follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 08-25-2015, 03:40 PM   #2101
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
Got mine today and just finished installing it. Personally I thought the install was a bit of pain - took me and a friend about an hour... but I've never installed a new head unit on a car before so no idea how it compares to others really.

Getting the brackets from the OEM unit in the right location on the new unit took a lot of trial and error, and eventually the location we settled for meant we could only fit 1 of the 3 original bolts back on to hold it in place. Also needed a bit of wiggling and brute force to get the whole thing to fit back in to the hole that the OEM unit came out of to the point where we could fit the screws back in and actually fit the carbon trim/fascia thing back on over the top.

Oh and there seemed to be a lot of wires left over that went in to the OEM unit that don't fit anywhere in the back of this one, so we just left them unplugged and everything seems to be working fine... apart from the USB port that sits at the bottom of the dash. I did a quick search and it seems like I need to get a converter (mentioned here) to sort that out, but its kind of annoying as this unit was sold as a complete plug and play kit where I wouldn't need to buy any extra adapters or converters.

One other disappointment is that the volume knob is now even harder to accurately turn than the OEM gt86 one was (which was already a nightmare on bumpy roads due to how small and smooth it was). Whilst the new one does have "notches" so that its easier to accurately turn, its still quite small and I find its harder to grab now because the carbon trim around the head unit gets in the way on one side. This might not be an issue for people in LHD cars as I noticed the knob on the side closest to the driver doesn't suffer with this problem as much and presumably in LHD that would be the volume knob.

Anyway, complaints out of the way, using the actual unit itself seems great. Quick to start up and nice and intuitive to use. Pairing my phone with it to play music through bluetooth was quick and easy, and so far seems to work well and sound slightly better than it did before. Need to download google maps and some other apps before I can fully comment on how well it works in other aspects but so far so good
I had to grind off the nubs on my brackets to get them to fit right. But when I did everything went together just like factory.

Be careful which USB adapter you get, I forget the part numbers, but there's two that have been linked here. One is correct, the other isn't.

Play with the advanced sound settings. Turn off most of it, but using the parametric EQ to cut out the 27Hz will help your speakers last longer and will cut down on some rattles. The stock speakers can't audibly create those frequencies anyway, so you're not losing anything. Then use the next adjuster (increase it slightly) to flatten out the response.

Last edited by Calum; 08-25-2015 at 04:19 PM.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:47 PM   #2102
SilverlightPony

Drives: '13 Subaru BRZ, '06 Toyota 4Runner
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
I had to grind off the nubs on my brackets to get them to fit right. But when I did everything went together just like factory.
Yeah, if you had to fight with the trim panel to get it to fit, you're probably using the wrong mounting holes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
Be careful which USB adapter you get, I forget the part numbers, but there's two that have been linked here. One is correct, the other isn't.
I believe the one linked in this post is correct (top of page 91 if you're using the default posts-per-page setting).
SilverlightPony is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SilverlightPony For This Useful Post:
Calum (08-25-2015)
Old 08-25-2015, 04:34 PM   #2103
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverlightPony View Post
Yeah, if you had to fight with the trim panel to get it to fit, you're probably using the wrong mounting holes.

I believe the one linked in this post is correct (top of page 91 if you're using the default posts-per-page setting).

Nope, that's the wrong one.

That one has an end that looks like it could accept a normal usb connection if the shielding was stripped away. We need the one that look like it could accept a D type usb connector, similar to a printer.

Here's a link [ame="http://www.amazon.com/PAC-USB-TY1-OEM-Retention-Cable/dp/B00F0YJ49O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1440534566&sr=8-2&keywords=Metra+AX-TOYUSB"]Amazon.com: PAC USB-TY1 OEM USB Retention Cable: Computers & Accessories[/ame]
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calum For This Useful Post:
SilverlightPony (08-25-2015)
Old 08-26-2015, 03:46 AM   #2104
tonypalomo

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks SilverlightPony! Gonna do my install sometime this week or by Friday definitely. Kinda nervous because my 86 came with an aftermarket radio and a back up camera. Hopefully its not too much of a pain to get that wiring harness out and swap with this one. Mainly concerned about what the back up camera wire looks like lol. I will update when i get to the install go_a_way1
tonypalomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:52 AM   #2105
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonypalomo View Post
Thanks SilverlightPony! Gonna do my install sometime this week or by Friday definitely. Kinda nervous because my 86 came with an aftermarket radio and a back up camera. Hopefully its not too much of a pain to get that wiring harness out and swap with this one. Mainly concerned about what the back up camera wire looks like lol. I will update when i get to the install go_a_way1
Thanks!! It seems I will be getting mine tommorow!!! Anyone know whats new with the "CT" one other then software??
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 01:36 PM   #2106
Aqrab

Drives: BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_a_way1 View Post
Thanks!! It seems I will be getting mine tommorow!!! Anyone know whats new with the "CT" one other then software??
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93790
Aqrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 01:46 PM   #2107
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Thanks! Man I can not wait for it to get here!!
Old 08-26-2015, 04:45 PM   #2108
tonypalomo

Looks like the newer model is a bit different than the previous version. New version comes with more wires it seems and a different style back to the HU
Old 08-27-2015, 01:23 PM   #2109
tonypalomo

Okay so i got my wiring all complete but it is not completely installed yet. I have a few questions before i finish up the install.
1) How exactly do you install the usb and aux port adapters? More specifically, where do you plug the usb and the aux ends of the adapters in? I don't see any slots on the radio for them.
2) Is there a way to get song information when playing via bluetooth? For example, i connected my phone just to see if it would work, and the music plays, but there's no title info, no album art, or anything. it just says BT music.
Sorry if these questions seem like no brainers! Thanks in advance

Last edited by tonypalomo; 08-27-2015 at 01:38 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:37 PM   #2110
SilverlightPony

Quote:
Okay so i got my wiring all complete but it is not completely installed yet. I have a few questions before i finish up the install.
1) How exactly do you install the usb and aux port adapters? More specifically, where do you plug the usb and the aux ends of the adapters in? I don't see any slots on the radio for them.
The male USB plug end of the USB adapter should be plugged into one of the USB ports on the headunit (unless they changed it from the "4" to the "CT", there should be two female USB ports, I think at the end of a short cable, one of which already has a wi-fi dongle in it). The other end connects to the HU end of the original cable attached rear of the factory USB port.

Quote:
2) Does the gps antenna need to be routed somewhere where it can access the sky? i see that it is magnetized but I don't know where to stick it.
I just wedged mine between a cable bundle and the underside of the center air conditioning vents. It works fine. You just need to avoid having large amounts of metal between it and the sky.

Quote:
3) Is there a way to get song information when playing via bluetooth? For example, i connected my phone just to see if it would work, and the music plays, but there's no title info, no album art, or anything. it just says BT music.
Not to my knowledge. In most cases, streaming music from a phone to a bluetooth speaker (which is what the HU is acting as in this case) is simply a digital audio stream without any track info. My recommendation is to copy all your downloaded/ripped music to the HU's memory card and use either Rocket Player or PowerAmp to play it directly, or enable hotspot mode on your phone and have the HU play Pandora or iHeart Radio or Slacker or whatever itself.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SilverlightPony For This Useful Post:
CxG (06-24-2016), tonypalomo (08-27-2015)
Old 08-27-2015, 01:49 PM   #2111
tonypalomo

@SilverlightPony yea they changed the ports on the back of the new "ct" version. there are no usb ports. Which i guess means the adapters i purchased are usless
Old 08-27-2015, 01:51 PM   #2112
SilverlightPony

In that case, I'd contact Ca-Fi/Innotrends and ask them. Leaving no usable USB ports on it seems counterintuitive, but... *shrug*
Old 08-27-2015, 01:54 PM   #2113
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Quote:
@SilverlightPony yea they changed the ports on the back of the new "ct" version. there are no usb ports. Which i guess means the adapters i purchased are usless
WHAT!!!?! No usb ports?? OMG I am so sad now! I just ordered a OBD2 to USB cable for torque as the bluetooth is not supported yet
Old 08-27-2015, 02:23 PM   #2114
tonypalomo

this is the back of the new CT HU
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to tonypalomo For This Useful Post:
SilverlightPony (08-27-2015)