follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northern California

Northern California NorCal

User Tag List

Old 05-03-2013, 12:09 PM   #1
CamryDS

Drives: 2003 Camry Blue | 2013 FR-S White
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Throttle Response

Anyone in the forums here notice that these cars have really delayed throttle response?

The gas pedal is laggy and I stalled twice today getting to work, once going up hill and once on a flat surface. I constantly find myself fighting to get the car in motion due to it because it's never constant in timing the gas/clutch.

Not sure if this is normal, but does it get better after changing fluids? maybe i'm just being soft on the accelerator. Please post your experiences.
CamryDS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CamryDS For This Useful Post:
smmmurf (05-03-2013)
Old 05-03-2013, 12:13 PM   #2
brianlo622

Drives: 2013 FR-S, raven
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
havent noticed this problem and i don't ride the clutch neither.. i find the clutch in the FRS relatively soft but responsive.. feathering the clutch and applying just a bit of gas in first should get you going.

Having owned 4 manual cars previously (a jetta, an evo8, a tsx, and a genesis coupe), I find the gear engagement in the FRS surprisingly smooth, only second to my tsx (its almost impossible to stall that car!)
Stance Coilovers & LCA | TE37SL18x9.5PressedGraphite
brianlo622 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brianlo622 For This Useful Post:
CamryDS (05-03-2013)
Old 05-03-2013, 12:17 PM   #3
overlookedx

Drives: 2015 WRB Limited
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I find the response lacking occasionally. Every once in awhile when I take off from a stop I'll get it wrong and it'll bog down on me and make that terrible bogging sound that this engine makes.

That said, I did the DIY clutch adjustment this weekend and that has helped some in the gas/clutch combo.
CamryDS (05-03-2013)
Old 05-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #4
RC51ed

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
I have noticed the throttle response to lag a lot sometimes. It's the gas pedal run by an electric wire instead of cable. I believe some ecu kits have programs that make the fly by wire respond a little faster but I do not know which system.
RC51ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:28 PM   #5
BlaineWasHere
Grip>Drift

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,749 Times in 918 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Pretty much every car in production today has an electronic throttle. Even my 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee had an electronic throttle.

Compared to other cars I've driven recently I find the throttle fine, I think maybe the clutch is giving you a little issue.

Lastly, THREADS LIKE THIS DON'T BELONG IN THE NORCAL SECTION. THIS IS A TECHNICAL TOPIC AND SHOULD GO IN THE TECHNICAL SECTION OF THE FORUM!!!

Unless I missed it where all the NorCal owners have a different throttle than the rest of the world.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #6
overlookedx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineWasHere View Post
Unless I missed it where all the NorCal owners have a different throttle than the rest of the world.
Guess you didn't get the memo. We have the best throttles in all the world so we can do tracking with our cars.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:45 PM   #7
smmmurf

Drives: SWP BRZ-L 6MT Sold
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I notice the lag as well. It's very apparent compared to a 2004 S2000 (cable throttle) and moderately apparent compared to a great DBW car like a 2004 M3 or 2009 M3. Those cars have electronic throttle but individual throttle bodies which reduce time to response. It is better than a non-performance DBW car such as an E90 328i.

The FT86 throttle lag gets worse when you are coasting off the throttle at lower RPM's (i.e. 3,500rpm in 4th) and then stab the throttle. It is better when the car is revving in neutral or when you are driving it hard. When you are on the throttle halfway and then press the throttle fully, the response is fast.

@CSG Mike says the lag is there for emissions reasons and was able to be tuned out of the 06+ DBW S2000. Let's hope the same is true for the FR-S/BRZ.

You wouldn't notice the lag unless you were looking for it on a test drive, but as an owner, it is pretty apparent since you can duplicate it in very specific situations (coasting down in gear).

The fix is not just changing the throttle ramp profile (that's not what the lag is from) ala "Power Mode" in an M3. The fix is actually reducing the latency from pedal press to response. There is a big difference in the two changes.

I hope a tuner like Visconti or FA20Club can comment if reducing the latency from throttle press to response is possible.
smmmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:45 PM   #8
PMok
Codename: Stitch

Drives: 91 MR2; 06 IS350; 16 BRZ; 18 CX-5
Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,307 Posts
Mentioned: 462 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineWasHere
Lastly, THREADS LIKE THIS DON'T BELONG IN THE NORCAL SECTION. THIS IS A TECHNICAL TOPIC AND SHOULD GO IN THE TECHNICAL SECTION OF THE FORUM!!!
^^ seriously right? LOL

please post it in the general area if it's a general question not location specific. you will probably get better info that way. If for some reason you need the opinions of local owners on a general question, come out to a meet and talk to us.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #9
overlookedx

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMok View Post
^^ seriously right? LOL

please post it in the general area if it's a general question not location specific. you will probably get better info that way. If for some reason you need the opinions of local owners on a general question, come out to a meet and talk to us.
Come on guys, chill out. Move the off topic post to the off-topic section then. What's the harm in trying to have a conversation with local owners on a subforum? Some of us just check the Norcal section to see what other Norcal people are talking about, maybe he wanted local opinions on a topic that's been discussed ad-nauseum in the technical sections.
CamryDS (05-03-2013), JackSmiley (05-03-2013), monkeedoo (08-28-2013), SnakeEyes (05-05-2013)
Old 05-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #10
CamryDS

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlookedx View Post
Come on guys, chill out. Move the off topic post to the off-topic section then. What's the harm in trying to have a conversation with local owners on a subforum? Some of us just check the Norcal section to see what other Norcal people are talking about, maybe he wanted local opinions on a topic that's been discussed ad-nauseum in the technical sections.
(thank you)

I put the thread here to get more response from anyone locally because it's easier to relate to locally. -- I'm just asking a question, not really looking for a solution. Does this thread belong in a technical forum? No, not looking for a step by step resolution. Just asking a question to see who feels this way.

For people who understood why and replied, thanks for the response. I wanted to know if I was the only one out here with it. The lag on the throttle is variable at times. Clutch adjustment was done before i Noticed it so I cannot tell if it helps. I think I'll have to wait until I'm done with the brake-in period to really rev the car and see.

Anyway, thanks for all the comments.
The Following User Says Thank You to CamryDS For This Useful Post:
overlookedx (05-03-2013)
Old 05-03-2013, 01:05 PM   #11
PMok
Codename: Stitch

Drives: 91 MR2; 06 IS350; 16 BRZ; 18 CX-5
Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,307 Posts
Mentioned: 462 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlookedx View Post
but that's the point, if it's been discussed ad-nauseum why do we all have to waste time reading and replying with the same info? Not tryiing to get all geezer-grouchy here but a lot of newer people don't seem to know how to use the search bar...

It's great that we're all mostly super helpful and try to provide answers, but at some point thats gonna get tiring... just wait till 6 months from now:

(shimmering flash forward effect)
Quote:
Noob_86_DRIFT_FORMER_WRX_OWNER (sorry just a stereotypical but hypothetical name haha): SUP GAIZ JUST GOT MY NEW BRZ IT'S MAD TYTE YO! BUT WANNA KNO Y MY TIRES BE SCREECHING EVERYTIME I STEP ON THE GAS. CAN I PUT ARMOR ALL OR WD40 MAKE IT QUIET AGAIN. AND WHERE CAN I GET WINDOW TINT???!

PMok:

Blaine:

Overlookedx:
ummm...
I'm just teasing ... a little bit. This is too much fun not to.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #12
CamryDS

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMok View Post
but that's the point, if it's been discussed ad-nauseum why do we all have to waste time reading and replying with the same info? Not tryiing to get all geezer-grouchy here but a lot of newer people don't seem to know how to use the search bar...

It's great that we're all mostly super helpful and try to provide answers, but at some point thats gonna get tiring... just wait till 6 months from now:

(shimmering flash forward effect)

I'm just teasing ... a little bit. This is too much fun not to.

Umm, search has been done -- too bad this forum as a shitty algorithm in finding searchs and cannot tell the difference between mat and mats. But yeah, I search and if I don't find an immediate answer and if the search is not intelligent enough to do partial matches or even a contain search then i'll post. if you would prefer, I might as well stay silent and troll around. Thanks!

/derailed
Old 05-03-2013, 01:20 PM   #13
husker741
Banned

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion FR-S 6MT
Thanked 4,183 Times in 1,415 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I've found that while in the torque dip, throttle response is just not that great. Below or above that, it's fine.
husker741 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to husker741 For This Useful Post:
JackSmiley (05-03-2013)
Old 05-03-2013, 01:26 PM   #14
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineWasHere View Post
Pretty much every car in production today has an electronic throttle. Even my 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee had an electronic throttle.

Compared to other cars I've driven recently I find the throttle fine, I think maybe the clutch is giving you a little issue.

For April fools next year they should make you a mod for the day. i think that would be epic. hahaha

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
BlaineWasHere (05-03-2013)