follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 01-29-2017, 03:45 PM   #4019
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Drives: Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgi View Post
c38 does NOT require fuel bigger injectors and/or bigger pump.

clutch - replace after (and if) the OEM goes while you still own the car. If I recall correctly I have not read threads when people street driving their cars with centrifugal SSs had to replace their stock clutch because it died. Most folks replace theirs because of suggestion like above (opinions, which are based on what?) or suggestions from shops/tuners (there's the ones making money off of you).
I should have said stated you would eventually*. The fuel injectors and fuel pump were in the duty cycle of 90% plus at WOT. In the best interest of not having a fuel pump/fuel injector fail you it would be a good idea. But yea, I should have made that more clear and stated you would eventually need it.
pgranberg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 07:18 AM   #4020
poolboy54

Drives: Scion FRS. Silver with black badges
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks pgrandberg11
poolboy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:34 AM   #4021
Super Dave
Stuck In a Sandbox

Drives: FRS RS1.0
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I had no idea Kraftwerks provided a BOV for this kit. Does anyone on here run it? would you recommend it?
Super Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:53 AM   #4022
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Dave View Post
I had no idea Kraftwerks provided a BOV for this kit. Does anyone on here run it? would you recommend it?
If you are talking about the one that is provided with the kit, yes you would need to run it. It dissolves boost pressure when you are street driving and not on WOT. The bypass valve will shut close when at WOT to allow the psi to climb. If you didn't have this installed, you would have a huge hole in your hot side intercooler piping and you would never be able to build boost as all the pressure would shoot out the hole from the rubber molded hose. You can run this recirc or vent to atmosphere.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:58 AM   #4023
Super Dave
Stuck In a Sandbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgranberg11 View Post
If you are talking about the one that is provided with the kit, yes you would need to run it. It dissolves boost pressure when you are street driving and not on WOT. The bypass valve will shut close when at WOT to allow the psi to climb. If you didn't have this installed, you would have a huge hole in your hot side intercooler piping and you would never be able to build boost as all the pressure would shoot out the hole from the rubber molded hose. You can run this recirc or vent to atmosphere.

I was referring to the one that was shown on 86speeds website. I saw the Kraftwerks one and a Turbosmart one. I just assumed they were upgrades or different sounding BOVs.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:25 AM   #4024
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Quote:
I was referring to the one that was shown on 86speeds website. I saw the Kraftwerks one and a Turbosmart one. I just assumed they were upgrades or different sounding BOVs.
oh ok, yea I just took a look at this one:

http://www.86speed.com/performance/k...blowoff-valve/

http://www.86speed.com/new-products/...blowoff-valve/ (this one comes with the kit)

I don't think I'd recommend the large BOV since it states that it should be used in applications with 18+ psi. If you're not running enough boost, you'll never be able to completely close the valve. I'd just stick the standard one. The standard one is actually pretty loud in my opinion especially if you let off after hitting redline...
The Following User Says Thank You to pgranberg11 For This Useful Post:
Super Dave (01-30-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 11:29 AM   #4025
Super Dave
Stuck In a Sandbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgranberg11 View Post
oh ok, yea I just took a look at this one:

http://www.86speed.com/performance/k...blowoff-valve/

http://www.86speed.com/new-products/...blowoff-valve/ (this one comes with the kit)

I don't think I'd recommend the large BOV since it states that it should be used in applications with 18+ psi. If you're not running enough boost, you'll never be able to completely close the valve. I'd just stick the standard one. The standard one is actually pretty loud in my opinion especially if you let off after hitting redline...

ahhhh ok. I was under the impression that the "standerd one" you linked didn't already come with the kit. Im waiting for my setup to come in the mail this week which is why I wasn't sure. You tha man for answering so many questions here!
Old 01-30-2017, 11:37 AM   #4026
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Quote:
ahhhh ok. I was under the impression that the "standerd one" you linked didn't already come with the kit. Im waiting for my setup to come in the mail this week which is why I wasn't sure. You tha man for answering so many questions here!
sweet! enjoy the boost once you get it all set up!
Old 01-31-2017, 12:56 PM   #4027
tawheed

Drives: '13 Sport Tech
I just wanted to give a shout out and huge thanks to CJ @KraftWerks

As I was looking to purchase a car with an SC in it, he was extremely helpful answering all of my questions, and went above and beyond in helping us sort a few things out in an unbelievably tight timeline. I don't expect companies to provide this level of customer service anymore. Well done!

I'm really hoping they release a DIY video regarding belt tension, seems like it would alleviate a lot of the stress around this system.
tawheed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tawheed For This Useful Post:
bfrank1972 (01-31-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 07:45 PM   #4028
Helios

Drives: 2014 Red Subaru BRZ
It really doesn't get any simpler than this explanation from pgranberg11.

"Use the half belt twist method. There's a little cutout on the bottom of your supercharger plate that you can't fit your thumb through. Try grabbing the SC belt and twist it half way. With your right hand, put your thumb on first and put your pointer finger on the back of the belt push up on your thumb and pull down with your pointer finger until the belt twists half way."

The stress regarding this system will be there for a while until more owners testify to having no problems than when the system first came out. I was hesitant to purchase this system, too, but the price and how "clean"/ OEM the setup looks won me over. We'll see how reliable this kit is in the long run. I did purchase a spare belt just in case. The other SC I considered for this was the Cosworth kit, but I didn't want to spend that kind of money since I have my car getting a V8 swap. Two car projects running simultaneously puts a hurting on the budget.
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Helios For This Useful Post:
pgranberg11 (02-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 11:26 AM   #4029
timso098

Drives: Subaru BRZ DGM
Just bought this kit!! Coming in by the end of this week and installing next Monday. So excited! Any tips on installing the oil reservoir?
timso098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 01:16 PM   #4030
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
It really doesn't get any simpler than this explanation from pgranberg11.

"Use the half belt twist method. There's a little cutout on the bottom of your supercharger plate that you can't fit your thumb through. Try grabbing the SC belt and twist it half way. With your right hand, put your thumb on first and put your pointer finger on the back of the belt push up on your thumb and pull down with your pointer finger until the belt twists half way."

The stress regarding this system will be there for a while until more owners testify to having no problems than when the system first came out. I was hesitant to purchase this system, too, but the price and how "clean"/ OEM the setup looks won me over. We'll see how reliable this kit is in the long run. I did purchase a spare belt just in case. The other SC I considered for this was the Cosworth kit, but I didn't want to spend that kind of money since I have my car getting a V8 swap. Two car projects running simultaneously puts a hurting on the budget.
I would definitely back that statement. HIGHLY recommend buying extra belts. It's a supercharger and belts will break. Yea it's nice that you can still drive without a belt on the sc (I've done that from Gingerman raceway in Michigan all the way back to chicago on the same tune and was fine, probably don't recommend doing that however..) here's the link that I use to get a belt, it's typically the cheapest:

https://www.mrosupply.com/synchronou..._gates-rubber/

In regards to stress, I believe people tend to make it a lot more worse than it really easy. Honestly, the biggest pain in the ass with this kit was figuring out the belt and the oil cooler setup up (if you plan on tracking, not necessary if you don't). But once you figure out the belt, the kit is nice to drive.

Last edited by pgranberg11; 02-06-2017 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:18 PM   #4031
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by timso098 View Post
Just bought this kit!! Coming in by the end of this week and installing next Monday. So excited! Any tips on installing the oil reservoir?
It would help if you have two people. have one person in the car and prime the sc while someone else pays attention to the oil level in the reservoir. don't let the reservoir ever go empty, but don't overfill it either. I don't know how you would do it with one person otherwise.

good luck and enjoy the boost!
Old 02-06-2017, 03:56 PM   #4032
timso098

Drives: Subaru BRZ DGM
Sounds good. Going to install at my shop with the mechanic I work with. But for the placement of the reservoir where did people install them? Ive seen people with it in the front in the middle by the bumper. Any reason why it would benefit from being located there instead of being by the battery?
timso098 is offline   Reply With Quote