follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-18-2015, 11:53 PM   #71
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
^ What those guys said.

I'm not fitting to answer your question since Seattle rarely gets snow.

(We are in a convergence zone, blocked by a mountain range so surrounding areas get the fun while we only get rain..)
The Twins make me smile
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 12:04 AM   #72
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Drives: 2014 37J FR-S
Thanked 1,258 Times in 809 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02.ACCORD.DUDE View Post
Bummer...

Next question, any tips on keeping car "clean" through NJ winter (other than don't drive it )?

(Really just looking to keep salt to a minimum - I was thinking I'd just wipe the car down with a moist towel / shammy every week since a full wash doesn't seem possible in the garage and I'd be scared of anything freezing)
Wax monthly with carnauba wax. 24hr later use spray on wax/detailer.

Instead of washing in winter weekly, use spray wax to wipe down dirt and debris if possible.

Concerning interior.... car seat covers that slide moisture/dirt. PVC/Leather if possible. All weather mats+custom plastic mats all over car but not driver (safety first!). Vacuum every 3 days (I do!) and finally, wipe down interior with favorite "wet" (like armor all) wipes.

Oh, if you live near coast, dont forget to hose down bottom of car if possible to help remove salt.

I know it's overkill (above) but that's something i'd do. I do 3/4 of that but my issue is dust.
02.ACCORD.DUDE (10-19-2015), FRSBRZGT86FAN (08-29-2018)
Old 10-19-2015, 06:51 AM   #73
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
A touchless one! Many offer a card or pass that gives you several washes. I did mine once a week last year and have very little rust underneath (bolts and fittings that will rust anyway). Many guys will yell and scream it is no good (mostly from places that have never seen snow much less a salted road) for the car but it is way better then the salt and you can just strip off the spray wax in the spring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packofcrows View Post

Instead of washing in winter weekly, use spray wax to wipe down dirt and debris if possible.

Concerning interior.... car seat covers that slide moisture/dirt. PVC/Leather if possible. All weather mats+custom plastic mats all over car but not driver (safety first!). Vacuum every 3 days (I do!) and finally, wipe down interior with favorite "wet" (like armor all) wipes.

Oh, if you live near coast, dont forget to hose down bottom of car if possible to help remove salt.

I know it's overkill (above) but that's something i'd do. I do 3/4 of that but my issue is dust.
I called it!

Pack, when there is salt involved we mean there is SALT involved. You would probably be sanding your paint off with just trying to do a wipe down. A weekly wash is important up here.

45 minutes after a wash:
Attached Images

02.ACCORD.DUDE (10-19-2015), Cole (10-19-2015)
Old 10-19-2015, 08:20 AM   #74
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
lol There goes $10.

The last two winters have been so cold I bet I didn't wash the car twice all winter...

This car won't see salt for a while.
I had the cleanest dirty car around! I got a pass for unlimited washes for about $75 so didn't care if it got dirty right away. The place has a really good blowdry so even on the coldest days I had no real freeze up issues.
new2subaru (10-19-2015), why? (10-19-2015)
Old 10-19-2015, 11:01 AM   #75
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Lol id just buy a teleporting machine then or a winter beater.
Tcoat (10-19-2015)
Old 10-19-2015, 11:02 AM   #76
Tcoat

Quote:
Lol id just buy a teleporting machine then or a winter beater.
You get used to it.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:19 PM   #77
02.ACCORD.DUDE
Car N00B

Drives: Honda Accord (2002)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I was under the impression must washes closed for the winter... But I'll check with some local ones, that'd make my life easier...
02.ACCORD.DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:21 PM   #78
02.ACCORD.DUDE
Car N00B

Drives: Honda Accord (2002)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Do you have any cover / product recommendations (spray wax)?

I have some turtle wax lying around will that suffice? I don't think I ever waxed my old car because if the condition it was in when I received it
02.ACCORD.DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:24 PM   #79
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I called it!

Pack, when there is salt involved we mean there is SALT involved. You would probably be sanding your paint off with just trying to do a wipe down. A weekly wash is important up here.

45 minutes after a wash:
I don't touch my car with anything all winter long. Just get a wash every time I get gas and that's that.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-20-2015)
Old 10-19-2015, 09:44 PM   #80
xuimod

Drives: 2007 MX-5 Miata, 2015 VW Golf GTI
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

edit: In regards to the header... If I get the dealer to swap the header back to the stock header, what other steps will they have to perform in order to eliminate the CEL / what other parts should I look to have replaced?
You can install a bluetooth OBD adapter and then use a smartphone app to clear the CEL code. The CEL code is probably an O2 sensor related one. If the CEL code comes on often you can always install an O2 sensor spacer. They are easy to install and cost like $10. The O2 sensor CEL might still come on with the O2 sensor spacer installed but it will come on a lot less frequently.
xuimod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:55 PM   #81
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xuimod View Post
You can install a bluetooth OBD adapter and then use a smartphone app to clear the CEL code. The CEL code is probably an O2 sensor related one. If the CEL code comes on often you can always install an O2 sensor spacer. They are easy to install and cost like $10. The O2 sensor CEL might still come on with the O2 sensor spacer installed but it will come on a lot less frequently.
@02.ACCORD.DUDE
The obd adapter doesn't work during an inspection because it will simply come back on during a diagnostic emissions test at varying RPm, the best way is a tune its better for the engine in the long run as well as more power to be made in the future, the spacer trick is unreliable sometimes and you don't harness the power of the UEL or EL headers effectively
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
02.ACCORD.DUDE (10-20-2015)
Old 10-19-2015, 09:56 PM   #82
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Will snap a clean picture tomorrow - but after comparing the lights I think like you and others have mentioned they are the stock lamps.

Here are some pics of how the lights look at night, looks like all the lights are coming on when I switch to regulars - am I looking at some kind of wiring F-UP here?

edit: In regards to the header... If I get the dealer to swap the header back to the stock header, what other steps will they have to perform in order to eliminate the CEL / what other parts should I look to have replaced?

The obd adapter doesn't work during an inspection because it will simply come back on during a diagnostic emissions test at varying RPm, the best way is a tune its better for the engine in the long run as well as more power to be made in the future, the spacer trick is unreliable sometimes and you don't harness the power of the UEL or EL headers effectively
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 11:08 PM   #83
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Quote:
Do you have any cover / product recommendations (spray wax)?

I have some turtle wax lying around will that suffice? I don't think I ever waxed my old car because if the condition it was in when I received it
Personally here is my recommendation for products (I live in sunny, hot and dusty Central CA):

I. Wipe car down for dust if it looks clean, then dump micro towel
II. Wash with, I believe, Dawn liquid dish soap. (removes soft grime and wax)
III. Dry up car thoroughly
IV. Apply Gold Class Carnauba Plus Paste Wax (I leave in sun with container closed for 20-40min before use so it's easier to apply if really hard to use)
V. Wipe down car when foggy white, ever so lightly.
VI. Leave for almost 24hrs so wax settles in.
VII. Apply TURTLE WAX QUICK & EASY WAX & DRY SPRAY WAX generously as well. I also do under car on plastics and under/inside wheels so mud can just be sprayed off later.
VIII. The next day or a few days after, after driving it a tad I wash with Meguiar's G17748 Ultimate Wash and Wax

Might be overkill, but I havent had issues with removing bugs and debris in a long time.

This is my bi-monthly routine.

If it sprinkles, once I know it won't rain anymore, I'll use just a quik detailer or turtle spray wax on car and wipe down. Makes car look like it was just washed. Quick 8min wipe.

Again might be overkill, but thats the process i've developed.

Interior-wise....well thats ocd of me, but I vacuum every 3 days! haha
02.ACCORD.DUDE (10-20-2015), soulreapersteve (10-19-2015)
Old 10-19-2015, 11:44 PM   #84
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:

Interior-wise....well thats ocd of me, but I vacuum every 3 days! haha
Man, I wish I lived close to you. I'll pay you good money to vacuum mine.

The Twins make me smile
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soulreapersteve For This Useful Post:
Packofcrows (10-20-2015)