follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

View Poll Results: Do you have the described AT issues?
Yes, but I've ignored them 41 34.17%
Yes, TSB fixed it 14 11.67%
Yes, dealer fix did not help 12 10.00%
No everything is fine 53 44.17%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 02-26-2017, 06:08 AM   #253
Michael
Lovin' the Low Life

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Does anyone else experience the RPMs going higher than normal before the car shifts to the next gear up while driving non-aggressively? This only occurs every once in a while and I usually swap to manual mode and shift that way when this happens.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:19 AM   #254
Reamer

Drives: 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Does anyone else experience the RPMs going higher than normal before the car shifts to the next gear up while driving non-aggressively? This only occurs every once in a while and I usually swap to manual mode and shift that way when this happens.
When in "sport" mode it'll hang onto a gear until 3k rpm so it isn't shifting too soon for "sport" conditions. Maybe this is what you're experiencing?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
Reamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 02:41 PM   #255
Michael
Lovin' the Low Life

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reamer View Post
When in "sport" mode it'll hang onto a gear until 3k rpm so it isn't shifting too soon for "sport" conditions. Maybe this is what you're experiencing?
The would be normal but I'm never in sport mode.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:27 AM   #256
Izanagi

Drives: 15' Raven FRS.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I've been struggling with this problem for almost 2 years. I took it back to the dealership (after reflashing back to stock tune) Its been 2 days now, shifting still feels a little bit harsh but im pretty sure the problem is finally gone. Will keep ya'll updated.
Izanagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 05:07 PM   #257
shaynek

Drives: BRZ Limited; GR86
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Anyone with a 2013 have luck with getting the tsb?
shaynek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 06:29 PM   #258
Overdrive
Sittin' Sideways

Drives: 2016 Toyota FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Am I correct in assuming that if the last 6 numbers of my VIN are a higher number than the number shown in the TSB, it's considered built after the TSB effectivity and would not apply to my car? It's a September 2015 build, MY16.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:22 PM   #259
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
Am I correct in assuming that if the last 6 numbers of my VIN are a higher number than the number shown in the TSB, it's considered built after the TSB effectivity and would not apply to my car? It's a September 2015 build, MY16.
That is correct, however some of the cars fixed including mine were outside of that VIN range and had that issue. The problem was getting the dealer to agree to flash it, they really don't like doing it out of the vin range because they aren't really comfortable for some reason. I believe it is worth it to pester them though if you have the issue, my shifts were absolutely better in manual mode and auto mode after the tcm update. Seems there was a shift logic update does as well over two years ago now.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:28 PM   #260
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by calic View Post
So I was the OP in the first link posted. I think I started feeling the rough shifting within the first month I owned the car. I become somewhat used to it. It would be triggered when I would push the car hard. And with my OFT it got to a point I couldn't even use Sport mode without the car becoming so rough in its shift. It got to a point that I would have to pull over in the canyons to restart the car and let it reset the computer. Because the shifts would unsettle the cars suspension, that it just didn't feel safe.

Ultimately I attempted to take it to the dealer. And they flat out said it's normal. This is my 4th auto manual car, and never had I felt a tranny so notchy and unsettling. I had to adapt to alleviate the hard shifting by not flat footing and letting off the gas during each shift.

I've also experienced the hard downshifting. One incident I had came off the freeway kind of hot, and went to downshift. As I was slowing down into first, the car was about to come to a stop. And bam the tranny slammed into first, the car skidded it's tires and I almost ran into the car in front of me.

Ultimately I found this thread and had the TSB applied today. I have to say the car feels like a different car completely, the car shifts like butter. It rev matches and downshifts perfectly. It's kind of messed up many of us owners had to deal with this for such a long time. My car being a 2015 it's almost two years.

Like another owner echoed, I hope there is no permanent damage on the transmission. But I'm happy to finally have a working vehicle that should of came in this condition from the factory. I really hope that owners outside the TSB models are able to get this applied to the TCM. I will continue to update my own progress in this thread, but honestly it feels like the car is finally normal.

And i'm glad that it wasn't only me. Many of the people who posted in the earlier threads or when I first posted. I considered that I was just being OCD over the car, but it validates that there are problems with the TCM. And it's unfortunate that the TSB doesn't directly address the transmission shifting problem in it is report. Good luck to everyone getting this TSB completed.
I'm glad I was able to help everyone the tech stream access to get that TSB for everyone to see awhile back was around $40 so it was well spent. I also had the issue of the banging with the rear wheels chirping, that's actually what forced me into looking way deeper into this issue till it was fixed.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
Old 01-27-2018, 10:30 PM   #261
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Boyz View Post
I went to the dealer and told them about the rough shifting and that I had the idle fluctuation problem even though my VIN wasn't the one they mentioned on the TSB.

Of course they took it on a test drive and weren't replicate it. I said just check the TCM. They said they had an update and would install it but there is no reverting back to the previous version. I said just go ahead and do it.

The service rep said it would take 1 hour to download (whatever that means). 1 hour to download the update? 1 hour to update? He didn't seem to computer savvy and most likely used the wrong terminology.

Anyway, they updated my TCM and shifting has been great so far without any issues like before with jerky shifts and delayed rev matches.

Lmao, the TCM file I downloaded off techstream with this TSB was so small probably only would take a minute to download unless they had really really really bad internet, I have it on google drive somewhere stille. They probably meant 1 hour to flash it to the car, theres a long process that involves putting the car on a charger and a pre-check diagnostic thing.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:39 PM   #262
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visitor.S View Post
im have same issue and looking for tsb, but my problem is my frs is already rebuild the engine and get the turbo kits, is that possible dealer still can do that? anyone knows dealer must be reflash the ecu? thanks
Quote:
Just print out the tsb and go the dealership.
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_a_way1 View Post
Yeah that's fine you will just have to pay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjgough95 View Post
As mentioned you can try and have to pay. I went that route and they still denied me because it was modified.
This is another late answer, but it would be considerably more difficult to do with a turbo kit assuming he has an ecutektune. In which case techstreams tools will not be able to connect to the TCM as they will be blocked or get a communication issue because it becomes encrypted or locked with ecutek.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:46 PM   #263
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalbiCool88 View Post
I'm on stage 2, and haven't experienced any "slamming" of gears. Can you elaborate? Perhaps you need to have your trans relearn shift logic.

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk
Quote:
I can only speak from my experience before I had the TSB done.

It was bad in sport before i flashed. It got worse with OFT stage 1, since everything is set to be slightly more aggressive. With the flash the car and became somewhat un-driveable due to the shifting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reamer View Post
Have you tried putting it in "sport" before putting it in gear? As long as I put it in sport mode while I'm not moving then it doesn't seem to shift hard. My issue comes up when I'm driving in normal and switch to sport while moving.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
I had OFT stage 2 UEL E85 tune as well as Stage 1, this issue is more prominent in them due to the throttle mapping and low end power increase. The hard shifting happened in manual mode or sport mode regardless and would only fix itself after restarting the car. Another case would be the sport mode switch because of the tune. The banging was almost similiar to as if you slammed it in gear from like 4th-3rd or even 3rd to 2nd in a manual car. That immediately caused the engine brake pulling feeling way more aggressive than normal without a rev match plus a jerk and a chirp from the rear wheels. I had a video posted here of the issue somewhere and at some point you hear it making the noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS-RS1.0 View Post
I'm getting ready to have this done in Delaware... the TSB is a god send as it has been so annoying either resetting the car (off and back on) or constantly driving In manual mode...

I just have two annoying questions eating at me....
1) how come the TSB doesn't simply acknowledge the dynamic rev management issue (hard shifting)

2) shouldn't this be a recall??? Even if it was a silent recall I've been driving my RS 1.0 almost a year with this issue and thought there was no solution .... thanks Toyota
1) Because toyotas engineers at the time may have not tested our odd situation and simply noticed the odd idle that appears and didn't bother to try sport mode or manual mode. I'm assuming their testing was after a long highway run and cruising. I have no doubt in my mind that if they had switched it to manual mode or sport mode they would've noticed the hard shifting and lack of rev matching

2)Again, they didn't notice the manual mode issue so they just issued a TSB. So therefore its an issue that can only be fixed if a customer notices it. What they should've done is issued a wider spread TCM update for multiple cars anyway, the new shift logic is too good not to and it would've covered their bases
Old 01-27-2018, 10:48 PM   #264
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
Just be thankful you had no clue that this TSB existed, over fighting with Toyota Canada head office for 8 or 9 months to get them to perform the flash.

It's been a while since I've been on the forum. Did you end up getting the flash done? Dare I say it would've been worth going to a dealer further out somewhere and asking for the TCM update.
Old 05-12-2018, 12:51 PM   #265
Richard_BRZ

Drives: 2017 WRB Subaru BRZ Sport-Tech
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hi all, low mileage 2017 BRZ and just started having the issue. Quickly stopped at dealer and was told they never heard of this issue before and they wouldn’t touch my car because the mods... literally coilovers and full exhaust with catless header only. Has anyone experienced this issue on a 17/18 car recently?
Richard_BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Richard_BRZ For This Useful Post:
Tristor (05-12-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 08:16 PM   #266
FRSBRZGT86FAN

@Richard_BRZ

According to @Cole his dealerships wouldn't play ball as well in Canada

Also if your a 2017 your issue is most likely something else, you really should have the latest TCM update present on the TCM
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
Richard_BRZ (06-19-2018)