follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 03-13-2018, 11:22 AM   #15
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJasonKlein View Post
I think the best thing for me at this point is to take you up on the offer and come to a Chicago Region event, introduce myself, watch how things are run, and ask a lot of questions.

Whatever you end up doing, get a ride along with someone who looks like they know what they're doing. I wouldn't have gotten hooked if I didn't ride along with someone who blew my little rookie mind on my first day, it absolutely made me want to come back and get better.

Quote:
Thanks for the good information! When you say that a chat with the competitors locally will suffice, do you mean that even if some of my parts aren’t legal for SM that talking with them may get them to overlook it because I’m not interested in points and probably won’t be competitive anyway? That’s the way I read it, but I just want to make sure I got it right.
Absolutely, I've seen guys self class in STX with superchargers, but they were so far off the fast times nobody bothered them.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
RJasonKlein (03-13-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 12:06 AM   #16
RJasonKlein

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Whatever you end up doing, get a ride along with someone who looks like they know what they're doing. I wouldn't have gotten hooked if I didn't ride along with someone who blew my little rookie mind on my first day, it absolutely made me want to come back and get better.
That’s a great suggestion and I’ll definitely try to find someone to let me ride shotgun - I know I’d love it. Two related questions, though: Won’t my weight hinder their run? If so, why would they let me ride with them?

On a side note, your user name makes me think you play a vintage Stratocaster. If so, keep on rocking - I have a Fender Custom Shop ‘62 Jazzmaster in Sonic Blue, but it would be cooler if it was actually a ‘62!
RJasonKlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:33 AM   #17
14stu

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
That’s a great suggestion and I’ll definitely try to find someone to let me ride shotgun - I know I’d love it. Two related questions, though: Won’t my weight hinder their run? If so, why would they let me ride with them?

On a side note, your user name makes me think you play a vintage Stratocaster. If so, keep on rocking - I have a Fender Custom Shop ‘62 Jazzmaster in Sonic Blue, but it would be cooler if it was actually a ‘62!
Most people love spreading some knowledge and impressing the new guys, and sometimes, a passenger balances the car. Generally, most people will take passengers at least for the first half of their runs (often even more).

In my 9 years and hundreds of autox events, I've only been turned down for a ride once and I've only declined a passenger once (maybe twice, but I helped the person get a ride in the next heat).

You'll be surprised how helpful everyone is willing to be, especially if you have a good attitude (you sound like you've got that part down).
14stu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 14stu For This Useful Post:
RJasonKlein (03-16-2018), strat61caster (03-15-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 01:46 AM   #18
Jamestl

Drives: None
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Yeah, they do. I had the Whiteline bushings first, but got the Perrin steering rack lockdowns later thinking I could further eliminate play - if I had to do it over again, I would have skipped the bushings because the Perrin pieces make them unnecessary.
Got it. Did you find that the lockdown is not effective thank the bushing? I decided on the lockdown simply b/c it was so easy to install!
Jamestl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jamestl For This Useful Post:
RJasonKlein (03-16-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 11:20 AM   #19
strat61caster
-

Quote:

Yes
Because even though a lot of people go through a 'srs bsns' phase with autocross (myself included) most people are out there to have fun, it's not likely that the first or second run will be fastest for most people so having a passenger is not highly likely to ruin their day. Add in the idea that taking someone for a ride is likely to be a highlight of their day and many are willing to sacrifice a few tenths of a second.

The 61 is unrelated to my instrument collection unfortunately, I didn't think I'd spend as much time on this forum as I did so I picked a throwaway name from when I was a kid.
RJasonKlein (03-15-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 11:38 AM   #20
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
I also compete in Chicago Region events. I honestly would suggest you just go ahead and register. Don't worry about starting off "spectating" until you figure out what to do. This is a very friendly sport for new drivers, and you'll have a lot more fun actually participating! I would just recommend registering as SM, and then talking with people day-of. They can change your class if necessary; it isn't a big deal.

Look forward to seeing you out there! I'll be the guy running two-season old tires, drifting around the whole course, lol.

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stang70Fastback For This Useful Post:
RJasonKlein (03-16-2018), Shark_Bait88 (03-15-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 05:17 PM   #21
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
I also compete in Chicago Region events. I honestly would suggest you just go ahead and register. Don't worry about starting off "spectating" until you figure out what to do. This is a very friendly sport for new drivers, and you'll have a lot more fun actually participating! I would just recommend registering as SM, and then talking with people day-of. They can change your class if necessary; it isn't a big deal.

Look forward to seeing you out there! I'll be the guy running two-season old tires, drifting around the whole course, lol.
You'll be sent packing. You know better than to drift the course.

My tires will be rather muddy...
Old 03-16-2018, 12:07 AM   #22
RJasonKlein

Quote:

I think that’s exactly what I should do, and all of you guys on this forum have made me a lot more comfortable just jumping in an giving it a try. I hope to catch up with you guys at the track - be on the lookout for the slow guy!
Old 03-16-2018, 12:10 AM   #23
RJasonKlein

Quote:

I think that’s exactly what I should do, and all of you guys on this forum have made me a lot more comfortable just jumping in an giving it a try. I hope to catch up with you guys at the track - be on the lookout for the slow guy!

Oh, by the way, @Stang70Fastback you have a cool blog with great photography - I’ve checked it out several times in the past!
The Following User Says Thank You to RJasonKlein For This Useful Post:
Stang70Fastback (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 11:00 AM   #24
TrqlessWonder

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
If you're feeling adventurous/trusting about seeing potential... You could also offer to have an instructor drive your car for a run. Consumes one of your runs as a non-counted run (or can, depends on local rules), but it's one of the ways it set the hook in me. Particularly when you watch a stranger (in my case, a 250+lb guy) beat you by multiple seconds with your own stick, after you figure there's nothing left out there.

The instructors also like seeing the student's eyes light up a little when things start to click for them about what just happened and why it was different.
#24 CS/CSR
TrqlessWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrqlessWonder For This Useful Post:
RJasonKlein (03-16-2018), strat61caster (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 11:41 AM   #25
strat61caster
-

^ +1
Maybe not on the first day, but at some point absolutely hand the keys over to an expert, you'll learn a ton. Although the sooner you do it the sooner you'll have a few lightbulbs click on.
RJasonKlein (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 12:07 PM   #26
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Oooo! PICK ME! PICK ME!!! *waves hand furiously*

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stang70Fastback For This Useful Post:
RJasonKlein (03-22-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 12:52 PM   #27
sirbobbinhood

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
+1 for letting a pro drive. It was required for the regional autocross school I went to and it's crazy how fast your car can go when someone who has some experience gets behind the wheel.
I still like letting other guys take it out it's a great way to learn what the limits of the car are and to see what different driving styles in your same car feel like.
sirbobbinhood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sirbobbinhood For This Useful Post:
RJasonKlein (03-16-2018), strat61caster (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 01:13 PM   #28
Imp
Bring out your dead

Drives: '14 BRZ (SSC), '00 S2000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbobbinhood View Post
+1 for letting a pro drive. It was required for the regional autocross school I went to and it's crazy how fast your car can go when someone who has some experience gets behind the wheel.
I still like letting other guys take it out it's a great way to learn what the limits of the car are and to see what different driving styles in your same car feel like.
And usually no where near the limits of the car (unless they have something similar and know). Ive usually done 75-80%, and at the end of the run "Wait, that was dialed back?" Yeah.

--kC
RJasonKlein (03-22-2018), strat61caster (03-16-2018)