follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 06-02-2017, 01:48 PM   #197
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,674 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
I'd stick with the matte, personally.
I think it depends on the colour of the car as well. Mine's red and my fins are gloss black so I'd want these gloss as well.
StraightOuttaCanadaEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 01:08 PM   #198
SpectreRT

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Has anyone had issues with fitment using the rain guards with a CAI such as Grimmspeed, Injen, etc?

Just eyeballing it, I cant tell if I will run into a clearance issue or not.

Interested in any feedback that can be provided.
@VeloxEric
SpectreRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 01:15 PM   #199
VerusEric

Drives: BRZ, STI, GT350R, Supra, 987.2
Thanked 2,529 Times in 780 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectreRT View Post
Has anyone had issues with fitment using the rain guards with a CAI such as Grimmspeed, Injen, etc?

Just eyeballing it, I cant tell if I will run into a clearance issue or not.

Interested in any feedback that can be provided.
@VeloxEric
I don't think you'd have any issues, I have not been made aware of any fitment issues to date. Even with the rain guards installed (which are not very deep), I think the structural metal beneath the hood is further down than the louver/rain guard.

Thanks,
Eric
VerusEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:54 PM   #200
SpectreRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloxEric View Post
I don't think you'd have any issues, I have not been made aware of any fitment issues to date. Even with the rain guards installed (which are not very deep), I think the structural metal beneath the hood is further down than the louver/rain guard.

Thanks,
Eric
Thanks! Looking forward to receiving these. Will post pics when complete.
The Following User Says Thank You to SpectreRT For This Useful Post:
VerusEric (06-21-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 11:46 PM   #201
jaorocks1

Drives: 92 Prelude
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
We had a customer ask us to design some for the rear of the hood even though it is a much higher pressure zone. So far, with the wickers in place, it is evacuating air from under hood as well.

May not be everyone's cup of tea but if enough people ask for it we can do a small production run of these as well.

Thanks,
Eric
Can I purchase just the two uppers? I'll be the test bunny lol
jaorocks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 03:36 PM   #202
VerusEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaorocks1 View Post
Can I purchase just the two uppers? I'll be the test bunny lol
We'll look into doing a small run of these rear ones.

Thanks,
Eric
Old 06-21-2017, 05:08 PM   #203
PitViper

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS Limited Edition
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
We'll look into doing a small run of these rear ones.

Thanks,
Eric
I want in on that too.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
PitViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 10:52 AM   #204
SpectreRT

Quote:

Thanks,
Eric
Are the vents supposed to have a curvature (bend) to them? I got my package today from FT86SF...
- the smaller vents are flat. Rain guards fit flush.
- the larger vents have a curve/bend to them. Also, my large vents have scratches on them. Is there a suggested matte finish black to patch it up that you suggest?
Old 06-22-2017, 10:56 AM   #205
VerusEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectreRT View Post
Are the vents supposed to have a curvature (bend) to them? I got my package today from FT86SF...
- the smaller vents are flat. Rain guards fit flush.
- the larger vents have a curve/bend to them. Also, my large vents have scratches on them. Is there a suggested matte finish black to patch it up that you suggest?
Sometimes when being powder coated (the heating of the parts) they get a slight bend to them but they will sit flat on the car without a problem. This is normal and nothing to worry about.

The scratches are not normal and could have occurred in shipping, I check each one as we wrap them and am quite picky. Please send some pictures to sales@velox-motorsports.com so we can look into this. Sharpie could potentially work but I'd like to see it first, please.

Thanks,
Eric
The Following User Says Thank You to VerusEric For This Useful Post:
Surok (01-04-2018)
Old 06-22-2017, 01:25 PM   #206
SpectreRT

Quote:
Sometimes when being powder coated (the heating of the parts) they get a slight bend to them but they will sit flat on the car without a problem. This is normal and nothing to worry about.

The scratches are not normal and could have occurred in shipping, I check each one as we wrap them and am quite picky. Please send some pictures to sales@velox-motorsports.com so we can look into this. Sharpie could potentially work but I'd like to see it first, please.

Thanks,
Eric
Thanks for the super-fast reply.

I'm not really worried about the scratches, I can get it "close enough" with a matte black color somewhere - or maybe even Sharpie as you mentioned. These are tiny scratches (less than a quarter inch each). Just a blemish; no need for return, shipment, etc.

I was more concerned about the warped look, but if it'll compress down during install - than I'm not worried at all.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:50 PM   #207
PitViper

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS Limited Edition
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Out on a drive. Old and new Jen vents.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
PitViper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PitViper For This Useful Post:
Surok (01-04-2018), VerusEric (07-04-2017)
Old 09-10-2018, 07:23 PM   #208
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
@VerusEric can we get some pics/info on the S550 vents that was posted to your IG story? Will any testing be done?

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:30 PM   #209
VerusEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
@VerusEric can we get some pics/info on the S550 vents that was posted to your IG story? Will any testing be done?
I'll see what I can do for photos. Clay (our salesman) wanted to do something different than everyone else so he grabbed those and installed them.

They do require cutting the hood's structural support but all our hood louvers are fairly universal and he did a great job installing them. Using our CFD, I'd say the louvers are a bit further rearward than "optimal" but I'm confident they work well, especially with the wickers we include with every louver we offer.

I had not planned to do any testing, it takes a lot of work to do what we did initially. I spent a full day sensoring the car, testing before and afters, video of tufts, etc. The FRS/BRZ louvers are in the best location as far as evacuation goes according to our CFD.

The hood louvers themselves are similar to our standard FRS/BRZ offering in louver design and wicker design. I tuft tested them on an S550 and they worked the same as the FRS/BRZ video.

Thanks,
Eric
The Following User Says Thank You to VerusEric For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (09-10-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 12:04 PM   #210
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerusEric View Post
I'll see what I can do for photos. Clay (our salesman) wanted to do something different than everyone else so he grabbed those and installed them.

They do require cutting the hood's structural support but all our hood louvers are fairly universal and he did a great job installing them. Using our CFD, I'd say the louvers are a bit further rearward than "optimal" but I'm confident they work well, especially with the wickers we include with every louver we offer.

I had not planned to do any testing, it takes a lot of work to do what we did initially. I spent a full day sensoring the car, testing before and afters, video of tufts, etc. The FRS/BRZ louvers are in the best location as far as evacuation goes according to our CFD.

The hood louvers themselves are similar to our standard FRS/BRZ offering in louver design and wicker design. I tuft tested them on an S550 and they worked the same as the FRS/BRZ video.

Thanks,
Eric
Thanks for the reply. I thought they might be a bit far from optimal but would still probably work to some degree, especially considering they are larger. Figured it was a long shot you would test but the answer is always no until you ask right? lol

If he could post some pics on IG outside of the story even that would be cool. Just sucks when they disappear so quick.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote