follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 05-03-2023, 12:25 AM   #1
Maplemoose

Drives: 2023 BRZ MT Sport Tech Black
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2023 New BRZ, 1st Oil Change, No Crush Washer

Just did my 2023 BRZ's first 1K Mile, 1600 KM, oil change. However, I couldn't find the original crush washer. It is definitely not on the oil pan drain valve. And I asked three people to examine the drain bolt and they all said the crush washer couldn't be on the drain bolt.

I checked the old oil in the my oil pan and it's not there. I poured the old oil into a jug and poured it back to my oil pan, used my hand to feel around and it's not in the old oil.

I'm now afraid I have double crush washer the oil drain bolt now. Is it a big deal to double crush washer it if I torque it to spec?

I will get a new oil drain bolt from dealer and do my next oil change before winter in 5 months. Should I wait that long if I double crush washer it? Thanks.
Maplemoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 01:55 AM   #2
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Not sure if it's the case for the 22-23 but the original twins came from the factory with the black paint OVER the top of the crush gasket. So when you removed the drain plug bolt the first time, the crush gasket stayed stuck to the outside of the pan. I've also seen it stay stuck to the drain bolt itself and have to be pried off of it. Again, due to the black paint getting on it.

It was necessary to gently pry it off there and then replace it when doing the initial change. Could've been what happened here as well.

Was the edge area around the pan's drain valve opening smooth to the touch? You would've been able to easily feel if the crush gasket was stuck to the pan.

I don't know enough about crush washers to say if having two of them on there will cause a slow leak or not. I'd say put some cardboard under the car and check for signs of leaks in a day or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clipdat For This Useful Post:
Boomerang (05-04-2023)
Old 05-03-2023, 08:59 AM   #3
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
to quote the great puddins fab shop, it'll either leak or it won't.

and if it does, we'll say it never should've!
Old 05-03-2023, 12:10 PM   #4
Maplemoose

Drives: 2023 BRZ MT Sport Tech Black
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
So when you removed the drain plug bolt the first time, the crush gasket stayed stuck to the outside of the pan. I've also seen it stay stuck to the drain bolt itself and have to be pried off of it. Again, due to the black paint getting on it.
Thanks for your reply. I redid the whole oil change this morning and this time I can see the original crush washer in black just like you said.

I put back the one day old oil in the BRZ. So I wasted 30 minutes and another crush washer but at least I can sleep better now.
Maplemoose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maplemoose For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (05-03-2023)
Old 05-03-2023, 12:48 PM   #5
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Attaboy! Glad you got it sorted. Now you can get back to enjoying your BRZ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote