and all the cool different noises. I don't know if the noise I thought I was hearing might have been knock or the variable cam shaft controllers, or the direct injectors actuating.

I know when I went with the Grimmspeed intake, it stated how important to make sure the maf sensor was properly positioned as this would impact the afr and cause it to run to lean. Thanks for the input my friend. Thanks Steve
The Following User Says Thank You to sroby For This Useful Post:
Teseo (01-01-2017)
Old 01-01-2017, 06:16 PM   #9
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
The problem with OFT is that most dynos charge for time and it's not a time efficient system.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 08:27 PM   #10
sroby

Kodename47, Understood. I'm still using my motorcycle tuning Dyno time as a guide, I'm learning its a bit more complex with cars. As a side bar I liked the cat less stock header that I made from your design so well I went with a Gruppe header after a month. I currently have that one up for sale. I was just hopping somewhere here in the Atlanta, area I could come across somebody using the oft that knows how to read the values and show me how to tweak it.

I can read the values and understand their meanings, I am just not that savvy with the computer in so much as how to read the tunes, roms and make the adjustments. Anyway I will get something figured out. Again love reading your posts. I spent one night at Mildenhall back in 1995. My unit had an F-15 c model that we had to fly in and do an engine change on. I spent a lot of time at Ramstein AFB in Germany. I plan on taking my wife in the near future to visit the U.K. it seems like a cool place to visit or live. Thanks Steve
Old 01-01-2017, 09:56 PM   #11
Kodename47

Your best bet is to go armed with a few pre-loaded ROMs with certain changes and then dyno those to give you a good starting point, it's once you start having to edit and upload to the tablet and then flash to the car that things start taking time.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Old 01-02-2017, 12:35 AM   #12
Nah

Drives: 2013 Scion Frs 6mt
First read the stickies and what not

1) Scale your MAF by using the YIKES worksheet
2) optimize VE by adjusting your vvt
3) add timing where needed

N/A tune done.
Nah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 05:57 AM   #13
Kodename47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nah View Post
1) Scale your MAF by using the YIKES worksheet.
I'm surprised anyone still uses that. Vgi's tool keeps being updated and is very user friendly. You no longer even have to remove the log headers.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Old 01-02-2017, 07:34 AM   #14
Nah

Drives: 2013 Scion Frs 6mt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
I'm surprised anyone still uses that. Vgi's tool keeps being updated and is very user friendly. You no longer even have to remove the log headers.
Maybe it's just the way I drive but 1-hour of data logging using yikes to get everything correct is one and done vs the vgi tool. I don't know why... however
someone did tell me that there's to many transients with the vgi tool.
Nah is offline   Reply With Quote