follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-14-2013, 02:07 PM   #1
Vmax911

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Anyone compare the Borla Catback vs Perrin or Nameless?

Haven't heard too much about the Borla Catback. It sound good on you tube, but does anyone have any experience with it volume-wise?

I've also been looking at Perrin or Nameless, who seem to be favorites here. I want a deep tone, and Borla seemed to sound the deepest on youtube, but sometimes the internet doesn't relect real life!

Anyone had any personal experience between the Borla and either of the other two?
Vmax911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:39 PM   #2
velin86

Drives: 2013 Raven FRS 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Idk after the stories of their headers I just try to stay away from Borla products for this car. But I know most are happy when they get it.
velin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to velin86 For This Useful Post:
Freeman (06-15-2013)
Old 06-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #3
ramiram1984

Drives: 2016 STi DGM
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
A guy had it in his auto BRZ. Sounded like a civic really.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #4
Vmax911

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramiram1984 View Post
A guy had it in his auto BRZ. Sounded like a civic really.
Well that's no good!
Old 06-16-2013, 01:44 PM   #5
Vmax911

Anyone actually own the Borla catback and would like to comment?
Old 06-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #6
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Comparing Borla to Nameless/Perrin isn't even close. They machine weld all their junk with low quality welds. Needless to say, I think they've really gone downhill since the late 90's days when I saw their parts on LT1's and LS1's.

Yes, I have a Nameless exhaust, but I'll put it side by side to any Borla system for our car and you'll see/hear the difference.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #7
Vmax911

I'm sure the build quality of the Borla is inferior to nameless or perrin, I was curious what those who have heard the exhaust in person thought of the sound.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:52 PM   #8
cdo221

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S, 2015 RS 1.0
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmax911 View Post
I'm sure the build quality of the Borla is inferior to nameless or perrin, I was curious what those who have heard the exhaust in person thought of the sound.
DISCLAIMER: I have not heard any Nameless or Perrin products in person. This is my impression of the Borla - I have driven the FRS as my daily driver with the stock exhaust, Works muffler delete, and now the Borla exhaust (which I have now and have no plans to replace after having it since March 2013).

I have the Borla cat back and I think it's great. I would recommend this to anybody looking for something more aggressive without going overboard - deeper/bassy-ier/louder than stock without getting unwanted attention from cops or being ricey/obnoxious.

Tone is definitely deeper and bassier than stock - I like it lot. It has some rumble/growl to it but very little - don't buy the Borla expecting a lot of growl. Definitely less burbles compared to other exhaust videos I've heard. Works muffler delete had tons of growl/burbles - it was really raw and aggressive. The Borla actually has a deeper/bass-ier tone than the muffler delete.

Zero drone - nothing annoying driving on the freeway or on surface streets.

Volume wise, highway driving and cruising is just at tad louder than stock. Works muffler delete was also just a step above the Borla cruising. I play music and talk to my passenger like normal when cruising. At wide open throttle, the exhaust is plenty loud - maybe about 60% the volume increase from stock to muffler delete, if that makes sense.

NOTE: I have blocked off the sound tube from the engine bay so that also affects the amount of noise I'm hearing in the cabin - but that is more from the intake rather than the exhaust sound.

This is my DD and only car - I drive it every day to work through both the city streets and highway (I commute from outside San Francisco into the heart of SF). But, I drive this car for fun too. I run it to redline whenever I can (merging onto an wide open freeway ramp for example)- I look for twisties, etc..

I wanted something that was more aggressive and more fun than stock without getting on my nerves every day, worry about waking my neighbors, etc. I think the Borla accomplished these goals perfectly.

As for the comment about the Civic.. I have to disagree. I owned a 2000 red Civic SI - fully riced out in my college days. Cheapo carbon fiber hood that peeled, ebay fog lights that were unevenly bright, and best of all... a fart cannon exhaust. It droned and it was loud. I had a lot of fun with that Civic back then but now that I'm older and more mature, my tastes have changed (for the better I think).

The Borla exhaust is nothing like what my Civic SI was. If you search in the classified section, there was some guy selling his Borla because it was actually too quiet for him. I thought Borla isn't really known for making loud exhausts anyway?

As for build quality - I'm gonna be honest with you. I know nothing about welding so I can't tell you if the welds or really shitty or not. But, I believe the steel used by Borla is the same quality steel as Perrin/Nameless etc. I also do know that Borla has a million mile warranty (essentially lifetime) that they stand behind.

There was a fiasco with the UEL headers from Borla warping or something - I believe everybody has gotten it replaced or is in the process of getting it replaced. Thread is here:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=684321

Every company will make a mistake eventually - it's how they rectify it that matters. Borla seems to have pretty good customer service about their mistakes if the UEL headers issue is any indication.
cdo221 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdo221 For This Useful Post:
BRZkitty (10-21-2013), Fast_Freddy (06-17-2013), Vmax911 (06-17-2013)