follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-30-2020, 04:26 PM   #29
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
@dagle a stock car can still develop a vacuum or exhaust leak. This will throw off fuel trims. Fuel trims being off because of this can cause laggy input in throttle response especially from a stop/low rpm.

Hook up to the OBDII using tactrix, openflash tablet, ecutek. Probably some phone apps can do it.

Fuel trims could also be off from a dirty MAF causing similar issues, try cleaning it while your troubleshooting. Unplug and replug the throttle body cable incase bad connection.

If after all troubleshooting nothing is fixing it, could try replacing the throttle body, or even go to a larger TB, which can give better response. Or get a pedal commander and have instant response and complete control of throttle mapping. Takes 2 mins to install.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:47 PM   #30
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagle View Post
it's 100% stock with a relatively recent (not recent in my book, but others may think so) ECU reset about 400 miles ago (1.5 gas tanks). I'll check on the vacuum in the intake system. I don't think there are any vacuum leaks, but all of the resonator/deadspace volume might be contributing to it. I also think that idle is a bit low (it's reading ~600RPM on the tach). Not sure where to find ltft/stft on the stock ECU, is that available somewhere? As far as exhaust leak, it might be hanging up on the lack of backpressure but I severely doubt it on an engine this size lol..

Right, not everyone has had the opportunity to drive a bunch of different sporty cars. If you have, that's great. I've driven most iterations of most sporty cars that have come out in the last decade and also a bunch of swapped race cars, exotics, etc. If you think the DBW system and pedal feel of the FRS/BRZ is the same or better than that of a modern enthusiast's sports car, that's totally OK, I simply disagree.

you're free to drive however you'd like in your car, I'll drive the way that I do... It's really not that big of a deal to me to ride the clutch. If it is to you and you're concerned with the replacement intervals or costs, that's totally fine and understandable. you've driven a few times in SF, i've driven here for more than a decade on most of the hills. if i found a better way to navigate the hills reliably, i would have done it. i haven't found anything yet, but i'm more than open to it if you have a better approach.

as far as DBW, as a factory system it's comparable in my opinion to the Chevy Cruze and Kia Optima. Better ones in my view are the C7 and C8 corvettes, the later 08-09 s2000's, and even the BMW M cars but that's my opinion on the matter.

I mentioned standalones because you stated that the DBW system in the FRS/BRZ is the closest thing you've gotten to cable. I offered to you that I've driven a number of racecars and swapped cars with full standalone systems because they are far better in terms of feel and adjustability (and to me, indistinguishable to cable). I was making the point that if indeed the FRS was the best DBW system you've ever experienced, you clearly didn't have any experience with fast DBW cars. That's all.
I've never had a fast car.... ever.... the frs is the pinnacle of cars.

Please tell us all more about your adventures in driving!
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:25 PM   #31
dagle

Drives: assphalt FRS, couple s2000's
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
I've never had a fast car.... ever.... the frs is the pinnacle of cars.

Please tell us all more about your adventures in driving!
That's unfortunate, hopefully your living situation permits and you'll be able to have one some day. I wouldn't personally consider the FRS as the pinnacle of cars but I'm glad that you enjoy it and have the opportunity to have it. I don't think I have enough time to tell you all the adventures but most of it revolves around streetdriven turbo 4bangers and crashing a couple of motorcycles.
dagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:37 PM   #32
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
That's unfortunate, hopefully your living situation permits and you'll be able to have one some day. I wouldn't personally consider the FRS as the pinnacle of cars but I'm glad that you enjoy it and have the opportunity to have it. I don't think I have enough time to tell you all the adventures but most of it revolves around streetdriven turbo 4bangers and crashing a couple of motorcycles.
Oh, please. Go on. Regale us with at least one tale.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:48 PM   #33
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,253 Times in 7,346 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned but there is no Sport mode on a MT and the AT Sport mode is just for changes in the gearbox. There's no setting that changes throttle response on this car as standard.
I was going to say something but the way this thread is going I choose instead.
soundman98 (06-30-2020)
Old 07-01-2020, 04:40 AM   #34
solidsnake11

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Turbo cars have a different throttle feel, so maybe you need a turbo kit installed.
solidsnake11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:55 AM   #35
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,948 Times in 2,182 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
dagle is ok. He does motorbikes too.

I was wrong about the buttons though.
I only turn the bacon off temporarily to get out of my drive.

Have not taken advantage of the VSC/SPORT button.
Only pushed yesterday to see the dash lights, then turned it off.

600 on warm idle is standard and not something to worry about.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:35 AM   #36
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,253 Times in 7,346 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
For what it is worth I think the throttle response is poor as well, mostly in the lower RPM's. Mid to upper RPM's it is okay.
Old 07-01-2020, 04:24 PM   #37
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
I can't believe that this thread has gone on for 36 posts and I haven't chimed in -

OK, so, here is my contribution.

The throttle response on my stock 2013 FR-S is just fine.
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (07-01-2020)
Old 07-01-2020, 04:31 PM   #38
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
So is mine.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WNDSRFR For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-01-2020)
Old 07-01-2020, 04:36 PM   #39
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I guess us old geezers no longer have the reflexes to notice the nanosecond delay between stepping on the gas pedal and getting a response.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WNDSRFR For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-01-2020), soundman98 (07-01-2020)
Old 07-01-2020, 04:47 PM   #40
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I think the stock throttle map is all over the place. Too sensitive in the lower end and barely anything in the upper, pretty typical of most cars
Edelbrock Supercharger installed @ 50k
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 06:07 PM   #41
dagle

Drives: assphalt FRS, couple s2000's
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
my issue is only leaving from a stop with light throttle, otherwise it's fine. i took a look in the morning on a completely cold start and all intake components are snugged. i'll remove resonators and other chambers on the weekend to rule them out but i kind of doubt those to be the cause. I tried both VSC Sport mode ON and OFF and reproduced the delay in both. Particularly with very light throttle (barely touching the pedal) the delay is very pronounced. I ruled out my clutch input by letting go of the clutch and rolling at 1mph and the delay was still present. Dirty MAF or maybe another ECU reset (since it was reset in a different climate prior) are the next things i'll work through if removing the intake resonators and sound generator doesn't help.
dagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:48 PM   #42
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
I guess us old geezers no longer have the reflexes to notice the nanosecond delay between stepping on the gas pedal and getting a response.
And I guess we are just used to the feeling through the support insoles in our house slippers -
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote