follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 08-26-2022, 02:07 PM   #995
chipmunk

Drives: _
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
So is the radiation coming from the sun. Doesn't it stand to reason that the same CO2 is blocking the sun's IR?
chipmunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 02:09 PM   #996
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmunk View Post
IR cameras read IR radiation, not heat. This shows nothing about absorption.
You must be trolling. Nobody is constantly so wrong without trolling. It is impossible.

Go look up how infrared cameras work.

My god man.
Irace86.2.0 (08-26-2022), NoHaveMSG (08-26-2022)
Old 08-26-2022, 02:12 PM   #997
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
So is the radiation coming from the sun. Doesn't it stand to reason that the same CO2 is blocking the sun's IR?
Did you not take grade 7 science?
Irace86.2.0 (08-26-2022), NoHaveMSG (08-26-2022)
Old 08-26-2022, 02:18 PM   #998
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
What the hell, man, that's some serious pretzel logic...
I mean, yeah, I guess it makes perfect sense to equate the effort required to improve emissions of ONE airliner, to ONE car?!
Actually, it's reducing the emissions on one passenger plane versus 580,000 cars.

I agree its a little twisted, but converting one passenger plane to Hydrogen would make a huge difference relative to 1 car.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 02:23 PM   #999
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
...We obviously want to address all parts of the pie chart, but passenger vehicles should be the main focus.
My point is passenger cars have been the main focus literally for decades, to the point where we are down to where we have to decrease CO2 in supporting industries to make a difference. Exchanging ICE for EV is a very debatable "solve the problem" thing to me.

Most of this was tongue in cheek, but there is a smidgen of truth in what I'm saying.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (08-26-2022), Spuds (08-26-2022)
Old 08-26-2022, 02:25 PM   #1000
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Actually, it's reducing the emissions on one passenger plane versus 580,000 cars.

I agree its a little twisted, but converting one passenger plane to Hydrogen would make a huge difference relative to 1 car.
But the *effort* required to "convert" one passenger plane to hydrogen? EVEN HUGER! It's just an absurd comparison all around.

And again, reduce plane emissions to ZERO, *and also ships and trains*, and that's only as much as if you reduce "light-duty" vehicle emissions by 21%. Which is easily doable even without changing technologies, just give trucks/SUVs the same CAFE mpg requirements as cars, and don't give bigger cars a CAFE break vs. smaller cars.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (08-26-2022)
Old 08-26-2022, 02:39 PM   #1001
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes, just like a blanket would help block the sun from directly hitting your body if you were laying out in the sun, but it would also insulate heat from leaving, which is the bigger problem. You would be better off laying on the beach without a blanket on top of you than with.

It isn’t a perfect analogy, but from the quote and from your reading you should should have learned that the visible spectrum passes through CO2 to the Earth, but is radiated back out as IR, which gets trapped, so more is getting trapped than getting reflected.
Old 08-26-2022, 02:43 PM   #1002
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
My point is passenger cars have been the main focus literally for decades, to the point where we are down to where we have to decrease CO2 in supporting industries to make a difference. Exchanging ICE for EV is a very debatable "solve the problem" thing to me.

Most of this was tongue in cheek, but there is a smidgen of truth in what I'm saying.
I get your point, but it might even be easier to switch to biofuels from plants and carbon capture than transforming planes and cargo ships to run on hydrogen and to build the supportive industry than to move to BEVs. I think moving to both is probably going to happen at the same time with some investment going everywhere, so doing both isn’t mutually exclusive.
Dadhawk (08-26-2022)
Old 08-26-2022, 02:44 PM   #1003
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
But the *effort* required to "convert" one passenger plane to hydrogen? EVEN HUGER! It's just an absurd comparison all around.

And again, reduce plane emissions to ZERO, *and also ships and trains*, and that's only as much as if you reduce "light-duty" vehicle emissions by 21%. Which is easily doable even without changing technologies, just give trucks/SUVs the same CAFE mpg requirements as cars, and don't give bigger cars a CAFE break vs. smaller cars.
A reduction is a reduction, doesn't matter where it is done.

There have already been a "commercial grade" 6 passenger plane (ZeroAvia) that has flown on Hydrogen.

Airbus has committed to flying a full zero emission aircraft by 2035. They are working on converting an A380 (SN001 used as a testing mule) for testing.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Spuds (08-26-2022)
Old 08-26-2022, 03:10 PM   #1004
ZDan

Quote:
A reduction is a reduction, doesn't matter where it is done.
Your original point was that bigger cuts could be more reasonably made with planes. This is NOWHERE NEAR true. Big cuts in aircraft emissions are going to be *exceedingly difficult* to realize, and still won't affect overall CO2 emissions anything like as much as could be *easily* achieved in cars.

FWIW, I'm an aerospace engineer and have studied and modeled aircraft performance. Liquid hydrogen carries *way* less energy per volume than jet fuel, so you need about 4x the volume for similar range. Add to that it needs to be kept at cryogenic temperatures!
For gaseous hydrogen, even lower energy density by volume, even at 10,000psi! These are huge fundamental problems.

Also, while burning hydrogen + oxygen gives water, you can rest assured a LOT of energy was expended producing that hydrogen, and storing it.

Quote:
There have already been a "commercial grade" 6 passenger plane (ZeroAvia) that has flown on Hydrogen.
One normal engine and one electric motor driven prop powered by hydrogen fuel cells? Let me know when commercial flights with this plane happen... I'm fricking DUBIOUS!

Quote:
Airbus has committed to flying a full zero emission aircraft by 2035. They are working on converting an A380 (SN001 used as a testing mule) for testing.
That is a demonstrator for hydrogen combustion, not a hydrogen aircraft. Those dainty little tanks are just to power a small jet engine mounted cutely to one side of the top of the fuselage. The engines the plane is using to actually fly are conventional.

This is a long LONG way from a "hydrogen airliner"!
Old 08-26-2022, 03:13 PM   #1005
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,433 Times in 6,148 Posts
Quote:
Here is an article that does a good job explaining the phenomenon.

https://news.climate.columbia.edu/20...house%20effect.

TLDR, CO2 specifically acts on Infrared light. The light coming in is more visible light (hence daylight), which is not affected by CO2. The light leaving is more infrared light (earth doesn't visibly glow last I checked), half of which is reflected by CO2. So CO2 allows all the visible light in, but reflects half the infrared light going out.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 03:23 PM   #1006
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Your original point was that bigger cuts could be more reasonably made with planes.
My point was that bigger improvements potentially could be gained by reducing emissions on other forms of transport at this point. The focus has been almost exclusively on private vehicles for decades with disproportionately little attention paid to other areas that could have just as big an impact.

Look, I get it, you don't agree. OK, fair enough. I do truly believe at this point though if all new cars sold tomorrow were zero emissions, and the production of the power that drives them was zero emissions, it would be decades (based on sale through of the fleet) before there would be a significant difference. It's time to turn this into a stronger multifront effort.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Spuds (08-26-2022)
Old 08-26-2022, 03:24 PM   #1007
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
This is a long LONG way from a "hydrogen airliner"!
You gotta start somewhere.

Old 08-26-2022, 03:31 PM   #1008
ZDan

Quote:
My point was that bigger improvements potentially could be gained by reducing emissions on other forms of transport at this point. The focus has been almost exclusively on private vehicles for decades with disproportionately little attention paid to other areas that could have just as big an impact.
No, cars/trucks/SUVs are *still*, *BY FAR* the low-hanging fruit.

By design, most in the US are driving oversized overweight incredibly gas-guzzling trucks and SUVs I mean it's almost as if the regulations are written by the fossil fuel and US auto industries...

"Light-duty" vehicles are by far the major contributor of greenhouse gas emissions in the transportations sector, and are also EXACTLY where we could *easily* see meaningful, HUGE reductions. Unlike with aircraft, which overall contribute less, and for which getting big reductions is going to be *exceedingly* difficult.

Quote:
I do truly believe at this point though if all new cars sold tomorrow were zero emissions, and the production of the power that drives them was zero emissions, it would be decades (based on sale through of the fleet) before there would be a significant difference. It's time to turn this into a stronger multifront effort.
Yeah, even if we stop emitting CO2 right now, levels will be above 400ppm for decades and we will continue to see the effects of that. But that doesn't mean we should just keep emitting as much as we can, that will be even worse!

Big changes need to happen, and a lot of them would *benefit* the people and make their lives BETTER. But we have to have representation that doesn't serve fossil fuel industry and BANKS. Indeed it looks pretty grim...
The Following User Says Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (08-26-2022)