follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

View Poll Results: Was this helpful?
Yes 4 28.57%
No 10 71.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 10-15-2014, 11:42 PM   #1
10series_frs

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series Edition
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Question Perrin exhaust and intake

I have a 2013 frs and I'm looking into getting the Perrin 2.5" cat back exhaust, Perrin over pipe ,the Perrin air intake with the Perrin inlet tube. If I do it I'm planing on getting an open source tune as well at the local shop, FTW Tuning.
I'm curious what people's opinions are on the whole setup? Has anyway purchased it?
10series_frs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:01 AM   #2
phrosty

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
If you want it to sound mean, intake/catback/overpipe will do that but not give noticeable speed.

If you only want speed, skip the parts and get the tune.
2013 Whiteout 6AT FR-S | Perrin Inlet Tube + 2.75" CAI | OpenFlash Header | P&L Catback | 4.88 Final Drive | Dialed in OFT 2.0x Stage 2 E85 | 18x8 Enkei Raijin + 225/40 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | 17x7 Stock + 215/45 Michelin X-Ice Xi-2
phrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to phrosty For This Useful Post:
JohnJuan (10-16-2014)
Old 10-16-2014, 01:25 AM   #3
JohnJuan

Drives: 2013 FR-S, Hot Lava; 2012 Z1000 CBO
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
What are your goals? Sound? Power?
JohnJuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 01:43 AM   #4
Zaneman

Drives: 2013 BRZ limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I have them and enjoy it. I think this car needs a header more than anything.
Zaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zaneman For This Useful Post:
PERRIN_Chris (10-16-2014)
Old 10-16-2014, 02:35 AM   #5
10series_frs

Garage
I'm looking for a little of everything. I want a mean sound, I'm looking for the classic deep Subaru sound. Not an obnoxious fart can sound. I want power for sure too. Doesn't have to be a ton but a decent amount for the money.
The 2 exhausts I'm looking at right now are the 2.5" Perrin cat back and the invidia n1 2.5" cat back. Give me your opinions on the 2.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:45 AM   #6
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Garage
So think about it long term.

If your going FI then skip this crap all together.

If not then header + tune and skip all this crap. A good UEL header will make your car sound like a Subaru and coupled with a tune will give it good power. If you go OFH + OFT you can get out for a really good price.

After header + tune decide if you want to keep going with op/front pipe.
tennisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:20 PM   #7
RobertPaulson
Hisnamewasrobertpaulson

Drives: 2017 Golf R
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10series_frs View Post
I'm looking for a little of everything. I want a mean sound, I'm looking for the classic deep Subaru sound. Not an obnoxious fart can sound. I want power for sure too. Doesn't have to be a ton but a decent amount for the money.
The 2 exhausts I'm looking at right now are the 2.5" Perrin cat back and the invidia n1 2.5" cat back. Give me your opinions on the 2.
if you don't want obnoxious sound, don't get the n1, stick to the perrin or a q300. I'm told the ARK exhaust also offers a nice exhaust note that isn't too loud.

if you want classic deep subaru rumble, you'll need a Unequal length header and a turbo. if you want a more raw rumble, then you can stay NA with a UEL header.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:50 PM   #8
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,587 Times in 2,929 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I'm a fan of the Q300, so +1 on it
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 12:38 AM   #9
10series_frs

Garage
So after talking to the auto shop, they quoted me for the 2.5" Perrin cat back exhaust with a resonator, Perrin intake and inlet tube, and a open source tune with everything installed for $1500. Wondering if this is a good deal and opinions on that package??
Old 10-17-2014, 03:24 AM   #10
FR-Sizzle

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
So after talking to the auto shop, they quoted me for the 2.5" Perrin cat back exhaust with a resonator, Perrin intake and inlet tube, and a open source tune with everything installed for $1500. Wondering if this is a good deal and opinions on that package??
Why dont you just install the cat back, intake & inlet, your self then let them tune it? Save your self some money from the labor. Bolts ons are REALLY easy to install your self. Its really hard to mess something as easy as that. Even taking off the bumper isnt hard as long as you follow the steps in the DIY section. Buying/renting the tools to do it will be less than 1/4 of the cost of labor probably. And if you do it your self you will know how to take the bumper off your self in the future when you need to clean/re oil the air filter for the intake. Once you do it your self its really easy to do again in the future.

Find someone who you can borrow jacks and stands from if you dont havem and buy or rent the tool to remove the bumper. Might as well buy it since you will need to use it again to clean the filter.

Also make sure you get a quote from multiple shops in the area. Not just one. And make sure you research the shops reputation as much as possible. You dont want a shop with the reputation of fa20club for example tuning your car..

I also see your not far from @PERRIN I am sure if you buy the parts directly from them they can also tune your car and even install it for cheaper since you are buying their parts if you decide to have a shop do it too since your not more than an 2 hours away.
FR-Sizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:26 AM   #11
10series_frs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-Sizzle View Post
Why dont you just install the cat back, intake & inlet, your self then let them tune it? Save your self some money from the labor. Bolts ons are REALLY easy to install your self. Its really hard to mess something as easy as that. Even taking off the bumper isnt hard as long as you follow the steps in the DIY section. Buying/renting the tools to do it will be less than 1/4 of the cost of labor probably. And if you do it your self you will know how to take the bumper off your self in the future when you need to clean/re oil the air filter for the intake. Once you do it your self its really easy to do again in the future.

Find someone who you can borrow jacks and stands from if you dont havem and buy or rent the tool to remove the bumper. Might as well buy it since you will need to use it again to clean the filter.

Also make sure you get a quote from multiple shops in the area. Not just one. And make sure you research the shops reputation as much as possible. You dont want a shop with the reputation of fa20club for example tuning your car..

I also see your not far from @PERRIN I am sure if you buy the parts directly from them they can also tune your car and even install it for cheaper since you are buying their parts if you decide to have a shop do it too since your not more than an 2 hours away.
You have some good points, although the shop I am planning on using has a great reputation in the local area. It's FTW Tuning, have you heard of them?
They are a Perrin distributor and they are going to install everything for free if I go with Perrin products. I'm just not sure if I want to go with Perrin or what I really want.
What would you recommend?
Old 10-17-2014, 01:57 PM   #12
Zaneman

Drives: 2013 BRZ limited
Perrin does sound great.
Zaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 04:30 PM   #13
milhouse
Because Racecar

Drives: 2013 Lightning Red Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I have a 2013 frs and I'm looking into getting the Perrin 2.5" cat back exhaust, Perrin over pipe ,the Perrin air intake with the Perrin inlet tube. If I do it I'm planing on getting an open source tune as well at the local shop, FTW Tuning.
I'm curious what people's opinions are on the whole setup? Has anyway purchased it?
I have a similar setup - Perrin Front pipe, Perrin Overpipe, Perrin 3" Exhaust, Perrin Cold Air Intake, Perrin Inlet, Open Flash Tune. I'd do it all again except the Cold Air Intake. The stock intake is fine.
milhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:11 PM   #14
10series_frs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by milhouse View Post
I have a similar setup - Perrin Front pipe, Perrin Overpipe, Perrin 3" Exhaust, Perrin Cold Air Intake, Perrin Inlet, Open Flash Tune. I'd do it all again except the Cold Air Intake. The stock intake is fine.
Okay that's helpful.
I'm told Perrin no longer makes a front pipe? Only the exhaust and over pipe?
If so, what's the bennifits of the front pipe? Is it worth it? If it is, where could u get one?

Tags
exhaust, intake, perrin, tuning