follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 05-18-2023, 04:18 AM   #4845
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,067 Times in 775 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
i ve retuned many edelbrock, even after they tuned firsr with delicious
not a single one has idle problems
delicious tunes are like that.

it s a sd 100% based tune and fuel trims are always too erratic and the idle stability strategy isn t well set
it s also quite erratic during open loop

Last edited by tomm.brz; 05-18-2023 at 05:39 AM.
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 02:36 PM   #4846
Brewster

Drives: 13 FRS AT, Edelbrock SC, Tomei EL
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff86 View Post
I have to say that I’ve got a very new Edelbrock SC and a Delicious tune. The warmer the weather has become the more erratic the idle is. It’s super annoying. Right after startup and after driving a fair distance, everything is wonderful… no issues. Get in the car and restarting after going to the grocery and it’s a complete disaster. Idle bouncing and car trying to die. It sucks and I’m about to switch to a tune from CSG. I just want to know… is there anyone out there with this supercharger and a Delicious flex fuel tune that ISN’T having these types of issues at all?
I can't answer your question about a Delicious Tune, but I can confirm (as have many others) that tuning by Zach at CSG has provided great results and in my case more "smiles per mile" than anything short of the SC itself.
Old 05-19-2023, 07:48 AM   #4847
GPhilly

Drives: 2020 Subaru BRZ (Edelbrock SC)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I have to say that I’ve got a very new Edelbrock SC and a Delicious tune. The warmer the weather has become the more erratic the idle is. It’s super annoying. Right after startup and after driving a fair distance, everything is wonderful… no issues. Get in the car and restarting after going to the grocery and it’s a complete disaster. Idle bouncing and car trying to die. It sucks and I’m about to switch to a tune from CSG. I just want to know… is there anyone out there with this supercharger and a Delicious flex fuel tune that ISN’T having these types of issues at all?
This is exactly what's happening with my car. Driving from cold start is usually ok with no major issues. After starting up warm, the car seems to rough idle and that's where I am getting the most stuttering and lean fuel trims. Difference from yours is I am running CSG Zach's tune.

Not to mention boost pressure feels weak compared to when I upload a new tune or reconnect the battery. Car feels very powerful at the beginning but as the ECU adjusts, I feel like I lost most of that power I had at the beginning. Still convinced its a vacuum leak...

On an unrelated note, can a completely worn out clutch confuse the ECU? I am at a stage where I just replaced my clutch but did not get the chance to drive it. Wondering if slippage limits some of the power that the SC can output. I upgraded from OEM to OS Giken Single.
GPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 08:17 AM   #4848
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,067 Times in 775 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPhilly View Post
This is exactly what's happening with my car. Driving from cold start is usually ok with no major issues. After starting up warm, the car seems to rough idle and that's where I am getting the most stuttering and lean fuel trims. Difference from yours is I am running CSG Zach's tune.

Not to mention boost pressure feels weak compared to when I upload a new tune or reconnect the battery. Car feels very powerful at the beginning but as the ECU adjusts, I feel like I lost most of that power I had at the beginning. Still convinced its a vacuum leak...

On an unrelated note, can a completely worn out clutch confuse the ECU? I am at a stage where I just replaced my clutch but did not get the chance to drive it. Wondering if slippage limits some of the power that the SC can output. I upgraded from OEM to OS Giken Single.

haven t you reached out zach at csg to check on your logs?
DO you have logs then ?
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 08:46 AM   #4849
GPhilly

Drives: 2020 Subaru BRZ (Edelbrock SC)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm.brz View Post
haven t you reached out zach at csg to check on your logs?
DO you have logs then ?
Of course, Zach and I have been in touch. He's aware somethings up.

Unfortunately, I am on the other side of the US so I have to do some mechanical checks on my end and now I'm having a shop specialized in this platform looking at it. Hopefully they find something.
GPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GPhilly For This Useful Post:
tomm.brz (05-19-2023)
Old 05-22-2023, 10:27 AM   #4850
B T

Drives: 15 BRZ, 2003 MR2, '70 Elky, 06 TBSS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
My car threw a P0171 code the other day, checked my OBD2 and found a 24% LTFT. Turns out the Delicious D-Box DESS module quit sending its signal to the ECU but was still reading the percentage over bluetooth just fine. ECUTEK logs showed a 0% in fuel corrections and ethanol percentage. Has anyone else seen failures on these modules?
Old 05-23-2023, 07:56 AM   #4851
Colin86

Drives: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPhilly View Post
Of course, Zach and I have been in touch. He's aware somethings up.

Unfortunately, I am on the other side of the US so I have to do some mechanical checks on my end and now I'm having a shop specialized in this platform looking at it. Hopefully they find something.
My car has had intermediate idle issues and it's always been a failing bypass valve. Have replaced it three times now over nearly ten years and roughly 10k miles. Hoping this new larger bypass lasts longer. For what it's worth Zach's new tunes through CSG seem better than ever, but the idle issue I've experienced haven't been tune related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B T View Post
My car threw a P0171 code the other day, checked my OBD2 and found a 24% LTFT. Turns out the Delicious D-Box DESS module quit sending its signal to the ECU but was still reading the percentage over bluetooth just fine. ECUTEK logs showed a 0% in fuel corrections and ethanol percentage. Has anyone else seen failures on these modules?
I don't have the DESS module, but I have the flex fuel module and the bluetooth has failed as far as I can tell. Although it's the opposite, it's still sending good ethanol content signal (so far) to the ECU.
Colin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 12:12 PM   #4852
Jeff86

Drives: 86 (FR-S)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin86 View Post
My car has had intermediate idle issues and it's always been a failing bypass valve. Have replaced it three times now over nearly ten years and roughly 10k miles. Hoping this new larger bypass lasts longer. For what it's worth Zach's new tunes through CSG seem better than ever, but the idle issue I've experienced haven't been tune related.
That's irritating to hear. I bought a brand new supercharger directly from Edelbrock. The install was straightforward and solidly executed. I shouldn't be experiencing a mechanical problem with a bypass valve on a brand new install. I'm also curious why heat seems to be a factor and things are smooth until it's restarted warm.
Jeff86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 01:18 PM   #4853
Colin86

Drives: 86
Quote:
That's irritating to hear. I bought a brand new supercharger directly from Edelbrock. The install was straightforward and solidly executed. I shouldn't be experiencing a mechanical problem with a bypass valve on a brand new install. I'm also curious why heat seems to be a factor and things are smooth until it's restarted warm.
In theory the new bypass should (hopefully) be more reliable -if you bought the kit relatively recently you probably already have the revised unit. I installed the new style bypass last year, it's not failed yet but I've only driven it a couple thousand miles or so.

Edit: I'll also mention it's not all doom and gloom. Other than the bypass valve my edlebrock kit has functioned flawlessly for nearly ten years with regular track days. Car is driven hard and doesn't skip a beat.
Colin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Colin86 For This Useful Post:
Jeff86 (05-23-2023)
Old 05-23-2023, 01:44 PM   #4854
Jeff86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin86 View Post
In theory the new bypass should (hopefully) be more reliable -if you bought the kit relatively recently you probably already have the revised unit. I installed the new style bypass last year, it's not failed yet but I've only driven it a couple thousand miles or so.

Edit: I'll also mention it's not all doom and gloom. Other than the bypass valve my edlebrock kit has functioned flawlessly for nearly ten years with regular track days. Car is driven hard and doesn't skip a beat.
That's what I was hoping when I bought a new one (that the valve would be the newer design). I just bought and installed over the winter. Any way to tell what valve I got?
Old 05-23-2023, 02:53 PM   #4855
B T

Quote:
That's what I was hoping when I bought a new one (that the valve would be the newer design). I just bought and installed over the winter. Any way to tell what valve I got?
How many mounting bolts does it have? I seem to remember the original had 3 and the new has 2. I replaced mine with the newer version about 3/4 years ago and haven't change it since. 20k driven since then.
Old 05-23-2023, 04:58 PM   #4856
Muskoka800

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS Release Series 2#439
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I bought a used unit. The seller provided an uninstalled updated bypass. I removed the original 3 bolt bypass and installed & calibrated the updated 2 bolt version. It has been flawless. Mind you, it is fed vacuum from a remote MAP sensor set-up. Not directly from the manifold.
235F/245R Conti ECS on TRD/Enkei wheels (street),
245/40 sq. A052 on 17x8 720Form GTF2 wheels (track)
Muskoka800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 05:11 PM   #4857
B T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskoka800 View Post
Mind you, it is fed vacuum from a remote MAP sensor set-up. Not directly from the manifold.
Mine pulls from the brake booster line.
Old 05-23-2023, 05:14 PM   #4858
Jeff86

Quote:
Originally Posted by B T View Post
How many mounting bolts does it have? I seem to remember the original had 3 and the new has 2. I replaced mine with the newer version about 3/4 years ago and haven't change it since. 20k driven since then.
Welp... mine's the new type. lol