follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 11-30-2014, 12:34 PM   #113
FastWhite

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited M/T
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
What I like about the SRC's is that I probably will not do lot of bushings. The steering rack is all I'm looking at. Bushings are great for racing but not necessarily for DD. Then I'll see how my swaybars play with the suspension.
Always a process

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FastWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 07:11 PM   #114
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,242 Times in 2,963 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastWhite View Post
What I like about the SRC's is that I probably will not do lot of bushings. The steering rack is all I'm looking at. Bushings are great for racing but not necessarily for DD. Then I'll see how my swaybars play with the suspension.
Always a process

I'm not sure what the SRCs have to do with your decision to keep stock bushings?

You really start to feel the soft stock bushings with higher spring rates. Metal can be a bad idea for a daily driver but poly can work well when done right (single axis). Upgraded bushings are a big deal and even more so if you have a stiff coilovers.

- Andy
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 07:17 PM   #115
FastWhite

Garage
Then I'll look into it. I already have the Grp N front control arm fwd bushing. It was for my STI. Ralli Spec tells me they are compatible with the BRZ.
Then I'll go from there.
Thanks for the heads up Andy. I was just hoping to avoid them, but I guess not. Last I had them put in, on the STI, cost was an arm and a leg. But on this car I should be able to do most of them myself.
I bought tools for a reason no.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:16 AM   #116
CSG David

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Stock bushings are capable. Leave the car as is or else you are changing too many things at once and could possibly get lost in your settings. We'll work with you on specific changes.
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:34 AM   #117
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,242 Times in 2,963 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Then I'll look into it. I already have the Grp N front control arm fwd bushing. It was for my STI. Ralli Spec tells me they are compatible with the BRZ.
Then I'll go from there.
Thanks for the heads up Andy. I was just hoping to avoid them, but I guess not. Last I had them put in, on the STI, cost was an arm and a leg. But on this car I should be able to do most of them myself.
I bought tools for a reason no.

Group N is a safe bet for a street car...a really good compromise between NVH and performance. The install just sucks unless you buy the full suspension piece. We've had good luck with Whiteline as well and the install is a little easier.

- Andy
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 04:05 PM   #118
FastWhite

Garage
After paying a premium to have the Whitelines installed on the STI, I'll probably just pay for a complete replacement unit. The hassle is so much less. Install, torque, align. Done.
And, personally, I just prefer the GrpN.
Install will probably be over the Holidays, lead times being what they are. Then see what else I need and go from there.
It is an expensive way to go for mostly DD. In season I'll do 2 autocross's per month. And this yr I will try for a track day.
Justify the price LOL

The Following User Says Thank You to FastWhite For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (12-01-2014)
Old 12-03-2014, 10:52 AM   #119
FastWhite

Garage
Update: someone else bought the last set. So mine are awaiting a new shipment. Ya'll are just gonna have to wait on a review. The good stuff always takes time.

Old 12-03-2014, 02:50 PM   #120
JGalp

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG David View Post
Here's the thing. Suspension is literally a "you get what you paid for" type of deal. There are people who try to mess with that, but hey, we've tested a lot of kits out and can tell you honestly, there are no shortcuts. This car was designed to be extremely modular/tuner friendly. In other words, many things were compromised with the idea that the aftermarket realm would help improve upon the base vehicle. Unfortunately, not everybody is offering good solutions.

With that said, good ride quality does not mean poor performance...in fact, high end suspension requires good ride quality to maintain an even higher level of performance. Remember, performance means keeping those tires planted on the road in every condition. That's grip.

Everything listed below are all 1-way setups. Most KW V3 and RCE T2 owners don't know how to dial in their suspension hence, their ride quality and performance are severely compromised. 1-way is definitely a nice method to move towards, but you're really stuck to one spring rate with very little flexibility. Once you hit critical damping, comfort settings are only a couple clicks on the softer side. Those are the two settings you'll stick to all the time.

~1-2k Category
TEIN Street Flex
RS*R Sport-i

~2k- 3.5k Category
TEIN Monosport
RS*R Club Racer
Ohlins R&T
Bilstein B16

$4k+ Category
Penske
Bilstein
Ohlins
Sachs
etc.

Don't mean to thread jack but i was looking at the RSR sport and the TEIN street flex. I'm not going to track, only car about street Daily drive performance and just having it fit well when i put my new wheels on it (gram light 57extremes)

can you give me the pros or cons or just which one you'd recommend between these two? i think i can get the street flexes for like 1500 and the rsr sport would be between 1700-1800..i was told the tein are better because they can be serviced in california down the street from my shop and they have a better warranty.. how would i get my rsr serviced?@! thanks!!

John
JGalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 02:55 PM   #121
CSG David

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGalp View Post
Don't mean to thread jack but i was looking at the RSR sport and the TEIN street flex. I'm not going to track, only car about street Daily drive performance and just having it fit well when i put my new wheels on it (gram light 57extremes)

can you give me the pros or cons or just which one you'd recommend between these two? i think i can get the street flexes for like 1500 and the rsr sport would be between 1700-1800..i was told the tein are better because they can be serviced in california down the street from my shop and they have a better warranty.. how would i get my rsr serviced?@! thanks!!

John
TEIN is a 10 minute drive for us with lots of traffic lights in between.
RS*R is a 20 minute drive for us.

You are correct with TEIN's servicing. RS*R, I'm not as familiar with their services since we've been invited to test their product as an independent tester on multiple occasions.

You can't go wrong with either one. Both are designed to improve the qualities of the platform and introducing a little extra sportiness in the experience. Both are capable as street and very light tracking purposes with excellent performance potential. If you care more about ride quality and nice ride height, I suggest looking into the RS*R Black-i as that is much more suited for lifestyle setups.
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 10:15 PM   #122
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Now a question. On the Racer X website, is the price for a pair of LCA's or just one. It doesn't state so I think it's just for one.
In case you weren't sure, it's a pair. Very shiny. Good for confusing the SO. "what are those?" "control arms." "oh. uh, what are those?" ...

Pondering whether that aluminum needs some help in this part of the world - powder coating? Not sure. I have time to figure it out, gonna be a few months till the rest of the suspension parts are all available and assembled in a box waiting installation.
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 10:29 PM   #123
FastWhite

Garage
I emailed racer X on that. For a $100 they'll anodize it black or some other colors.plus the urethane bushings don't seem to available on the website. I can purchase the rod ends but not the urethane bushings.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:08 AM   #124
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,349 Times in 4,129 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
plus the urethane bushings don't seem to available on the website. I can purchase the rod ends but not the urethane bushings.
The urethane bushings option is there when I look at the page.
http://www.racerxfabrication.com/product.php?product=56
Are you using NoScript?

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 09:48 AM   #125
FastWhite

Garage
When I pick the options with rod ends, then add to cart, the cart will then show one item. Do the same for the urethane bushing and it will never go into the cart to show the item was added.
No biggy, I have to call them anyways to add the anodizing options. It's not on the website.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:39 AM   #126
FastWhite

Garage
Issue resolved. The urethane bushings do come with dust boots which is what I was selecting. All good now.