follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 07-24-2015, 01:30 AM   #1
ual60515

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Tuning options in Chicago?!

Hi guys,

I have a 2014 frs with a takeda cold air intake, ft86 catted uel headers, motiv over pipe, berk high flow catted front pipe and the borla catback exhaust...

Now I desperately want to get my car tuned and am a little weary of the oft as I want a tune to maximize all the mods on my car. So I want a ecutek dyno tune, that seems the best way for max performance. I've been doing a lot of research for a shop/tuner anywhere remotely close to me, I live near Chicago. I can only find p&l motorsports who can offer this but they haven't installed there dyno yet at there new facility and there's a 100 car waiting list. Not tuning my car in the winter that's for sure. So does anyone know where you can get your frs dyno tuned anywhere around the Chicago land area? I'm shocked to see only one such shop anywhere around doing this?

Any help would be most appreciated!!
ual60515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 02:06 AM   #2
Shiv@Openflash

Drives: 2013 FRS
Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,494 Posts
Mentioned: 605 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
If your concern with the OFT has to do with the OTS maps not being optimal for your mods, you can always do custom e-tuning with us. And the results will be every bit as good as the best possible dyno tune. Plus, it's been proven that our OTS maps are on par with custom tunes for cars with basic NA mods.
Shiv@Openflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 02:46 AM   #3
ual60515

Yes I am just a little concerned with the OTS maps as I wrote a couple emails and whoever was responding to me was very helpful but the answers just wasn't what I was hoping to hear with regards to what was used and tested for the maps and such, I felt like they wouldn't fully utilize all my mods, if the custom e tune will achieve what a dyno tune would do then I'd absolutely be willing to do that! The whole finding someone anywhere around me to tune my car is going nowhere and is quite frustrating!!

So I pick up the OFT. Data log some driving. Upload to computer. Send to you. You make appropriate changes. Send back. I install on car and am good to go? That easy??
Old 07-24-2015, 02:53 AM   #4
Shiv@Openflash

Quote:
Originally Posted by ual60515 View Post
Yes I am just a little concerned with the OTS maps as I wrote a couple emails and whoever was responding to me was very helpful but the answers just wasn't what I was hoping to hear with regards to what was used and tested for the maps and such, I felt like they wouldn't fully utilize all my mods, if the custom e tune will achieve what a dyno tune would do then I'd absolutely be willing to do that! The whole finding someone anywhere around me to tune my car is going nowhere and is quite frustrating!!

So I pick up the OFT. Data log some driving. Upload to computer. Send to you. You make appropriate changes. Send back. I install on car and am good to go? That easy??
Yep, it's that easy. Rinse and repeat until everything is running like it should.
Old 07-24-2015, 03:05 AM   #5
ual60515

Well I'm pretty much sold! I'll be picking this up shortly and we'll go from there. Sounds almost too good to be true...
Now when I'm data logging for you. What kind of driving do you need to be able to see what changes need to be made? I drive about 50 miles a day with frequent stops, so I can get all sorts of driving in. And how long should I data log it for exactly?
Old 07-24-2015, 05:36 PM   #6
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Well I'm pretty much sold! I'll be picking this up shortly and we'll go from there. Sounds almost too good to be true...
Now when I'm data logging for you. What kind of driving do you need to be able to see what changes need to be made? I drive about 50 miles a day with frequent stops, so I can get all sorts of driving in. And how long should I data log it for exactly?
Not that you will rearly need to understand whats going on as shiv will sort it out for you.

But Takeda intake will require maf scaling due different air flow past maf sensor to standard intake.

This may cause some changes to timing and fueling that may need to be re tweaked to avoid any knock

you may need some intake\exhaust vvt changes to accomodate the catted header as tunes were done for catless aftermaket header.

see links below
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 06:02 PM   #7
sidesleeper

Drives: BRZ series blue
Togue factory can get you all tuned, call them up.

http://www.tf-works.com/
sidesleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 06:11 PM   #8
ual60515

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Not that you will rearly need to understand whats going on as shiv will sort it out for you.

But Takeda intake will require maf scaling due different air flow past maf sensor to standard intake.

This may cause some changes to timing and fueling that may need to be re tweaked to avoid any knock

you may need some intake\exhaust vvt changes to accomodate the catted header as tunes were done for catless aftermaket header.

see links below

So would I have to go the custom e tune route then? That was always my concern with theOTS maps. Or is it something I can do at home? Keep in mind I have no clue on tuning myself and Rom raider and all that. I'm as much of a noob as it gets when it comes to this...
Old 07-24-2015, 06:40 PM   #9
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
So would I have to go the custom e tune route then? That was always my concern with theOTS maps. Or is it something I can do at home? Keep in mind I have no clue on tuning myself and Rom raider and all that. I'm as much of a noob as it gets when it comes to this...
For $200 shiv will sort out you tuning.

yes you could do it yourself but it will take considerable amount of effort and time and reading on your part. Unless you have the desire and time to learn the $200 you would pay shiv or other tuner would be money well spent.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 06:51 PM   #10
Shiv@Openflash

Quote:
The the custom tuning work starts, I'll let you know what kind of datalogs I'll need. Usually just 3rd gear pulls (full throttle) from 2000-7500rpm will do just fine. If you need some MAF re-scaling we will also do some logs of cruise/light load conditions. Each datalog only needs to be 10-15 seconds.