follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 03-24-2021, 08:50 PM   #1
Nictheguy

Drives: 2014 Firestorm FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Strange Loud Noise

Hello! I've been hearing a strange loud noise the past few months, to the best of my knowledge it is coming from the front.

The sound is not reproducible on demand. So I could not jump in and go make the noise happen. I have tried many times. It usually happens after about 13 miles (half freeway half streets), around the same exact area. That area involves a slight left turn into a left turn lane, then the normal left turn, and then a light right curve before turning into an uphill straight. It doesn't happen every time and it doesn't matter if I am turning or going straight. It does only happen at speeds of about 5-20 MPH. It seems to start when I let off the gas after the slight left, but it will continue with the gas pedal pressed. Other times it would start after I make the left turn, or during. The noise does not happen often, maybe once a week or once every other week.

In mid February I heard it faintly as I let off the gas and approached the left turn so I started recording and got a good video. Toward the end is when you hear it the best.

Since that video the noise rarely happened again, maybe once every other week, if at all. I haven't taken it anywhere to get looked at as it drives perfectly normal and I can't reproduce the noise. It'll only happen sometimes in that area.

Coming home today it happened again just like in the video, really loud, except I noticed the steering wheel vibrating a bit more than usual during the noise. I had not noticed that the previous times it happened, so maybe it was not related. This time it happened for 1 second during the left turn, then 30 seconds after that little blurp it started again a good way up the hill, going straight. It lasted for 7 seconds. I pulled the dashcam video which is how I figured that. Couldn't reproduce it again once it was gone. It sounded the same as the video I posted.

Has anybody heard a noise like this before? Any idea what it could be? I've been trying to figure it out for a while and I can't find anything that sounds like it online in any videos. This started happening in January (I think) and it has happened probably 7-10 times since then.

My car is a 2014 FRS, only mods are stage 1 OFT 91 gas, RSR Super Down springs (about 1.5 inch drop), 18in Rota Grids, TRD exhaust and TRD intake. I've had this FRS for just over 6 years and it has about 60K miles on it. I've only done the regular oil changes and other minor things, nothing major. The car hasn't been in any accidents or had any parts replaced (other than springs and wheels/tires). Thank you for taking the time to help out!

Last edited by Nictheguy; 03-24-2021 at 09:01 PM.
Nictheguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nictheguy For This Useful Post:
humfrz (03-25-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 10:36 PM   #2
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Wheel bearing

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 12:37 AM   #3
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
It could be a few things, wheel bearings as mentioned.
Another ideas I can come up with is bad ball joints, top hats on the front struts are loose making the springs move a tad. Sway bars bushings

Heck, long shot but could be the throw out bearing?
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.ac For This Useful Post:
Nictheguy (03-25-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 01:00 AM   #4
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nictheguy View Post
Hello! I've been hearing a strange loud noise the past few months, to the best of my knowledge it is coming from the front.

Thank you for taking the time to help out!
I have no idea what is making that sound.

I would suggest that you take your car to a good alignment shop, explain what is going on and ask them to inspect the front end suspension parts while they are checking the alignment.

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Nictheguy (03-25-2021), soundman98 (03-26-2021)