follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-10-2020, 11:30 AM   #1
allowe

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rough shifting even after the car is warmed up

Hey guys

Recently I’ve been noticing that while shifting gears, the shifter doesn’t go into the gear smoothly. It feels really notchy. I have changed the transmission fluid 2 years ago (40k kilometres) with motul fluid ( it’s been great, felt a lot smoother than oem except in winter). It feels notchy even after the warm up. I’ve had the car for 3 years now and it’s never felt this notchy. The other day I was at a stop light and when the light turned green, I went to put it into first gear and it just wouldn’t go in. I spent a solid minute trying to jam it into gear while holding traffic. This has only happened once though and it was a year ago. Any ideas on what this could be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
allowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 12:18 PM   #2
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by allowe View Post
Hey guys

Recently I’ve been noticing that while shifting gears, the shifter doesn’t go into the gear smoothly. It feels really notchy. I have changed the transmission fluid 2 years ago (40k kilometres) with motul fluid ( it’s been great, felt a lot smoother than oem except in winter). It feels notchy even after the warm up. I’ve had the car for 3 years now and it’s never felt this notchy. The other day I was at a stop light and when the light turned green, I went to put it into first gear and it just wouldn’t go in. I spent a solid minute trying to jam it into gear while holding traffic. This has only happened once though and it was a year ago. Any ideas on what this could be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Park the car on a level surface with room in front to roll... Parking brake off, in first gear, clutch pressed. Rev engine slowly up to like 6k. If the car moves, your clutch is dragging (this will cause shifting issues). Bleed the clutch and possibly adjust the clutch pedal.

If the car doesn't move... Then I dunno. But you should probably bleed the clutch either way.

Now, I should note, it's possible your clutch fork is bending and not actuating the throwout bearing properly. This would mimic a poorly adjusted clutch or one that needs bled, since it will straight up not move the bearing as far as it should. I'm not certain how to inspect it short of removing the fork and looking for damage. Obviously if the fork is bent you should replace it. Verus makes a billet fork and pivot. I would recommend those. Unless you want to replace the whole throwout system with one like the LS engines use but it's pretty expensive.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashikabi For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-11-2020)
Old 07-10-2020, 01:14 PM   #3
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Assuming all parts are in good order. If you sit at a long light holding the clutch depressed the input gears in the trans will stop turning. When you try to move the shifter into gear the teeth may not line up. You could try pushing the shifter into an other gear to slightly move the gear set then allowing you to get into first. In addition to letting the gear set stop spinning you are putting and holding a load on the TOB shortening life. An other way to get into gear is to place the shifter into neutral or center position and let the clutch engage for a second. This will spin the input gears and let you get the shifter into gear.
When sitting still for a while it is better to let the clutch release and take the load off the TOB.
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ls1ac For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-11-2020), soundman98 (07-10-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 08:50 PM   #4
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Yep, like said, I suggest you start by bleeding the clutch system.
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote