follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote! 367 74.59%
I don't know, but its time for a new name. 125 25.41%
Voters: 492. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 07:39 AM   #3291
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,317 Times in 4,120 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_L View Post
those Grannys got some balls,
If that is the case then it is spelt t, r, a, n, n, i, e, s.

Which is somewhat coincidental given we were discussing gearboxes a few posts ago.

The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (07-29-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 08:55 AM   #3292
Spacemane969

Drives: 2013 ARGENTO A/T
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh_supra26 View Post
Those wheels look decent at least in color. I really wish Toyota and Honda would stop with these split black/silver spoke wheels.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spacemane969 For This Useful Post:
carsebuco (07-29-2018), funwheeldrive (07-29-2018), krayzie (07-29-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 11:56 AM   #3293
rvoll

Drives: 2018 BRZ Limited, 2017 Sportage
So if you take an objective view of this manual vs. automatic thing, you get the following:

1. Modern automatics have more gears and shift faster.
2. Modern automatics can be manually controlled through paddle shifters.
3. You can get faster track times with modern automatics.
4. Modern automatics (not in the 86) have manual features such as launch mode.
5. Manuals are much better at giving you a visceral experience because you can make shifting mistakes and thus it is more up to the skill of the driver, i.e., it is more of a challenge.
6. Manuals are much more fun on road trips.
7. Automatics are much better in traffic.
8. Modern automatics can get better gas mileage.

We don't have a modern automatic in our cars, which tilts the decision towards getting a manual and why it should probably be the transmission of choice for our car. Put in a dual clutch 8-10 speed unit and that calculus would change. For corporate profitability reasons in a low volume car, I don't see that happening until either the 86 is discontinued or a next generation is introduced.

In full disclosure, I have an auto and drive mostly around town with monthly rides in the countryside. The paddle shifters do work well and give me control, but it is not as much fun as a manual would be. Ride quality is important when my wife is in the car, and the auto is much more comfortable than the manual with PP both in terms of ride smoothness and smoothness of shifts.

I don't track my cars anymore, but at the track I'd want the one that gives me the best lap times and am much less concerned about "fun". Currently, I think. for this car, without a dual clutch, that's a toss up. However, if the car had a modern auto, I would choose the auto for the track.
The Following User Says Thank You to rvoll For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (07-29-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 12:48 PM   #3294
firekat

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ tS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Having recently come from a "modern" car, with a modern automatic I can tell you that yes, there are benefits and shortcomings to both.

The Mini I had was equipped with a transmission that had 3 fully different modes. It had paddle shifters that were just really cool, and I enjoyed a lot. The predictive modes were both a convenience and a PITA.

The thing is that with automatics there is a disconnect from the driving experience. It is the same in the aviation world with Fly By Wire systems.

I prefer the MT and direct flight controls any time. These systems just require more of a skill set than it takes to operate automation.

Sometimes old school is the best school, in the very least for those that have the skills, a bit more fun.
Old 07-29-2018, 12:58 PM   #3295
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemane969 View Post
Those wheels look decent at least in color. I really wish Toyota and Honda would stop with these split black/silver spoke wheels.
A lot of car makers have been doing these ugly dual tone wheels for many years now it's real annoying. At least these ones don't look too bad.
Old 07-29-2018, 02:59 PM   #3296
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvoll View Post
So if you take an objective view of this manual vs. automatic thing, you get the following:

1. Modern automatics have more gears and shift faster.
2. Modern automatics can be manually controlled through paddle shifters.
3. You can get faster track times with modern automatics.
4. Modern automatics (not in the 86) have manual features such as launch mode.
5. Manuals are much better at giving you a visceral experience because you can make shifting mistakes and thus it is more up to the skill of the driver, i.e., it is more of a challenge.
6. Manuals are much more fun on road trips.
7. Automatics are much better in traffic.
8. Modern automatics can get better gas mileage.

We don't have a modern automatic in our cars, which tilts the decision towards getting a manual and why it should probably be the transmission of choice for our car. Put in a dual clutch 8-10 speed unit and that calculus would change. For corporate profitability reasons in a low volume car, I don't see that happening until either the 86 is discontinued or a next generation is introduced.

In full disclosure, I have an auto and drive mostly around town with monthly rides in the countryside. The paddle shifters do work well and give me control, but it is not as much fun as a manual would be. Ride quality is important when my wife is in the car, and the auto is much more comfortable than the manual with PP both in terms of ride smoothness and smoothness of shifts.

I don't track my cars anymore, but at the track I'd want the one that gives me the best lap times and am much less concerned about "fun". Currently, I think. for this car, without a dual clutch, that's a toss up. However, if the car had a modern auto, I would choose the auto for the track.
You also forgot that manuals are lighter (important on this car with the weight up front)
Easier to repair (usually only need a new clutch,TOB,Flywheel)
Less complicated, cheaper to repair
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperTom For This Useful Post:
HKz (07-29-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 03:46 PM   #3297
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Our cars were supposed to be back to the basics, but as always they had to target different kind of markets and people needs.
Old 07-29-2018, 04:29 PM   #3298
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
PS. Honda seems to understand... Civic SI and Type R, only available with a 6 speed.
Yeah same with the NSX....oh wait.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to funwheeldrive For This Useful Post:
krayzie (07-29-2018), rvoll (07-30-2018), spike021 (07-30-2018), Spuds (07-29-2018), Ultramaroon (07-29-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 05:45 PM   #3299
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,802 Times in 3,297 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
Is the NSX a profitable car? If it is then it probably wouldn’t be if they did a manual in there too. Track queens ehh.

Porsche GT3 touring edition because of the popularity of the 911R. Apparently being the fastest isn’t the only thing that matters.
Captain Snooze (07-29-2018), gymratter (07-30-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 05:53 PM   #3300
R_E_L
He's got this.

Drives: 50th Anni BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
Technically they're available on the 3 series and the 2 series, but not on the 6 cylinders since the F30 facelift.

Point is, the ZF 8HP is one of the only options for a RWD auto transmission these days, It's very common. even Dodge uses it.
Maybe I am misunderstanding you but, both the 340i and the m240i (same B58 engine) are available with a manual option.
Old 07-29-2018, 06:03 PM   #3301
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post

cars for the 1%ers aren't manual because nearly all of them are old men who keep their toys in their garage..a $40-60 K Supra shouldn't be following this trend especially when it ain't gonna have anywhere near the power of a GTR or NSX. If they are raving about how the chassis is so stiff and how low the CoG is that should tell you what their focus was. Had the Supra followed the GTR & NSX into the 6 figure game, then it would have been a different story and auto only would be much more accepted..

Last edited by HKz; 07-30-2018 at 01:24 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HKz For This Useful Post:
gymratter (07-30-2018), Irace86.2.0 (07-29-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 06:42 PM   #3302
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
cars for the 1%ers are manual because nearly all of them are old men who keep their toys in their garage..
Come to the big cities and you will noticed these days the 1% who drive these new expensive sports / supercars are mostly wealthy Chinese kids that can't even drive properly they can't be bothered rowing their own gears (like what's that?).

Cars are just going thru this "digital" phase (think quartz watches and CD players of the past), I'm sure the manual transmission will eventually make a come back as a luxury commodity (they pull this shit everytime something gets obsolete) in a big way like mechanical watches and turntables of today.

The A90 being supposedly the Toyota sports flagship means they have something to prove against the likes of the R35 GTR and such, and needs to chase after numbers being late to the game. The GTR wasn't 6 figures when it first came out. The Toyota brand has to communicate "value" as they have Lexus when it comes to high price.

Last edited by krayzie; 07-29-2018 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-29-2018, 06:49 PM   #3303
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTom View Post
You also forgot that manuals are lighter (important on this car with the weight up front)
The head engineering dude of the Alpine A110, David Twohig, says that the A110 is lighter with an auto than with manual (which is not being made *sigh*). The manual gearbox is lighter than the auto gearbox but when you also add in the auxiliaries (clutch pedal, master cylinder, the cowling around the stick inside the car etc) the auto car is lighter than the corresponding manual car. That is, the corresponding car if they made it.

This is not testable and the claim was made by a Alpine/Renault spokesman but still, that is/was the claim being made.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
rvoll (07-30-2018), Ultramaroon (07-29-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 07:05 PM   #3304
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
these new exotic supercars
I think when one enters the world of superduper cars autos are the only viable option. (Oh no! Captain Snooze has sold out!!) The performance of such cars (and performance is a key selling point even if the car never gets driven above 30 km/h) is significantly hampered by changing gears with a stick. It also allows the software to take more proactive hand in keeping the car on the road.

Last edited by Captain Snooze; 07-29-2018 at 11:26 PM. Reason: grammar correction

Closed Thread

Tags
bmwforsuckers, boring-zzzzzzzzzzzzz, brz, celica supra confirmed, frs, ft-1, hatch-y +1, morethanucanaffordpal, nomanualnogo, supra, toyota, twins, watstheretailon1ofthose