follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-09-2012, 09:20 PM   #1
Snozzberries

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Road Trip for Pick Up

Hey all,
New here, but hopefully I will start contributing a lot more soon as I am getting ready to pickup my Scion FR-S in Whiteout. Only thing is, I live in Northern California\Nevada, and the car I have my deposit on is out in Nebraska... But I am going to make the best of this, by making the drive back as fun as possible. So if anyone is near I80 between Nebraska and Northern California let me know if there are any meet ups nearby or just flat out awesome driving areas I need to check out.
Snozzberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:51 PM   #2
Rossman

Drives: '22 BRZ, '17 BRZ (prev '13 FR-S)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I love that you are doing this, please take pictures of your trip and share them with us!
Rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:13 PM   #3
Zach

Drives: 13 FR-S Black MT
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
This is the best way to pick up a car and bond with it, I'm a bit jealous. Remember not to use the cruse control and keep the revs varying but other than that
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:39 PM   #4
cobrabyte

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2002 WRX
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Garage
I drove from Texas to North Carolina to pick up my BRZ. Like Zach mentioned, be sure to vary your revs. We made plenty of stops on the way back and did all sorts of RPM ranges. Fun trip!

Have fun and be safe. Congrats on the new car!
cobrabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:59 PM   #5
SkitterSkotter

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (Hot Lava)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snozzberries View Post
Hey all,
New here, but hopefully I will start contributing a lot more soon as I am getting ready to pickup my Scion FR-S in Whiteout. Only thing is, I live in Northern California\Nevada, and the car I have my deposit on is out in Nebraska... But I am going to make the best of this, by making the drive back as fun as possible. So if anyone is near I80 between Nebraska and Northern California let me know if there are any meet ups nearby or just flat out awesome driving areas I need to check out.
I HIGHLY recommend you swinging through the Boulder, Colorado area and hitting up left hand canyon, loveland pass, and trail ridge road. You can even take the peak to peak highway. On the way home head down I-70 and glennwood canyon, it is quite iconic. Plus, the stretch of highway afterward is awesome, when I drove that last year I just cruised at like 95mph for a couple of hours without flaw.
SkitterSkotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:01 PM   #6
FRiSson

Drives: FR-S MT
I had to drive my FR-S 900 miles after I picked it up. I ended up using a mix of rural highways and Interstates. I deliberately varied the speed every few minutes by about 10 mph, varying between about 60-70 on the Interstate and 50-60 on smaller roads. You can set the speedo to give you a warning buzzer as you approach 4,000 rpm. Also, set the indicator to tell you what gear you are in. I took me a little while to learn the new shift pattern. The seats feel very enclosing when you first drive it, but in a little while you'll get used to them. Just give it a little time. Also, there is very little clearance underneath, so be extra careful when transitioning from the highway to driveways.
FRiSson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:25 AM   #7
Snozzberries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossman View Post
I love that you are doing this, please take pictures of your trip and share them with us!
I have a special idea planned. Needless to say there will be plenty of images and possibly some very interesting extras!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
This is the best way to pick up a car and bond with it, I'm a bit jealous. Remember not to use the cruse control and keep the revs varying but other than that
I honestly can't wait, I test drove an automatic locally and am hooked on that so the manual will, as I can only expect, make me fall in love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrabyte View Post
I drove from Texas to North Carolina to pick up my BRZ. Like Zach mentioned, be sure to vary your revs. We made plenty of stops on the way back and did all sorts of RPM ranges. Fun trip!
Have fun and be safe. Congrats on the new car!
Thank you, I can't wait and will definitely document the experience well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkitterSkotter View Post
I HIGHLY recommend you swinging through the Boulder, Colorado area and hitting up left hand canyon, loveland pass, and trail ridge road. You can even take the peak to peak highway. On the way home head down I-70 and glennwood canyon, it is quite iconic. Plus, the stretch of highway afterward is awesome, when I drove that last year I just cruised at like 95mph for a couple of hours without flaw.
This is a great idea and I will definitely check out those roads. I can't wait to see what this thing can do in the corners; while being safe .

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRiSson View Post
I had to drive my FR-S 900 miles after I picked it up. I ended up using a mix of rural highways and Interstates. I deliberately varied the speed every few minutes by about 10 mph, varying between about 60-70 on the Interstate and 50-60 on smaller roads. You can set the speedo to give you a warning buzzer as you approach 4,000 rpm. Also, set the indicator to tell you what gear you are in. I took me a little while to learn the new shift pattern. The seats feel very enclosing when you first drive it, but in a little while you'll get used to them. Just give it a little time. Also, there is very little clearance underneath, so be extra careful when transitioning from the highway to driveways.
Thanks for the idea, and I didn't even think to use the electronics. I know I want to check them out though so I will play with the warning buzz. Also, I really want to play with the shift timings, considering even trying to get an ODB readout and record that, just a maybe though.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:01 AM   #8
imravenit
give us this day

Drives: AE86 - FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
i would suggest before you drive off the dealer.. tell them you will fill her gas tank up.. since all of these chirping noises are all over the forum.. so that way you can select the octane level im not sure if it matters since the highest we have that are easily available is 91 octane.. but anyways... also i would suggest you have them double check the engine and trans oil!!! as we all know we have some members here driving off the dealer and the dealer forgot to put a trans fluid.. otherwise good luck and have fun!
Old 07-10-2012, 01:35 AM   #9
Snozzberries

Quote:
Originally Posted by imravenit View Post
i would suggest before you drive off the dealer.. tell them you will fill her gas tank up.. since all of these chirping noises are all over the forum.. so that way you can select the octane level im not sure if it matters since the highest we have that are easily available is 91 octane.. but anyways... also i would suggest you have them double check the engine and trans oil!!! as we all know we have some members here driving off the dealer and the dealer forgot to put a trans fluid.. otherwise good luck and have fun!
That's a good call, I will definitely remember to ask about that. I am sure they will be glad to if I ask.