follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

View Poll Results: Which jab have you had?
Pfizer 53 51.96%
Moderna 27 26.47%
Johnson & Johnson 6 5.88%
AstraZeneca 4 3.92%
Novavax 0 0%
Sputnik 1 0.98%
Convidecia 0 0%
Homebrew with a big dose of something special 11 10.78%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2021, 11:26 PM   #1303
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie View Post
The prior statement:

...assumes that not wearing a mask impacts others. That assumption is false for those that are not infected. A simple test can tell us if we are, or are not infected...those not infected, and/or vaccinated should be free to go maskless....assuming everyone is a carrier/spreader is a false assumption.
What proportion of the population is tested on a daily basis?

I'll bet you there are going to be a LOT of zeros to the right of the decimal point before you get to the first significant digit. I'd also bet that the vocal anti-making crowd are significantly underrepresented among that tiny group. If you're not testing daily you don't know with certainty that you are not infectious today.

Are you certain that receiving a vaccination makes you incapable of transmitting the virus?

The CDC is not certain and suggests that until more data are available the vaccinated should wear masks.

Are there benefits to a demonstration of solidarity in the face of an intractable enemy?

There is, I think, research that demonstrates that when a people join together to make joint sacrifices for the good of the whole it has a positive effect on the morale of the whole group.

No one is assuming everyone without a mask is infectious. However, some of them certainly are. Which ones? I don't know, you don't know. Were you tested today? Yesterday? The day before? Even if you were vaccinated, how do you know you are not in the 8 percent of the vaccinated who will get the virus? Apply these questions to every adult in the country.

When you do, wearing a mask in public seems like an eminently sensible thing to do. It also demonstrates a level of respect for and consideration of the mental and physical health of everyone with whom you may come into contact.

Given that, my big question is, why do you and the other anti-makers insist on being so obnoxious about this?

What is so hard about being a decent person and wearing an effen mask?
Captain Snooze (04-04-2021), Kaotic Lazagna (04-03-2021), Opie (04-05-2021), spike021 (04-04-2021), Ultramaroon (04-04-2021), wbradley (04-04-2021), weederr33 (04-04-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 01:25 AM   #1304
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,587 Times in 2,929 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Spaulding View Post
What proportion of the population is tested on a daily basis?

I'll bet you there are going to be a LOT of zeros to the right of the decimal point before you get to the first significant digit. I'd also bet that the vocal anti-making crowd are significantly underrepresented among that tiny group. If you're not testing daily you don't know with certainty that you are not infectious today.

Are you certain that receiving a vaccination makes you incapable of transmitting the virus?

The CDC is not certain and suggests that until more data are available the vaccinated should wear masks.

Are there benefits to a demonstration of solidarity in the face of an intractable enemy?

There is, I think, research that demonstrates that when a people join together to make joint sacrifices for the good of the whole it has a positive effect on the morale of the whole group.

No one is assuming everyone without a mask is infectious. However, some of them certainly are. Which ones? I don't know, you don't know. Were you tested today? Yesterday? The day before? Even if you were vaccinated, how do you know you are not in the 8 percent of the vaccinated who will get the virus? Apply these questions to every adult in the country.

When you do, wearing a mask in public seems like an eminently sensible thing to do. It also demonstrates a level of respect for and consideration of the mental and physical health of everyone with whom you may come into contact.

Given that, my big question is, why do you and the other anti-makers insist on being so obnoxious about this?

What is so hard about being a decent person and wearing an effen mask?
A few I've witness have stated 'freedom' or 'I can't breath.' One on here said they are a 'critical thinker.' and a few honest ones just say they don't want to and left it at that. Frankly, I think the latter is the best answer.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
Old 04-04-2021, 03:07 AM   #1305
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
You are right I don't, but my daughter is working on a treatment/potential cure for Leukemia using Artic Sea Slugs....Bachelor Of Science in Chemistry Summa Cum Laude, Doctorate of Pharmacy, working on a Phd in Molecular Biology...
Old 04-04-2021, 04:28 AM   #1306
IceFyre13th

Drives: Mazdarati
Thanked 1,369 Times in 675 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Opie (04-05-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 04:44 AM   #1307
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,187 Times in 3,474 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Fuck me. It's like Groundhog Day over here. I shouldn't be surprised. I realized in my twenties while serving in the Navy, that some people are just hostile towards others. No amount of respectful engagement will help because they live in a completely different world. This is where patience and longsuffering come into play.
It helps to maintain each countries wee "cottage industries" such as manufacturing ammunition, vehicles to carry such things, persons to use such things and persons to use for target practice.. it's a "circular economy", can't escape it, need to keep breeding to keep the wheels of industry oiled... Just think if we didn't have such things @Tcoat would be building plastic models of trees, houses, kitchen white goods, and other stuff.. Where's the fun in that?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JD001 For This Useful Post:
Capt Spaulding (04-04-2021), Ultramaroon (04-04-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 09:33 AM   #1308
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
The prior statement:

...assumes that not wearing a mask impacts others. That assumption is false for those that are not infected. A simple test can tell us if we are, or are not infected...those not infected, and/or vaccinated should be free to go maskless....assuming everyone is a carrier/spreader is a false assumption.
Opie , It seems you really like to ride the edge of this don't you.

It seems you find mask wearing objectionable to the extent that you would prefer to go shopping, dining, in public etc. maskless and that's fine if it's allowed where you live. It's my choice if I want to be out there with you or not and in my case I have been fortunate that I have really only gone out for groceries and necessity rather than to be out there working every day. Assuming most people are wearing masks simply because it puts others around them at ease, and they are willing to make that concession in order to do this without a philosophical rant whether they know they are infected or not. Almost like gun laws, leave it up to individuals to carry the power to easily kill others and trust they are doing the right thing. Statistically, a very tiny percentage of people have shooting rampages, but we will never open up gun availability to citizens here. I do believe there are times when government authority is necessary mostly pertaining to the overall safety of it's citizens. Not sure why I keep hearing screaming LIBERTY!!! but in the background there is the word safety!! barely acknowledged. Anyway, the guy working Starbucks at $14/hr to finish his graduate degree really appreciates the plexiglass that keeps you separated.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
Capt Spaulding (04-04-2021), humfrz (04-04-2021), Opie (04-05-2021), Ultramaroon (04-04-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 10:07 AM   #1309
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Is this article just click-bait? Makes it seem like the vaccine isn't as perfectly safe as we might think.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...r-how-bad.html

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-2021, 10:47 AM   #1310
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
A few I've witness have stated 'freedom' or 'I can't breath.' One on here said they are a 'critical thinker.' and a few honest ones just say they don't want to and left it at that. Frankly, I think the latter is the best answer.
I don't buy the "I can't breath" excuse for a nanosecond. The assholes you see making that claim are typically flailing around and bleating at the top of their lungs about how oppressed they are. They are breathing just fine.

The last sentence should have read "What's so hard about giving a shit about anything except your own delusions of grandeur and wearing an effen mask."
JD001 (04-04-2021), soundman98 (04-04-2021), spike021 (04-04-2021), Ultramaroon (04-04-2021), wbradley (04-04-2021), weederr33 (04-04-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 11:00 AM   #1311
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1l0t View Post
Is this article just click-bait? Makes it seem like the vaccine isn't as perfectly safe as we might think.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...r-how-bad.html

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Read the last paragraph. No production process is perfect. Lets say the goal is six sigma or better. In addition to process controls there are fairly stringent quality checks to help ensure that standard is met. In this case those checks did exactly what they were supposed to do.

Rather than worry, it should make you more confident. It's probably safer than flying with PW4000s under the wings.

Last edited by Capt Spaulding; 04-04-2021 at 12:06 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Capt Spaulding For This Useful Post:
spike021 (04-04-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 11:02 AM   #1312
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Quote:
I don't buy the "I can't breath" excuse for a nanosecond. The assholes you see making that claim are typically flailing around and bleating at the top of their lungs about how oppressed they are. They are breathing just fine.

The last sentence should have read "What's so hard about giving a shit about anything except your own delusions of grandeur and wearing an effen mask."
I don't buy into the can't breath shit either. I've done enough HIIT cycle classes with the damn things on to know the bros doing their little autoerotic cable crunches are just being selfish pricks. There have been a few times were I've had to pull it away briefly just to recuperate, but that's it.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
Capt Spaulding (04-04-2021), Ultramaroon (04-04-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 11:22 AM   #1313
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: GR Corolla
Thanked 3,017 Times in 1,859 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
Quote:

What I find hilarious is these anti-maskers say that the covid virus is too small for a mask to filter/stop it, and that they won't be able to get enough oxygen with a mask on. Do they not realize that oxygen molecules are far smaller than viruses?

I have shown that video to an anti-masker on facebook who was keeping their discussion going up until I posted that video. Then silence....
Old 04-04-2021, 11:33 AM   #1314
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post

What I find hilarious is these anti-maskers say that the covid virus is too small for a mask to filter/stop it, and that they won't be able to get enough oxygen with a mask on. Do they not realize that oxygen molecules are far smaller than viruses?

I have shown that video to an anti-masker on facebook who was keeping their discussion going up until I posted that video. Then silence....
Yup, it's been proven time and time again. Also what's funny is, a few years ago those altitude masks (aka Bane masks) were all the rage! Yet now people have to wear masks they throw a tantrum.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
Old 04-04-2021, 11:50 AM   #1315
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I can accept that a few people may indeed have an underlying condition making it hard to breathe with a mask. My grandfather, for example... WWII vet, went through gas chamber training where you had no mask... And smoked for many years. He ended up with emphysema. Playing harmonica extended his life because it exercised his lungs. On supplemental oxygen at the end.

I also understand the anxiety that comes with masking for the first time. The change in how it feels to breathe. And the impact anxiety has on your body. I learned to evaluate whether I was actually having difficulty or not by nearly drowning... discovering I had enough still and oh do this and I'll surface... Ahh, sweet sweet air!

So most "I can't breathe" are probably anxiety, which is often culturally problematic... Or just some whiny arse.

C
Spuds (04-04-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 11:56 AM   #1316
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,187 Times in 3,474 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
I can accept that a few people may indeed have an underlying condition making it hard to breathe with a mask. My grandfather, for example... WWII vet, went through gas chamber training where you had no mask... And smoked for many years. He ended up with emphysema. Playing harmonica extended his life because it exercised his lungs. On supplemental oxygen at the end.

I also understand the anxiety that comes with masking for the first time. The change in how it feels to breathe. And the impact anxiety has on your body. I learned to evaluate whether I was actually having difficulty or not by nearly drowning... discovering I had enough still and oh do this and I'll surface... Ahh, sweet sweet air!

So most "I can't breathe" are probably anxiety, which is often culturally problematic... Or just some whiny arse.

C

I used to wear a respo bandit mask when out and about on my MTB! That was yucky, exercising and trying to get great gulps of air wasn't too much fun but wearing a lightweight mask out shopping is no great shakes, put it on when entering a shop and take it off when leaving the shop.. that's very easy and not too stressing..
Closed Thread

Tags
eagle5 got sandy vag, tread harder daddy, tylerlieberman is a cuck