follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 05-09-2016, 02:32 PM   #1
philooo

Drives: 13' Scion FRS Track car
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Best place to buy/sell race build FRS/BRZ?

I am selling my race FRS, I was wondering if you guys have input on where would be the best place to list my car for sale and find buyer interested in the platform.

car is on eBay but not much activity aside of the usual low ballers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182121675354

I am curious to hear your opinion on pricing as well.
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2016, 03:27 PM   #2
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Thanked 7,307 Times in 4,485 Posts
Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Tagged: 185 Thread(s)
Garage
Depending on what is done to the car it might be easier (and might make more $) if you return back to stock and then sell it that way. Have you tried other sites such as craigslist?
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
What are you talking about? You just killed one of the worst brands in history according to enthusiasts. People will be worshipping you like sheep.
MisterSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:54 PM   #3
redlined600

Drives: Fr-s
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Just my opinion, but a few things stick out in my mind at your current price. Please take this constructively and not critically.
-Right now the car isn’t built to any class and has no pedigree.
-The car is a salvage (might not be a big deal but I’d want lots of details), still has damage and is unfinished/painted.
-No mention of how much power is makes and how much is weighs.

Selling a “race” car can be tough since the market is so niche, your car has some nice parts though.

Try racingjunk, a buddy of mine sold his race car on there.

Best of luck.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:00 PM   #4
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Being quite frank here, your car is priced too high for the components. If you want to maximize your your returns, part out the entire car.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Fenix (10-11-2016), gtslow (05-09-2016), OkieSnuffBox (05-10-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 07:06 PM   #5
dradernh

Drives: Used to Drive:Grand-Am GS #54 E36M3
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Race Cars - http://www.race-cars.com (typically, cars with a history)
Racing Junk - http://www.racingjunk.com (has...everything!)
Bring-a-Trailer - http://bringatrailer.com (long shot, but I sold a race car on BAT)
Race Cars Direct - https://racecarsdirect.com (long shot, but I sold one here, too, and to a guy in the Netherlands, no less)

-------

Oops - just read your ebay listing; out of the above, only Racing Junk is a site to consider.

FWIW, the harnesses are 'Schroth'.

Lastly, detailing how much you have into the car might have an effect on someone who doesn't know what he's doing, but it's otherwise irrelevant. It's just extraneous information that's unlikely to help you - pretty much your situation is a matter of "Here's what I have, and here's what I want."

As an aside, I sold a car that would cost $155K to duplicate, I'd put $115K into it to bring it to that state, I was happy to get $31K for it, and it was that rarest of race cars: actually/truly/really ready to go. Why? Because a qualified race shop looked after the car, and I had an open checkbook when it came to maintenance; for example, the car received a minimum of four hours of nut-and-bolt-check labor after each event, and parts were replaced before they broke or became worn out. When I see in an ad that the car is ready to go on the track, I never believe it, if only because one driver's idea of ready-to-go can be another driver's idea of this-car-needs-$12K-of-attention. As always, just my 2¢.

Good luck with the sale - you've clearly put some good time, effort, and parts into it - I know you'll find a buyer.

Last edited by dradernh; 05-09-2016 at 07:33 PM.
dradernh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dradernh For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (05-11-2016), Tristor (03-29-2018)
Old 05-09-2016, 09:49 PM   #6
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,092 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Considering I read the entire listing and it took me over a minute to find the words "salvage title", that says it all.

Where is the VIN? If you want to mention about title and what it takes for someone to make it street legal (title-wise), the first thing you want to include is a VIN.

I don't care about the pricing much, but the lack of those two above things makes it hard to sell any car, let alone a race-prepped car w/ a premium price attached.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (05-11-2016)
Old 05-10-2016, 11:12 AM   #7
philooo

Racingjunk has lead me no leads whatsoever, eBay had been good, couple interested parties, some pretty serious. Main problem seems to be about where to race the car. buyer don't seem to see where it could fit in terms of class.

I assume buyer who buy cars already build want it all turnkey, while other who are ready to put some work to make it fit in a class, certainly have the time to work on the car themselves and want something cheaper.

Anyways, I am taking your feedback, and updated the ad, removing the personal opinions and added higher up in the ad the rebuild title info.

I also added more photo of the car in the dropbox, showing it before the repair and also a vin number report.

As for price, $22k, I am now at a level where you could build the same car with used parts and do it all yourself.

If you build it with new parts and pay for labor, my car is a bargain
Old 05-10-2016, 12:59 PM   #8
IPGJames
Banned

Drives: ...Cars...
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
race cars are the hardest thing to sell...i always took a bath on every race car i sold ...i ultimately would end up parting out some of the nicer items on them and replacing them with lower cost alternatives to get the price point to where someone would take it off my hands...yes, with a race car you want to be happy that someone takes it off your hands...

always a buyers market and race cars are always a great deal for the buyer

i have a car here that i am scared to add the #'s up on but I would take 33% of what i think i have in it in a heartbeat and move on with my life.

just the nature of the beast with race cars
IPGJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 01:16 PM   #9
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by philooo View Post
Racingjunk has lead me no leads whatsoever, eBay had been good, couple interested parties, some pretty serious. Main problem seems to be about where to race the car. buyer don't seem to see where it could fit in terms of class.

I assume buyer who buy cars already build want it all turnkey, while other who are ready to put some work to make it fit in a class, certainly have the time to work on the car themselves and want something cheaper.

Anyways, I am taking your feedback, and updated the ad, removing the personal opinions and added higher up in the ad the rebuild title info.

I also added more photo of the car in the dropbox, showing it before the repair and also a vin number report.

As for price, $22k, I am now at a level where you could build the same car with used parts and do it all yourself.

If you build it with new parts and pay for labor, my car is a bargain
Let me give you the alternative view point, that most buyers will be using.

What is the fastest 22k race car currently on the market you can buy? Or, what is the fastest race car for 22k that you can build?

If I had a 22k budget to build a race car, it would probably be a vette. You can see where this is going...
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
DaiTT500 (10-14-2016)
Old 05-10-2016, 01:57 PM   #10
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,092 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
If I had a 22k budget to build a race car, it would probably be a vette. You can see where this is going...
For $22k I can go at least 20 seconds faster at COTA!!!
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (05-10-2016)
Old 05-10-2016, 02:09 PM   #11
gtslow

Drives: 2015 Halo FR-S
You could pretty easily get $7k in cash just from parts if you parted the car out. I'm not sure what the salvage titled cars are actively going for but you might shoot for that level and take a wash on the cage maybe at maybe $10-$13k. It isn't $22k total, but I think that would be a realistic goal given the market.
gtslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:29 PM   #12
JimR

Drives: '15 FR-S, '92 Sentra SE-R
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
FWIW, I saw the car on Racing Junk a while back and thought, "Neat." People do look, but I guess no interest is no interest.

Budget enduros are hot right now, but it's not eligible for LeMons and Chump. It might fit in the top GP1 class of WRL, which is popular in the central US. WRL classes based on power-to-weight, so that might be good info. I saw a BRZ race in GP1 a few years ago. It might be a fit for SCCA Bracket Enduros and AER, too? They all should have forums/classifieds/FB followings.
JimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:30 PM   #13
mixtape
Posts in the nude

Drives: 2016 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Who here tried to click the right arrow on the first photo to try and see more?
*raises hand*

"Lesbian trees have no wood." - Scoobs McGee
mixtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 04:41 PM   #14
philooo

You can definitely get faster for $22k, but for how long LOL

The big problem really is that there is no SPEC86 class to race in. I think if this was a miata the market would be better.. I think

under $20k, I'll just park it for whatever long I need and bring it back on track when I can.

I have been running my porsche for many years, but I rather go slower and not worry about drivetrain failure ridiculous cost, or simply reliability. that's why I kept the whole car stock aside of the brakes and suspensions. I see too many people wrenching instead of driving.

I hope someone at NASA and SCCA will work on some SPEC86, where modification are similar to the spec miata.

In that aspect I may actually revert to stock brake and cheaper suspension to stay within the spirit of the spec86.