follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 08-05-2013, 11:58 PM   #785
mines13

Drives: '13 FR-S '12 CBR1000RR
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to mines13 Send a message via Yahoo to mines13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxgoose View Post
we did file the alternator, it wouldn't sit right otherwise. and i'm curious as to why this would only happen now, when I've had the blower on there for almost a month. yesterday it ate the belt, and now this with the new belt. I've left a message with the parts dept at my local Toyota dealership to find out the cost of a new tensioner and alternator belt cover.

edit: just went out and checked, there IS some play in the belt.
I hate to speculate, but I would keep my money on the tensioner. I had another engine to steal one from, so I am not sure what they cost.
mines13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:16 AM   #786
wrxgoose
WUB WUB

Drives: 2013 Firestorm
Thanked 1,573 Times in 858 Posts
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mines13 View Post
I hate to speculate, but I would keep my money on the tensioner. I had another engine to steal one from, so I am not sure what they cost.
That's where i'm lucky. I've got a friend who works for Lexus, so he should be able to get them for much cheaper than what it'd cost me to buy.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:22 AM   #787
post_break
Professional Smartass

Drives: White Out FRS
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Garage
Can anyone who has installed this kit on their own comment on install difficulty? What was the most difficult or tricky part?

If I missed this information somewhere I apologize.
post_break is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:31 AM   #788
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Firestorm
Thanked 1,840 Times in 1,000 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by post_break View Post
Can anyone who has installed this kit on their own comment on install difficulty? What was the most difficult or tricky part?

I did the install myself. First time doing a FI install on a car. I had been a bicycle mechanic for 7 years working on high-end bikes. 5 hrs 45 min, taking my time to ensure everything was right. Started on first try.

My notes to compliment the Innovate manual can be found here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...84&postcount=1

[ Delicioustuning | Counterspacegarage | RS-R USA | Cusco USA | SPL Parts | ACE Header | Stark Performance | Infinite Motion | Ciro Racing | Build thread:Here ]
[ GR Corolla Core in White w/LSDs on wish list ]
whataboutbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whataboutbob For This Useful Post:
brybot (08-15-2016), post_break (08-06-2013)
Old 08-06-2013, 07:38 AM   #789
swift996

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by post_break View Post

See note above. It's a little tedious but pretty straight forward. The only two things looking back I would have done differently would be to label the extension hoses or track which was which. It's hard when you have never seen the before. Also re-installing the passenger side injector cover/DI computer mount, use a piece of paper crammed into a socket to thread the bolt. It's really hard to get to it because of the wiring harness there. Also when you pull the heater hose, make sure to have the replacement hose in the other hand.

Overall, most people with a little bit of mechanic knowledge should have no issues. It's a process but really any FI application is. I think it's pretty straight forward relative to other kits. There isn't anything you do that you ask why do I have to do this?

swift996 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swift996 For This Useful Post:
brybot (08-15-2016), post_break (08-06-2013)
Old 08-06-2013, 08:56 AM   #790
xxscaxx

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
If you take all the hoses prior to the install and lay them out by length, its very easy to see which one is which throughout the install and directions. You can even measure them if you aren't sure.

Have someone help you drop the supercharger down onto the top of the motor, because you have to go under the AC line and between the engine harness and it can be a little tricky trying to do that while leaning over and supporting it.

Also I have yet to see one person not have to file down the alternator, so save yourself some time and just file it. I had to file it quite a bit to get mine to fit (I pulled it off 3 times and filed before it sat down without touching).

Also the instructions don't say it, but when taking off/putting on the belt, grab a 14mm socket and set it to the right (to tighten the bolt). You have to pull the dynamic tensioner towards the driver side and it releases all the slack by pulling the pulley down.
xxscaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:09 AM   #791
Mikem53

Drives: FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxgoose View Post
okay, so i'm trying to figure out what i'm doing wrong that could cause the supercharger to eat a belt, then cause this:

that's the belt cover for the alternator. I don't know if it's because the belt isn't tight enough or what, but i'm going to check the tension when the motor has cooled off.
You might want to invest in one of these:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Gates-91132-Belt-Tension-Tester/dp/B000CRDLZM/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top"]http://www.amazon.com/Gates-91132-Belt-Tension-Tester/dp/B000CRDLZM/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top[/ame]

Seems like you either have too much slack in the belt because of the tensioner.. Or your running up the side of the belt due to an alignment issue..
Mikem53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:10 AM   #792
swift996

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxscaxx View Post
If you take all the hoses prior to the install and lay them out by length, its very easy to see which one is which throughout the install and directions. You can even measure them if you aren't sure.
The 800 and 900mm seemed the same length and didn't measure to the correct specs. I don't think it was that intuitive. I've already provided some feedback such as placing a color dot or a clip/band that would uniquely identify them. Hopefully innovate can add something like that to improve the ease of install. A simple routing diagram would be helpful too.

swift996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #793
xxscaxx

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
I'm not saying a color chart or labels aren't a good idea, because they are, but all of them are distinctly a different size. the 800/900 are close, but the one is longer and I could tell just by looking at it without measuring anything.
xxscaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #794
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikem53 View Post

http://www.amazon.com/Gates-91132-Be...pr_product_top

Seems like you either have too much slack in the belt because of the tensioner.. Or your running up the side of the belt due to an alignment issue..
how tight should it be when measuring with that gauge?
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:16 AM   #795
evo4g63

Drives: 2016 Subaru WRX
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quote:

http://www.amazon.com/Gates-91132-Be...pr_product_top

Mine did the exact same thing!
Old 08-06-2013, 10:42 AM   #796
Mikem53

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjohnx View Post
how tight should it be when measuring with that gauge?
I don't know how much deflection is normal or how much tension there should be. I'm sure it documented for stock and your setup.. Most SC have a dedicated pulley and belt for the drive system. But this system shouldnt be far off normal with the blower. Otherwise you either slip or put too much side load on the bearings of the other driven components. I was surprised they could turn that blower at max rpms without slippage on the serpentine belt.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:52 AM   #797
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
I don't know how much deflection is normal or how much tension there should be. I'm sure it documented for stock and your setup.. Most SC have a dedicated pulley and belt for the drive system. But this system shouldnt be far off normal with the blower. Otherwise you either slip or put too much side load on the bearings of the other driven components. I was surprised they could turn that blower at max rpms without slippage on the serpentine belt.
Thanks. I just checked the install manual and it doesn't list a spec, maybe @mines13 can chime in. I'm not having any issues, but have ordered the gauge to make sure it's tightened properly. Now i just need to know how tight is proper.
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:59 AM   #798
Mikem53

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjohnx View Post
Thanks. I just checked the install manual and it doesn't list a spec, maybe @mines13 can chime in. I'm not having any issues, but have ordered the gauge to make sure it's tightened properly. Now i just need to know how tight is proper.
If the tensioner is working properly, then you should have the intended preload on the belt. I don't know enough about the install or SC system to know.. But it looks like its using the stock intended tension if the tensioner is in its normal position. Congrats on your new setup!

Tags
2 whp better than n/a e85, 2 whp? you're an idiot., 2screwsbetterthan0screw, 65 whp better than na e85, bspt fittings ftl, hate u all me no have sc, im just here for the tags, inorite!, it's no turbo but, only big numbers matter, screwyou, whine sexier than turbo, whines_more_than_your_gf, wts grey market butthurt.