follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 12-10-2015, 03:59 AM   #85
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechEGR View Post
This is solved! Have them do the TSB. We have had multiple confirm the tsb solves all these issues. Check out this post:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96615
I can confirm as well, I asked them to please flash that TCM logic and brought in a copy of it and they said they would try and it was successful.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 12:50 AM   #86
about94ninjas

Drives: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited 6AT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechEGR View Post
This is solved! Have them do the TSB. We have had multiple confirm the tsb solves all these issues. Check out this post:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96615
Will Subaru have the TSB also or will I have to take it to a Scion dealership?
about94ninjas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 08:57 AM   #87
MechEGR

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by about94ninjas View Post
Will Subaru have the TSB also or will I have to take it to a Scion dealership?
It is unconfirmed if Suburu has a similar TSB for this issue. Taking it to a Scion dealer would not work. Your best bet is to bring in the Scion TSB to your Suburu dealer and have them look if there is a Suburu version. If not, then start a case with Suburu and hopefully they'll have a fix for it soon. Good luck!
MechEGR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MechEGR For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (02-03-2016)
Old 12-19-2015, 11:23 PM   #88
pantdino

Drives: Firestorm 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpteronO3 View Post

I keep getting these rough shift and all the dealer keeps saying is normal operation of the vehicle. I've been 4 times with no luck.

I've had a tech sit with me while I replicated the problem and he even recommended to change the transmission. But because no codes show up, there is nothing Toyota can replace. This is what the Sevice Manager told me. Honestly, theyy they dont even want to loan me a vehicle anymore because this is "normal" for the vehicle. Ive talked to corporate customer service and they are worthless waste of time.

From your video I get the impression the engine was revving but there was little acceleration. This would imply the tranny was slipping and sounds like a mechanical issue. If it downshifts and that's why the engine revs you should feel strong acceleration. The engine then progressively gains revs until it gets near the redline then it shifts and the strong accel continues in the next gear.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:54 PM   #89
about94ninjas

Drives: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited 6AT
So I think I pinpointed the problem. It only seems to happen while in auto mode with sport off. If I'm cruising at say 55, and floor it to get in front of someone, the transmission will hesitate for a second, shift down a couple gears, and then the rough shifting will start. I haven't been able to reproduce it constantly, but doing that seems to reproduce it the most. The Subaru Rep never followed up with me, and the dealership won't take me seriously, so I will try another dealership.
about94ninjas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:47 AM   #90
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by about94ninjas View Post
So I think I pinpointed the problem. It only seems to happen while in auto mode with sport off. If I'm cruising at say 55, and floor it to get in front of someone, the transmission will hesitate for a second, shift down a couple gears, and then the rough shifting will start. I haven't been able to reproduce it constantly, but doing that seems to reproduce it the most. The Subaru Rep never followed up with me, and the dealership won't take me seriously, so I will try another dealership.

It's most likely the same exact issue as ours because it's the exact same revised 2015 TCM logic that needs to be updated as per the TSB. Try another dealership otherwise, you might need to make a friend with a tech at a toyota dealership and get them to flash it.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
Old 02-03-2016, 01:07 AM   #91
lizbrayan

Drives: '15 Scion Frs Steel
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Im not sure if this is similar but after id be driving for a good amount of time and go into manual mode and down shift that car violently jerks back imstead of keeping the rpms up they just crash down. Once i turn the car off and turn it back on and try to downshift it works good as new.
lizbrayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:46 AM   #92
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizbrayan View Post
Im not sure if this is similar but after id be driving for a good amount of time and go into manual mode and down shift that car violently jerks back imstead of keeping the rpms up they just crash down. Once i turn the car off and turn it back on and try to downshift it works good as new.
Very similar to one of the few symptoms I had.

My suggestion, print the TSB, go to dealership, only tell them you have idle fluctuation, they will reflash, profit.

Btw, I don't think they actually looked to see if my car had idle fluctuation, they simply reflashed it with no questions asked.

Your mileage may vary.
The Twins make me smile
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to soulreapersteve For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (02-06-2016), MechEGR (02-03-2016), TofuJoe (05-21-2017)
Old 02-03-2016, 01:53 PM   #93
MechEGR

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulreapersteve View Post

My suggestion, print the TSB, go to dealership, only tell them you have idle fluctuation, they will reflash, profit.

Btw, I don't think they actually looked to see if my car had idle fluctuation, they simply reflashed it with no questions asked.

Your mileage may vary.
THIS^ They won't test it for idle fluctuation and if you say you have the problem, they are required to fix it via the TSB. So far, Toyota has not recognized that the hard shifting is a problem or that it gets fixed by this TSB. To a dealer, the issues aren't connected.
MechEGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:47 PM   #94
lizbrayan

Drives: '15 Scion Frs Steel
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulreapersteve View Post

Your mileage may vary.
See the funny thing is i went to a dealership by me and i told them i need a flash update and they went and had me waiting for an hour only to come back and tell me they cant connect to the server to install the ecu update which had me a little pissed at the end if the day.
lizbrayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 11:03 PM   #95
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizbrayan View Post
See the funny thing is i went to a dealership by me and i told them i need a flash update and they went and had me waiting for an hour only to come back and tell me they cant connect to the server to install the ecu update which had me a little pissed at the end if the day.
Come back another day till the issue is fixed honestly, make sure you're adamant about it being done on record because we aren't very sure what the long term ramifications of the transmission doing this are.
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (02-07-2016)
Old 05-21-2017, 11:54 AM   #96
TofuJoe
Ohne Titel

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP ISM
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergen23 View Post
I've been trying to find out what makes it happen. Sometimes it starts when my tpms light comes on.
I have a 2013 AT and have never had any shifting problems. I put a set of different wheels on the car a few days ago for doing track days. I didn't move my TPMS sensors over from my daily wheels. Went for a canyon run this morning, TPMS light went on, as expected.

I experienced a short clunk when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd in manual mode, about 80% of the time.

Seems so weird that the TPMS would have anything to do with this issue?

I wonder if the traction control settings have any effect on this issue. Will need to do some experimenting.
TofuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
automatic, hard, issues, shifting, transmission